How does eveyone find all of the body textures?

zero_mass

Question

So I've been looking at the SYP thread a lot today, and then I thought, "I wonder how everyone makes such great textures..." I want to know how they're made. Are there already maps for the textures? Are they entirely painted? I really hope that I can at least retexture some trucks. Thanks in advance for answers.

5 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, YiddishTunaPie said:

Hm... guess I might as well start training myself.

If you don't want to you don't need to, I'm not that good and I still find myself making decent content. Just do what you feel is right to you and you'll be as good as gold!

However, if you really want to start painting, start off small, train yourself, and then try to tackle more complicated things. Don't rush into big things like what happened with Grave Digger 20th.

Ok, I'm half decent at painting, so I'll give ya some tips.

First, I got all my skills from taking photography classes at school, then transferring what I learned from that into ROR painting. Therefore, yes, I use photoshop. I'm sure you can do most of the stuff in paint.net and Gimp if you don't wanna buy it (it's pretty expensive lol). There's just a couple easier ways to do stuff in Photoshop. 

Next, start with a bake, and fine tune the base color over it. Then start from the back and go to the front or vise versa. If there's a pretty complicated character or design on the truck, open up a new image and either trace off a lower quality picture or free hand it from reference photos. Sometimes you can get lucky and find some of the designs through Google and different monster truck websites. 

Once you are done with the paint, just a little suggestion i do, overlay the original bake to the finished paint so you get realistic shadows. 

Just takes some time and patience to make something really high quality. Have fun! :)