Show Your Projects Chapter 54

NavySonicShell

22 hours ago, Helen Weales said:

Okay, about Garrett's paint -- I think the main issue is he mostly uses the basic palette colors from whatever editing program being used. This often gives the illusion of looking "cheap" or reminds one of clip art whereas custom colors don't as much. Another issue is there is no sheen to anything on the trucks, everything is flat, I can only assume his graphic card doesn't allow for any more. If so, turning up the graphics up for screenshots would help immensely. But overall most of the colors being used also do not work well together.

Garrett, if you're serious about graphic design, I recommend reading a bit on color theory and studying existing designs that use lots of color (of any sort of object/product; painting, clothing, race cars, product packaging etc). One last thing I recommend (if you're serious about graphic design), find out if you have any sort of color blindness -- approximately 40% of men have some form of it so it's important to know. I hope none of this seems rude, I'm only trying to be helpful because I can tell you work very hard and are really trying. Keep it up, but take it slowly.

@Garrett Hanson

All very true, never settle for basic colors as you can always get the perfect shade of any color you want if you take the time to find it. It doesn't look like he is using a bake and layering over it which is likely due to being new or not knowing how yet (don't worry, it's quite simple). Everyone should turn up their graphics when taking screenshots, there really isn't a reason not to do so.

That's good advice for anyone on here actually as I'm sure most have a mild form of interest in graphic design or game asset creation but a good monitor can also be a massive help as well. If you're never sure on what colors will work together well then a few minutes spent searching should provide you with sufficient information and examples regarded color theory. I don't think you came off as rude, a tad blunt yes but it's all excellent advice.

2 hours ago, leggster said:

I don't think its the fact that they look "cheap" as much as it is that they're very basic.. Not really a whole lot going  on through out the "paint scheme" i guess you could say... I've been designing non stop for the past 2 going on 3 years now and I've learned a lot and i remember when i was like him as well. A few drop shadows and crazy colors will go a long way!!! He'll get better as time goes on..

It's a bit of both if we're being honest but there isn't anything wrong with that. It's often better to keep things more towards the simple side of the spectrum for design and color and will make understanding basic color theory more simplified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementary_colors

http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/basic-color-theory

9 minutes ago, Mr. Self Destruct said:

So what you basically did was took 3 Max-D truck files, removed the body on one, gave on an already-made paint, and switched the tires and rims on all?

pretty much (expect the right side of the tires need fixing), blasie informed me to wait until he drops the updated Max-D pack.

5 hours ago, Garrett Hanson said:

pretty much (expect the right side of the tires need fixing), blasie informed me to wait until he drops the updated Max-D pack.

So in other words you didnt really do anything "show your projects" worthy? The basic noob can switch tires and rims. Please expand your abilities. Learn how to paint and bake bodies in blender. There are plenty tutorials out there that show you how.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, RKM said:

All very true, never settle for basic colors as you can always get the perfect shade of any color you want if you take the time to find it. It doesn't look like he is using a bake and layering over it which is likely due to being new or not knowing how yet (don't worry, it's quite simple). Everyone should turn up their graphics when taking screenshots, there really isn't a reason not to do so.

That's good advice for anyone on here actually as I'm sure most have a mild form of interest in graphic design or game asset creation but a good monitor can also be a massive help as well. If you're never sure on what colors will work together well then a few minutes spent searching should provide you with sufficient information and examples regarded color theory. I don't think you came off as rude, a tad blunt yes but it's all excellent advice.

It's a bit of both if we're being honest but there isn't anything wrong with that. It's often better to keep things more towards the simple side of the spectrum for design and color and will make understanding basic color theory more simplified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementary_colors

http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/basic-color-theory

Exactly right, if you play your cards right you can make a simple design pretty slick...

13 hours ago, Garrett Hanson said:

Please for the love of god if all you're ever gonna do is switch tires, make them all go the correct way.

As some of you may know I was trying to do some truck edits (cause i cant figure out blender to do my own from scratch customs) But here is what I have been working on

screenshot_4_zpsrgtuquo0.png

This is an edit of Taurus Racer 13's Leaf Spring truck from his leafer pack. When this is done if he gives me permission I will post it.

• Upvote 1

This is my next truck im going to finish and upload, its the 2015 Grave Digger Blackout. Im going to do 4 trucks in this pack

Here is my progress, just finished the paint. Ignore the rims, or the other parts of the truck, ill change them later. 

Any suggestion? (just in the paint)

AEi6kHF.pngsaJy2Dw.pngkUIUCXb.png