Let's talk about: Upgrading

Edy

Since i made this: 

I've been using Blender 2.78, and honestly, 2.49b it's thrash compared to this new version & I've also been using ROR 0.4 way more, which makes 0.37 look like trash as well.

I've been using Blender mainly to learn animation and other cool stuff, super dope. ROR is just to mess around.

I'm to sound like @RockCrwlr, but WE REALLY need to FULLY upgrade 

I know we all like old 0.37 ROR & old 2.49b Blender, but god, both newer versions give us more options, posibilities and honestly better handling of a lot of things, and there isn't many stuff that changed.

Blender has a way better interface, and much better handling, now even laptop users can model even if they don't have a numpad and/or mouse.

ROR, apart from the most notable thing that is .tern2 is almost the same as it used to be, trucks handle "better", tracks looks better, and it's better on FPS.

• But, but, Edy, there's no OGRE exporter for Blender 2.78, is it? You are an idiot, kill yourself

Yes there is, i'm going to test it and i'll come back with results: https://bitbucket.org/iboshkov/blender2ogre 

• But, but, Edy, i can't use toolkit for mi tracks on 0.4

Yes you can, make a .tern file and edit it normally on the toolkit, then convert it to 0.4

• Haven't we moved to 0.4 already?

Not fully, there's people that still prefer 0.37 over 0.4, etc. etc.

Any points you would like to make, opinions on the topic, etc. are super acepted

Please be respectful.

• Upvote 2

edy, this is kinda funny because i remember making a thread exactly like this, but then people got triggered and mad and said that the people should be free and they shouldn't have to upgrade (which i find pretty stupid tbh just considering that it's almost 2017 yet people are still using old stuff).

so although it's a good thread (tbh i love this thread and i support it) the whole upgrading thing won't happen because people are gonna get ticked and be like "oi but i loved 0.37 ;-;" "oi i loved blender 2.49b" "oi i loved the old stuff".

Random question that's kind of on topic...

I've recently decided to make the switch to .4.6, which is indeed a massive improvement to my old version, .38. However, the one thing that's really bugging me about .4 is the default camera angle. The depth of field of the 3rd person camera make every track I'm on seem huge and stretched, which is really different and kind of annoying. The cinematic and first person are fine, but usually I drive 3rd person. I've tried adjusting the default FOV in the settings and turning camera pitching on/off, but it still comes out like this. My question is is there anyway to go into my files and just copy and paste my camera settings from .38? If so, how? Here's a comparison... (.38 on the left, .4 on the right)

GdsTlTh.jpg 

Thanks in advance!

The only thing better about 0.3x than 0.4.6 is the cinematic camera. The cinematic on 0.4 tends to go into the walls and stuff, while 0.3x stays closer to the truck to avoid that problem.

Anything else received a huge improvement (and became obsolete in 0.3x) in 0.4x.

I 100% support this as 0.37 is my worst enemy. I made the mistake of learning truck making in 0.4 and testing it in 0.37 became a nightmare until I even had the slightest clue of what I was doing.

Blender 2.49b is perfectly fine for me considering I use Blender for nothing more than truck making. I feel like switching over would just result in me going backwards anyway (back to 2.49). I'm just too comfortable with 2.49.

17 hours ago, Chris B said:

I've recently decided to make the switch to .4.6, which is indeed a massive improvement to my old version, .38. However, the one thing that's really bugging me about .4 is the default camera angle. The depth of field of the 3rd person camera make every track I'm on seem huge and stretched, which is really different and kind of annoying. The cinematic and first person are fine, but usually I drive 3rd person. I've tried adjusting the default FOV in the settings and turning camera pitching on/off, but it still comes out like this. My question is is there anyway to go into my files and just copy and paste my camera settings from .38? If so, how? Here's a comparison... (.38 on the left, .4 on the right)

Thanks in advance!

use the number pad on your keyboard. number 7 lowers the FOV and ctrl 7 increases it

31 minutes ago, RockCrwlr said:

use the number pad on your keyboard. number 7 lowers the FOV and ctrl 7 increases it

If you do it too much, keep in mind it may appear stretched out of or squeezed into the screen. 9 and 3 work also as it's basically zoom in and zoom out.

19 hours ago, Chris B said:

Thanks in advance!

i have my external fov to 60 and internal to 75 and mine looks fine.

10 hours ago, Max-D Is The Best said:

i have my external fov to 60 and internal to 75 and mine looks fine.

Thanks, tried those settings and everything now looks way better. Turns out it was internal FOV screwing me up. Looks like I'll be spending some time tomorrow moving my stuff over to .4 :) 

On 02/12/2016 at 3:16 AM, LeMaddog said:

edy, this is kinda funny because i remember making a thread exactly like this, but then people got triggered and mad and said that the people should be free and they shouldn't have to upgrade (which i find pretty stupid tbh just considering that it's almost 2017 yet people are still using old stuff).

so although it's a good thread (tbh i love this thread and i support it) the whole upgrading thing won't happen because people are gonna get ticked and be like "oi but i loved 0.37 ;-;" "oi i loved blender 2.49b" "oi i loved the old stuff".

What triggered people was the assumption that change is just as easy as making the thread. You do realize that 4.5 was considered to be one of the most unstable multiplayer versions of ROR? Just because something is new does not necessarily mean it is better, so ya when threads like that popped up and were always by (no offence to you) people that no clue on what the change to newer versions would do for content or running events because they did neither of them. As someone who has been around since this site has existed, there was hope that BeamNG would be alot better then it was when it was released so the prospect of continuing on in ROR seemed pointless and at the time most of the updates of ROR were not great either. But from the inside looking out (and vice versa), things always looks greener on the other side...

• Upvote 1

Gave .4 a chance a week or two ago and it just didnt seem great. Figured i would give the newer 4.7 a try and i love it. Definitely looks better, runs better, i love the new style of the camera mode where it follows the truck? And trucks i was missing parts for on 38 are fine on .7. only issue i have is some texture issues like my tire textures dont seem to be there and some vehicles steering wheels are bright white.

• Upvote 2