Building MTM3...

Jpez1432

I appreciate that Outlawed. The more people that contribute will make for a better game. I'm working with my friend who serves www.natas8.com my website about hooking up the database for a forum. I always liked the name "Project Monster" and I am leaning towards that. If anyone objects or has other suggestions I am open to hearing them. Tom P. as of a donation for an SDK I don't think that is necessary at all, but much appreciated. There are several 3D engines  that we can use for free as long as it isn't sold, and some have to remain open source but, getting paid was never my intentions so... I'm gonna keep on researching different aspects of the game that need to be evaluated before making any final decisions. I also wanted to ask if there is any programmers on this forum that would be will to help?

My version of Blender came with the plugins. Not sure if this is what you are talking about.

639ac60740.png

Well, after looking at several different 3D engines I think I would like to attempt to write my own. It isn't as complicated as it sounds. Not only that, but my main focus will be to recreate soft-body physics. I know enough OpenGL to clone/mimic Ogre3D graphics and then some so.... I'm not sure if I am going to use the truck files from ROR, I think I am going to start from scratch but there will be a converter for Project Monster. That is another thing I decided, was to call it Project Monster. I offically created a folder on my desktop called "Project Monster" so the game is now underway... I've been reading up on the physics mainly. Learning some more OpenGL, I am going to use as many libraries as possible to avoid reinventing the wheel and to speed up production, other then the graphics engine of course. I've updated natas8.com a little. Until thend...

-James

Like I said man if you want some help with stuff I'd be glad to. I know I'm not the only one too. 

Started working on the 3D engine, stuff is starting to come together. As I said on my site: www.natas8.com I've started implementing the terrain system. It will use a octree based system with OpenGL shaders for the texturing. Everyone wanting to play Project Monster will have to have a graphics card that supports at least OpenGL 3.2. Also as I stated on my site I started designing a system years ago for Monster Freestyle Racing. It uses up to 8 textures layered over each other with a heightmap/texturemap. Pretty much, you've got your heightmap (just like MTM) and then 8 high res textures that tile across the whole terrain. There is another "texturemap" which decides which of the 8 textures get placed in a section of the heightmap. It is kind of hard to explain, but I should have something going within the next couple of day. I am requesting someone or several people start designing the Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project Monster. I'm not that great with computer graphics so maybe I'll have a contest that people can submit graphics for the game. Until Thend.

-James

I uploaded 2 screenshots displaying what I have so far for the terrain system. You can check them out at my site. That track is only a test track, it uses 4 textures using a technique called "texture splatting". Still could use some help with people finding high resolution ground textures and sky textures. Any help is appreciated. Also if anyone is good at Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop and are willing to help, maybe someone could design a user interface for Project Monster. If you're interested contact me at jpez1432@gmail.com and we can workout the details and layout. I've got several ideas in mind. One more thing before I post this, anybody have any suggestions that you think would make the game better, and hasn't already been done in other monster truck games?

Man it has been forever since I have made my presence known on these fourms. Anyways I am glad to see this come back around full circle. Was a big fan of MFR and can't wait to see how Project Monster gets going on. If there is anyway I can help I will surely try. I have gotten my Associates in Game Design recently and would like to try and put it to some use.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have not quit working on Project Monster; AKA MTM3. I closed my site and I am trying to decide on a new domain name. Once I have a site again I will start posting regular updates. I've been unable to work on Project Monster for the last 3 weeks as I was out of town. But let it be know great strides are being made. I've really dug deep into the ROR source code and I'm learning a lot and have even started writing the game. I think I am going to use the interface from MFR (Monster Freestyle Racing) The game that "never made it" anyways, hopefully they let this post slide and once I do get a new site up and running, I can put it in my signature. Keep on truckin'.

-James

I have not quit working on Project Monster; AKA MTM3. I closed my site and I am trying to decide on a new domain name. Once I have a site again I will start posting regular updates. I've been unable to work on Project Monster for the last 3 weeks as I was out of town. But let it be know great strides are being made. I've really dug deep into the ROR source code and I'm learning a lot and have even started writing the game. I think I am going to use the interface from MFR (Monster Freestyle Racing) The game that "never made it" anyways, hopefully they let this post slide and once I do get a new site up and running, I can put it in my signature. Keep on truckin'.

-James

May I ask what this game will have to offer once its done? As in single and multiplayer activitys

Well, mainly it will be for a monster truck simulation, hopefully top ROR some day. I don't think there will be series/circuit races like MTM had, it will be freestyle and arena racing only, being monster trucks don't do those sorts of things (unless a lot of protest). Multiplayer will be the same but online, allowing for single races, freestyle will probably have a leader board and also allowing for tournament races. All of this is still in it's infancy. Any suggestions/ideas/concerns/criticism are always welcome. I want to make this for the users...

-James