What happened to Monster Jam?

Filthy Frank

It's also a money/safety thing. Drivers are flying higher, and pushing their trucks to the limit of their capabilities each and every show. Debris from the cars, vans, etc can easily be flung places that they were not intended to go, and possibly causing safety issues. It also is becoming increasingly expensive to buy cars, vans, etc. to put onto the course. The dirt is cheaper and holds up better than the cars throughout a show. Unfortunately, it is to some, like me, not as entertaining in certain situations, but as @Swegliner849 said, it's Evolution of the sport, and MJ will continue to evolve.

It's also a byproduct of one of their newer sponsors (relatively speaking), BKT. The tires they produce aren't nearly as durable as the Goodyears or Ukraine's that were used previously, and are known to absolutely shred on contact with metal, particularly the sharp edges. An example:

18 minutes ago, Michael Alford said:

It's also a byproduct of one of their newer sponsors (relatively speaking), BKT. The tires they produce aren't nearly as durable as the Goodyears or Ukraine's that were used previously, and are known to absolutely shred on contact with metal, particularly the sharp edges. 

I hate to be that guy, but the BKT tires shredding over cars is the worst excuse that anyone can use for the lack of cars lately, especially with your example. Tom stuffed the tire into the edge of the front flip ramp, things are going to break. I don't know how many people are hitting front flip ramps these days in Monster Jam, but I don't think it's common. It's also not very common to see a BKT tire shred over cars. I know that there isn't an abundance of cars the past few years, but there is always a few cars at the show and it is very rare that tire damage occurs from going over the cars. Yes, they are sometimes damaged on rougher landings, but very rarely is it because of a car. I've also seen plenty of times where trucks run BKTs at non Monster Jam shows around plenty of cars and the tires hold up just fine. 

Now, I'm no BKT spokesperson, but I think that people just hate on the BKTs because they are basically the only tire you see in Monster Jam. Since there is like 100 trucks running BKTs and maybe 5 running something else, yes, it will appear that BKTs are damaged more than other tires, since there are more of them than other tires. 

Tires are not the reason that there is a lack of cars. Dirt is cheaper and provides for a better show. Yes, the tracks might not be the greatest right now, but give them some time and they will improve. 

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Michael Alford said:

It's also a byproduct of one of their newer sponsors (relatively speaking), BKT. The tires they produce aren't nearly as durable as the Goodyears or Ukraine's that were used previously, and are known to absolutely shred on contact with metal, particularly the sharp edges. An example:

Can I just say, that was the worst example of a tire popping you could've used. Any tire would pop if they were slammed with a force that sent them in a different direction

Honestly, as much as I miss tracks like WF9, Jacksonville 2010, etc., i don't mind there being dirt tracks. My only issue is that they're so similar and it doesn't make it exciting. At this point I always know what to expect in each track and normally im right with what I expect. What makes it suck tho is that it's harder to learn/do new things when the track is always of the same structure 

• Upvote 4

On the plus side of Monster Jam's evolution, at least truck bodies have improved. If you look back to 2007, very few trucks had 3D bodies. Batman, Predator, Prowler, Taz, El Toro Loco, and Bulldozer are some examples. Nowadays, almost every truck has a 3D body, making them look better and therefore making them more popular.