The Weather Thread

RKM

So was able to get accurate measurements from the weather network, we had 168cm's fall from 4pm Thursday to 4am Saturday, with the first 24 hours dropping 109cm's. Which almost eclipsed the record set in February of 1971 with 112.3cm's.

Due to Columbus Indiana's horrible efforts to clear the streets, school got cancelled on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday plus a 2 hour delay on Friday due to about 4 and a half inches of snow and some pretty cold weather. I can understand a delay on the days when it was super cold and when it had just snowed, but four days off? C'mon now.

• 10 months later...

Due to this thing called golbal warming winters are nothing compard to 15-20 yrs ago..... :( :'(

Evidently you haven't paid attention to places outside of where you live in regards to that it would seem. It's the second year of lake front areas receiving more than 2 feet of snow in under a day recently. I mean parts of Texas this year have gotten over a foot of snow for crying out loud, that does NOT happen often if at all. The last time I recall having multiple storms of way too much snow where I personally live places right into when the last El Nino occurred in the later 1990s which was weaker than the current one. You should also keep in mind that a lot of places have yet to even get their first snowfall that aren't by bodies of water in the U.S. I looked in your profile to see where you live but it does not say but elevation has an absolutely massive impact on the snowfall amounts one can receive. I also want to take a moment to point out how they're not willing to throw numbers around yet and the last time I remember that happening DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia etc got well over 12" of snow. ;) Just don't expect that to happen every time there is a storm expected or you will most likely be disappointed.

I'll probably add some things in a following post around Thursday once we're a little closer to this storm.

Well where I live (Southern Ontario, CAN) we haven't gotten the Cold temperatures or much snow, I remember a few years ago we would have like 3-4 Feet, but currently we only have bout 8-16 inches. I guess its not really global warming, but more like Climate Change. Now that i think about it it seems our winters are starting later and ending later (last year there was snow till April)

But still compared to like 10 years ago thinks are way different. k that's my 'rant'

Well where I live (Southern Ontario, CAN) we haven't gotten the Cold temperatures or much snow, I remember a few years ago we would have like 3-4 Feet, but currently we only have bout 8-16 inches. I guess its not really global warming, but more like Climate Change. Now that i think about it it seems our winters are starting later and ending later (last year there was snow till April)

But still compared to like 10 years ago thinks are way different. k that's my 'rant'

Blame the El Nino too, it's pushing cold air very far south in the U.S and contrary to popular belief it can be too cold for it to snow, it can actually cause it to be blocked from certain areas entirely in some cases which is likely what you've been experiencing and remember it's only January, winter only officially started about a month ago so I wouldn't be too concerned with it. Also with the cold air being pushed further south the storms that normally bring you snow will also be pushed south. ;)

• 2 months later...