Building myself a computer.

SealedGecko

Well I am building myself a gaming computer and I was wondering if this was a good setup.

Case ($70)

PSU ($90)

Mobo ($115)

CPU ($225)

CPU Cooler ($30)

GPU ($175)

RAM ($47)

HDD ($80)

Optical Drive ($19)

OS ($100)

Thermal Compound ($13)

Anti-Static Wrist Strap ($5)

Shipping ($21)

Tax ($36)

Total = $1026

Which is awesome.

Do you see any problems with this setup?

First and maybe it's just me but I think you'd be better off ordering it all from the same place and not multiple sources.

Seems decent, make sure your power supply is adequate (Newegg has a calculator for it) the other thing is do you have anything in your current PC you can keep/use with the new build (HDD, OS, CD drive).

100% IMO but if you have parts you can keep from your current PC then you can take your price down or set more into something else.

Also, when Mr.Liquidfire sees this can we get a Computer Tech section added as a sub-category/forum such as under the PC Gaming section?

what about the mouse? (probably bout 5- 10$)

It's a tower build only not complete system. but for a good mouse for gaming you'll likely be looking in the $20+ range.

Well I am building myself a gaming computer and I was wondering if this was a good setup.

Case ($70)

(Should be fine, nice full tower size in terms of depth) Looks like cooling would be adaquat as well.

PSU ($90)

(Corsair has awesome PSU, maybe look at future proofing? That way when you run SLI later your ready and dont have to switch everything out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371050

Antec has awesome quality, very strong rails. 4 x 6+2-Pin meaning you can run (2) 8-pin pcie connects per card

Mobo ($115)

(decent motherboard, looks like it has plenty of expansion for future upgrades) Has 8 pin cpu power connecter +1

CPU ($225)

(Extremely Solid choice for a processor, one of the best on the market for the price) for intel.

CPU Cooler ($30)

Your processor comes stock with a cpu cool, you have no need to purchase one other than if you plan to overclock, in that case its better to spend a bit more money... That heatsink under full load will only move 75 CFM, there are heasinks that can move 90-110 for about $20 more.

Best one I have come acoss in terms of cooling/load/sound Thermaltake Frio

GPU ($175)

(Absolute best value for the money) Price/performance ratio

RAM ($47)

(Strangly enoug the ram you chose is good solid ram, however that is 1600 mhz, test after test shows that ddr3 at 1333 with lower cas latency actually runs faster than 1600 with a higher cas latency. The price is neglible between the two. "The memory timings are given through a series of numbers; for instance, 4-4-4-8, 5-5-5-15, 7-7-7-21, or 9-9-9-24. These numbers indicate the amount of clock cycles that it takes the memory to perform a certain operation. The smaller the number, the faster the memory." Your ram is 9-9-9-24 the selected ram is $2 more and runs at 7-7-7-21

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231402

HDD ($80)

(caviar hdd's hold up nicely, solid choice, only thing better would be SSD for operating system/boot)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227725

HUGE BOOST IN PERFORMANCE

Optical Drive ($19)

(solid)

OS ($100)

(64-bit) Solid

Thermal Compound ($13)

(Best compound you can buy) Uses actual silver to bond making better electric continuity

Anti-Static Wrist Strap ($5)

(Waste of money, but if you feel safer go for it)

Shipping ($21)

Tax ($36)

Total = $1026

Which is awesome.

Do you see any problems with this setup?

Over All looks like you have a great build, just some of my tips/hints if you wanna try em out good, if not I understand, Its about $70 difference without the SSD.

First and maybe it's just me but I think you'd be better off ordering it all from the same place and not multiple sources.

Seems decent, make sure your power supply is adequate (Newegg has a calculator for it) the other thing is do you have anything in your current PC you can keep/use with the new build (HDD, OS, CD drive).

100% IMO but if you have parts you can keep from your current PC then you can take your price down or set more into something else.

Also, when Mr.Liquidfire sees this can we get a Computer Tech section added as a sub-category/forum such as under the PC Gaming section?

It's a tower build only not complete system. but for a good mouse for gaming you'll likely be looking in the $20+ range.

I had everything on newegg but i transferred some to tiger direct because I don't have to pay taxes on tiger direct. Made build cost go from $1150 to $1030.

I was planning on keeping my current computer usable. I have a spare monitor and stuff.

Over All looks like you have a great build, just some of my tips/hints if you wanna try em out good, if not I understand, Its about $70 difference without the SSD.

PSU looks nice but in some reviews it says it has short wires, others say long. I'll look into that one.

The ram looks well made, I like it because its faster lol. I'll look into that too.

What exactly does a SSD do? Because I have no clue lol.

Only getting the anti static thing because I don't wanna fry something on my first build lol.

As fake as this looks, its 100% accurate, you can watch lots of videos on it.

SSD is solid slate drive, it was a hard drive that has no moving parts and is pretty much like a giant flash drve thats permanatly attached to your comptuer, but uses sata cables to conncet to the computer instead of SUB allowing for more speed/delivery

Everything looks really good, thought I'm not a fan of intel at all..while they are very good processors..Why not get more bang for your buck?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106008

Two extra cpu, and your saving money, which could allow better parts somewhere else.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

Also on the GFX card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

I have two of these..and as alot of people know on here, I have no issue at all running everything full graphicly on Rigs of Rods. Or any game for that matter, just my two opinions on upgrades there. Best bet is newegg bud, always great deal..Ryan McCauley has even showed me some really awesome PC combos that they have for sale as well, for a very good price.

AMD has the edge in applications and multithreading.. however these processors are not for gaming... Look some benchmarks up on these. Save $25 to lose a large ammount of FPS?

Sandy bridge (intel) is known for the overclocking capabilitys of the chip as well, some reports are 40% OC with decent cooler with OC tweaks right in motherboard.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=203

I run a i5 in my tower at home and have only ever had a issue with it, i have that windows widget with the dials that tell you ram and processor usage and I dont think I have seen it go over 40% ever. i even think i have the same mobo haha

Don't tell my CPU's that lol, benchmarks do have a point, I'm just going off of my experience though, I do happen to do alot of photo editing, and other stuff, but never have had a performance issue in games. Anything over what is it 40fps is a waste anyways, while I still get 200 plus in rigs of rods, iracing (130avg), Flight Sim X (100avg) with stuff cranked.

Its 60 FPS is the number your thinking of eric(the number at which the average human eye processes images at), but running at more fps is better for your pc and running at a fps limit is even better tbh no point in making your computer work more than it has to, a good video card can do alot of good because it takes alot of the load off your processor, i have a 4 yr old 2.66 hz quad core and a nvidea gtx 460 and can play any game on pretty much full graphics

This is very close to what I am building for gaming right now. That's a steal of a price for that case. This should keep you gaming happy for a while. Also I would like to put a vote in for the computer tech section that RKM recommended.