"Senator Calls Violent Games a Negative Influence"

Hot Shoe

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/06/ca-senator-feinstein-calls-violent-games-a-negative-influence

Well of course they CAN be a negative influence, if you let them influence you in a negative way. I always love reading these article where video games get a bad wrap, and conveniently ignore the good that can come from them.

Yes, Sandy Hook, Columbine, any one of these massacres is tragic. It's horrible that people lost they're lives to cowards who have been negatively influenced in one way or another who feel the need to take out some type of anger on innocents.

It's strange that no one ever seems to mention what types of movies, or music may have been an influence to the ones who are behind such a tragedy as mentioned. What of the influence (or lack there of) that the instigators had at home and how there parents may have influenced/raised them (or not raise or influenced them). How about friends? Family members? They are never mentioned. It's almost always the video games that are given a bad wrap.

I also love how, well, atleast how IGN wrote it, that this Senator says GAMES, not violent games, not racing games, GMES in general are a negative influence.

Now I know this can be a very touchy subject or spark a very vocal and opinionated discussion. I ask that in any remarks you make, that you filter what you say and be respectful. If the mods feel the need to lock this topic over any concerns they have over such a topic, that is not a problem.

I guess because in video games there's an element of actual involvement. Music and movies don't have the same level of interaction as video games. Take for example: A movie where a soldier kills a terrorist isn't the same as someone playing as the soldier and killing the terrorist. At least that's what I think it is.

Now with that said, this will fade out in due time. They've been trying to limit violent games for years and no one has been successful. Most prominent is Jack Thompson's crusade for the last few years. It's ridiculous to believe video games are the sole influence for these actions when there's many variables that come into play. CoD and God of War are some of the best selling video games of all time. How come not all of those people are out committing violent shootings? Video games ≠ mass violence automatically.

Its not the games that cause violence its the lag.

Btw if you call games a bad influence then call Jersey Shore, Teen Mom, Real House wives an even bigger negative impact on teens. thats why we see young 12 year old girls dressing like a bunch of sl*ts cause they see these jersey shore wannabees "fist pumping" it in a club and showing thier package to complete strangers

• Upvote 2

Well of course she isn't going to go after the movies, after all, several of her campaign donors are actors. Wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds you. I just think it's too bad that now we live in a society where politicians will go out of their way to blame everything and anything for the actions of a person instead of simply holding them accountable for their actions. I play lots of these so called violent video games and have never had the urge to go do harm to someone or something. The people who execute these heinous acts have bigger problems than a damn video game that they play. 

Sounds just like the argument she used for gun control, look 10 shootings happened last year, they need to ban guns, but millions of guns owners didn't kill anyone that year, only a few did, oh god look the shooters played video games, we need to change video games, but millions of video game players didn't kill anyone that year.

• Upvote 1

Dianne Feinstein, that makes me cringe hearing that name

She preaches gun control, but she cant even tell the difference between a AK-7 and an AR-15.

Anybody remember this?  

Dianne-feinstein_zps1cdbae99.jpg

finger on trigger and pointed at the crowd. Feinstein is the last person that should be allowed to speak on behalf of Gun control or video games

• Upvote 2

The older politicians will hate and blame anything they don't understand. One of those, unfortunately, are video games. Eventually, once the newer generations enter the world of politics we won't have the mindless blaming and maybe we can actually have solutions.

As long as your raised right and your not stupid, you wouldn't do something like that. I play CoD, but that doesn't mean i'd start shooting people for no reason, it all depends on how your parents raised you and the type of common sense you have.

• Upvote 1

The older politicians will hate and blame anything they don't understand. One of those, unfortunately, are video games. Eventually, once the newer generations enter the world of politics we won't have the mindless blaming and maybe we can actually have solutions.

The next generation...have you seen the amount of ignorant spoiled brats we have now? I look at the generation tht will have to take over and I just shake my head. Yea they understand technology thts because they were born into it and were given expensive things when they were just little boys and girls. We need ppl to wise up we dont need people who think they run things and bring this country down more then it is now.

307636_3700570887927_400777536_n.jpg

credit to Jonathon Caddell

You make jokes...A family friend races at a local track...He was having some issues with his car's handling, which I also had on similar tracks in videogames.  Using what I learned in vid'ya games, I actually pointed him in the right direction and helped him fix his car up.

That said, RoR (or at least the forums) have definitely invoked some violent reactions in me.