Computer upgrade

JRobson

If you threw a gig of ram and a $70 1 gig graphics card in it I think you would be very happy with what you currently have. If overheating is a concern just make sure you don't overclock and make sure you have a fan everywhere you can in the case(some cases have places to put them but don't include them). It would cost about a hundred dollars to make this work good. I've been telling the people who I do computer work for not to get a new computer right now. The prices have gone up and will continue to go up over the next year at least due to the flooding in Thailand. I am constantly looking for computers for people and have seen the prices going up on them also the external hard drive I bought last summer which was $100 is now $150. If it was me I would just upgrade what you have for now and save up over the next year or so and get a really awesome one when prices come back down. I am poor also and currently run a Pentium 4 3.0GHZ with 2 gigs of RAM and a one gig vid card with XP and there really isn't anything I can't do with it. Yours, if you did the upgrades, would probably be faster than mine because of the processor you have.

• Upvote 3

although I would agree with bob's post prices for components are at a all time low, not sure where you are shopping.... As for giving general suggestions for a graphics card You have several key components to look at.

Thats why I asked for a model number for the computer.

The power supply comes in to play..as well as the motherboard... this will designate how the ram is dispersed between the ram slots.

Another thing with that processor being a 4000+ AGP was still around at this time, so just picking a random graphics card might not be the best idea if the slot is pci, pci-e, or AGP.

Antoher thing is to remember the type of ram the computer will need I.e ddr, ddr2.

The last thing to check is the power that the psu provided can push out and let other things function properly...some cards will require power dongles others draw strait from the motherboard....

Jrob please provide more info on your computer as requsted before.

A shortage of hard drives is what's making the price of computers increase and the price of hard drives increase. Components like ram and video cards are cheap these days which is why I recommended he just upgrade what he has. Google "hard drive prices going up" and check out some of the articles. As for where I shop, Newegg the best place to shop.

For a Great build I've created you a little cart here.... Ive listed these in terms of importance.. Ram will have the least effect on overall performance, but a great asset to own when using applications such as photoshop or even surfing the internet.

PSU

(The current power supply in your PC is only 250w.. This is an absolute must to replace if you are going to upgrade your computer.)

Cooler Master 460 w (providing more then enough power for graphics card and the option to have multiple hdd/cd/dvd drives.)

Ive had multiple problems with lower end power supplies not being able to pump the juice needed, arriving doa, or going out after 7-8 months. (roswill, logisys)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817171046

GPU

(After reveiwing some benchmarks on your current graphics card, you are still running an intergrated card that scored a whopping 39 on the benchmark tool I was looking at. The card listed score 1617. This would give you SUBSTANTIAL gains in terms of performance over what you are currently seeing.)

Best Deal Ive found for great output/performance. PCI-e (All versions of PCI-e a backwards compatible) minimal differnce in performance.

Radeon HD 6750 1 GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI-e 2.1

http://www.newegg.co...ID=3962334&SID=

RAM

(Based on the specs you posted, you actually have (2) 512 mb sticks of ram inside your computer giving you 1gb of ram... now with that being said even tho you have 1 gb already its running at an extremly low Mhz(333....YIKES!)

The best configuration possible to reduce ram controller stress and speed would be (2) 2gb sticks ran in dual channel

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231148 - This is the same ram I run in my current system. Never looked back, low cas latency with heat spreaders that will allow for som OC'ing if needed.

TOTAL 204.97 with shipping.

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

Got my upgrade installed today, though I'm pretty sure I got the wrong GB's its still a massive improvement for me. My computer is faster, my gaming is extremely faster even with all graphics turned on. Really happy with it. I went from 15 FPS on iRacing to 165 with low settings and with all graphics turned on I still had over 60. Got over 100+ FPS on ROR now and NR2003 is as smooth as could be lol.

Definitely going to make my gaming that much better, thanks to everyone who replied with helpful information and big thanks to LF for leading me the right direction to go!

• Upvote 1