Official Monster Truck "Silly Season" 2K17 Thread

30 minutes ago, enjoyingorc6742 said:

but a best trick competition would be pointless. Lee did the First clean front flip and landed it. remember Cam Mcqueen pulling off that first backflip in competition? same as that.

Yea and he lost to Taz. Same as World Finals 12 to Avenger. One move does not equate to a championship. Up until the front flip, O'Donnell's run was pretty subpar. The front flip was the only thing that made his run standout. Meanwhile, Elliott gets big air 4-5 times, a save, back-flip, and a reverse back-flip, plus a wild few last seconds and somehow doesn't win.

Here's the thing. I hate when guys that are on their A game and put down amazing runs are out done by a sub-par performance with one wow factor. Neil has been very deserving of a championship in freestyle, so has Ryan Anderson and Koehler. i wish this taken more seriously rather than it being just entertainment. i know my competitive side would show and id be po'd. Avenger did an amazing run and hes not on corporate pay roll. He went out tore up his truck and put down a top notch freestyle.

23 minutes ago, Tylinater said:

Yea and he lost to Taz.

I'm not going to get super involved in this, but I will point out that Cam's first backflip was after bonus time. If you don't believe me, here's the video of the run, and you can see the bonus clock in the background hit zero a good 10 seconds before he hits the back flip ramp. Even if we are running on the "last move after time counts" rule (which when I was a judge it absolutely did not) he could only have it contribute to his bonus score. If he did that in regulation I have no doubt in my mind he'd have won the event.

Also at WF XII, he only lost on a tie-breaker after holding the lead for the entirety of freestyle, i know that's not winning, but losing on a tie-breaker score (the second of three tie-breakers I believe even) is as absolutely close to winning as you can get without actually doing it.

And overall (not directed at anyone on this site) I really think the discussion surrounding this subject is ridiculous every year including this year. The discussion itself is fine sure, but the way it's being carried out in a lot of places (mainly Facebook) is ridiculous. The man went out there and did his best and broke down into tears in front of the entire stadium and his family when he won. Even if you disagree with his score there's no point in just tearing someone down because of it. There's a good way to discuss all of this but half the discussion is just ragging on Lee, from the same damn people who got pissed and bashed Tom when they re-ran their race however long ago causing Lee to loose his shot at the championship. Why can't people just be happy for someone for once?

• Upvote 3

I can see why Lee O'Donnell won. It is the first time ever a perfect front flip was landed. It may be one of the only times we see it. As long as stadiums are setup for Jersey, Chicago and So Cal(If they do that style anymore) we won't be seeing front flips as often as wee see back flips. The only place, based on the way they setup the tracks that the front flip is possible will probably be in Las Vegas, even then, the track gets at least slight changes year after year, so the way they set it up in the future could negate any front flip attempt. It just happened that this year, it was set up perfectly for it to happen.

And let's be real, in Monster Jam it's almost always been about having the biggest "Wow factor" when it comes to freestyle. When you put judging into all the fans hands most of them don't really care about momentum, and all the judging criteria. Most people are going to judge by the one crazy move they saw, not the whole run.

• Upvote 3

The world keeps turnin', people keep bitching about freestyle scores. Was Neil's run better overall? Absolutely, but take a step back, lets just appreciate how difficult what Lee did was and the one in a million chance of it happening again as perfectly as it did. The guy put himself and his equipment in an extremely dangerous situation to entertain everyone watching. I mean for crying outloud, look at how freaking viral it went...
This instance of one move defining a winning run was a special circumstance. 

• Upvote 3

Can we take a minute and say how god damn dangerous Jim Koehler is gonna be with the new Avenger? Seriously first show out and finishes 4th or 3rd in racing and 3rd in freestyle, which I think is when averaging performance the highest racing/freestyle finish of the weekend

People if you want a good tough chassis Cory Rummell is your guy

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Pink Guy said:

Can we take a minute and say how god damn dangerous Jim Koehler is gonna be with the new Avenger? Seriously first show out and finishes 4th or 3rd in racing and 3rd in freestyle, which I think is when averaging performance the highest racing/freestyle finish of the weekend

People if you want a good tough chassis Cory Rummell is your guy

I say he should keep running the s10 body and chassis.

48 minutes ago, Tylinater said:

Wasn't Preston Perez driving Nasty Boy?

I too feel the need to quote the post directly above mine.

Why am I here?

protip: if you remove the photo from your quoted post, it reduces clutter. who'd have thought that be true 'round these parts eh?