BeamNG

Aces98

I'm reading about BeamNG monsters for the first time right now. I remember trying this software when it was very new (and free, or am I thinking of something else?). So are these trucks made from RoR parts? And are there any improvements over RoR that make a BeamNG switch worth considering?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Helen Weales said:

I'm reading about BeamNG monsters for the first time right now. I remember trying this software when it was very new (and free, or am I thinking of something else?). So are these trucks made from RoR parts? And are there any improvements over RoR that make a BeamNG switch worth considering?

The ROR physics are better, not to mention ROR is easier to build for I believe and has multiplayer. The physics for the trucks in BeamNG is still pretty rough and it doesn't seem like anybody plans on working on that.

It's the best we can do. The suspension travel is the bed we can get I believe. Also all you need is a jbeam for the truck, the .dae file housing the truck model, a materials.cs linking everything either .png or a .dds file. Once that is all sorted out, you're good to go. I suggest learning from what I've been trying to do, you'll start to understand things more

8 minutes ago, JackMProductions said:

The ROR physics are better.

Torque 3D > Ogre3D
You may need to get your eyes checked.

Although the monster trucks are still under developments, there is no comparison when it comes to BeamNG physics and ROR physics meaning there is a lot of improvement that can be made for the trucks.

14 minutes ago, JackMProductions said:

ROR is easier to build for

BeamNG is easier for both trucks and tracks, especially since the majority of things that have already been done in BeamNG are not even possible in Rigs of Rods.

15 minutes ago, JackMProductions said:

The physics for the trucks in BeamNG is still pretty rough and it doesn't seem like anybody plans on working on that.

The physics are fine. The trucks don't tumble down the length of the stadium after rolling over at 20 mph. The handling could use some work, but it's getting there.

I just really dislike it when people s h i t on something because they haven't explored enough of it to truly understand. 

• Upvote 1

have you tried the suspension? You can raise the ride height and increase suspension travel. I may piss people off but imho, the BeamNG truck has mad more progress in 1 year than monster trucks in RoR have in several years. You guys have different chassis' , more trucks and tracks and more of EVERYTHING but we took a broken underwelming mod and made it a whole lot better. The truck has breakable suspension and has breakable bodies coming soon. We have a new chassis coming and tunable suspension. As far as I know, RoR doesn't have breakable bodies or suspension.

13 minutes ago, enjoyingorc6742 said:

have you tried the suspension? You can raise the ride height and increase suspension travel. I may piss people off but imho, the BeamNG truck has mad more progress in 1 year than monster trucks in RoR have in several years. You guys have different chassis' , more trucks and tracks and more of EVERYTHING but we took a broken underwelming mod and made it a whole lot better. The truck has breakable suspension and has breakable bodies coming soon. We have a new chassis coming and tunable suspension. As far as I know, RoR doesn't have breakable bodies or suspension.

Blaise's breakables have breakable bodies and suspensions. The axles, driveshafts, knuckles, and wheels all come off if broken hard enough. And you can literally rip the body right off with mouse drag.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Self Destruct said:

Blaise's breakables have breakable bodies and suspensions. The axles, driveshafts, knuckles, and wheels all come off if broken hard enough. And you can literally rip the body right off with mouse drag.

but is the suspension tunable ingame and can you save your changes? Not hating just wondering pointing out things the BeamNG truck has

Just now, enjoyingorc6742 said:

but is the suspension tunable ingame and can you save your changes? Not hating just wondering pointing out things the BeamNG truck has

If you know how to work with nodes and beams, yes. As far as I know and experimented with, nodes effect the position of a prop and beams effect the stance of a prop. For example, moving a swaybar node makes it so it can align with the swaybar blocks on the chassis. Editing the chassis nodes can change the yaw and roll of the chassis (front/rear end height, etc.)

I've experimented plenty with nodes but beams I'm still unsure on because it's the reason my whole game went berserk when I spawned in a Blender n/b. As far as handling, you can do that also.

You can save your work and test it in game with the .truck file, which holds the props, nodes/beams, flexbodies, etc. etc. etc. Just don't overwrite your only truck file if you're in risk of breaking it.

1 minute ago, enjoyingorc6742 said:

with BeamNG, you can make several saves of a vehicle. The game calls them presets. Nothing can break your vehicle in BeamNG unless if you try hard enough

But see a real monster truck can break easier than people may think. One wrong bump to a ramp and your front tire is flying. One wrong land and you have a few options:

• 4 link(s) go out
  • Tires go flying
  • Knuckles or axles break
  • Tie rods or hydros snap off
  • Driveshafts go out

Monster trucks, as protected as they are, and as much of a beating as they can take, are pretty fragile in some areas. At least they were. Watching old runs from the early World Finals (8 and lower) makes you realize just how easy it was to break your truck. Unless you're Tom Meents or Dennis Anderson, once you break your truck, you're done.