Share Your Rigs of Rods Story

Tom P.

Bravo jose nice story this is turning out to be a pretty good thead IMO. I realy consider myself lucky to be given a couple of warnings rather than being banned instantly I made sone realy bad mistakes early in my sim monsters time. I just thank the staff for giving me chances

Well, I guess I can blab a few words and tell the tale of how I came to be a member here. But I'll leave the story of how I became a monster truck fan for later, not enough space to tell that story lol.

It all started back around 2011, shortly after I joined a little thing called facebook. As I started gaining friends on there, I noticed that a lot of them were playing some sort of game that included monster trucks; and while I had no clue what it was initially, it blew everything else I had seen previous out of the water. After asking around, I found out that the game I was seeing was called Rigs of Rods; and shortly there after, I started taking the steps to download the game and ended up joining this site. But all of the excitement came to a halt when the game wouldn't load stuff properly, among other problems; and after getting royally pissed off, I deleted the game off of my computer and wiped my hands of the game and the site (as proof, my only post for well over a year was my "hello to everyone" post lol).

But I still couldn't help but drool over all of the amazing trucks and tracks that kept popping up in photos and videos, that's when I got some help from my buddy Tyler Remieres. He helped me set up the game properly and taught me the basics of controlling the trucks, from then on it was just me having to practice. I started out doing a lot of fun runs on cifpo, and actually picked up my first win there; freestyle at Reno 2012 driving the Mopar Ram truck. More fun run wins followed until I finally came across my first league, RoR Big Dawgs. I proceeded to run the entire season and got my first ever league win at Houston 2011 3rd stop, if I remember correctly; after all was said and done, I made a good accounting of myself, got nominated for a few awards, and won sportsman of the year. Then it became time to take the next step, which was running in Sim-Monsters sanctioned leagues, fun runs, and special events.

To that end, I signed up to run in ORL with my first ever custom truck known as Shark Attack (which also led to me discovering my passion for painting trucks, but I'll get into that later), and tried to qualify for Mayhem In Christmas Village; though the latter didn't go well due to computer issues, and the fact that I didn't realize the course was made of ice lol. But I did redeem myself later when I qualified for AME3 with a custom truck that to this day is still my favorite, and holds a lot of meaning for me; that being Bad Dawg. After a decent showing in AME3, I continued on racing in ORL and other various leagues; those being 
IDS and CFMTS, the latter being where I picked up my first SM sanctioned league win. All the while slowly and surely improving my painting skills, to the point that I actually started to get recognition for said skills. Things were going well until the fateful day that I finished working on a custom truck called Wicked Destruction, and boy did it ever live up to that name. I say that because somewhere along the way with all of the file transfers back and forth, viruses and rootkits were placed in the zip; and they did a number on my computer. So much so that I had to do a full system restore and wasn't able to do anything RoR related for over a month, with repeated attempts to try to re-install the game.

But luckily after awhile, the game was finally able to re-install and I was able to resume my RoR activities; starting with finishing up ORL (winding up 9th in points), running in some other leagues (including DJM, RoR:MD, RTR and MRoR), and continuing to improve on my paint skills while picking up a win or 2 here and there. But during this time, I (along with many others) undertook a big challenge; that being running full time in SSRS. It's easily the toughest league I've ever run in, and the top league on the site. Week after week, I ran Virginia Giant as hard as I could, and in the end made the playoffs and finished top 10 in points there as well; one of my biggest achievements to date. But little did I know what was to come when I undertook doing something that I already failed at once.

A little before the end of the SSRS regular season, me and Damian Bowers were discussing league ideas and he presented the idea of a racing only league; I thought it could work, and decided to give running a league of my own a second try. Despite my fears of the league failing within the first 3 weeks, it thrived and we made it throughout the entire schedule and are coming back for season 2. The biggest surprise to me was the fact that I ended up winning the overall points title, my first ever championship in this deal; and while you would think I'd be overjoyed for winning said championship, I wasn't at all. Since it was my own league, it felt cheap to me; almost like I rigged it, even though I didn't and fought to make sure everything was on the up and up. I've gotten more enjoyment out of the win as of late, but I still want to win a championship in a league other than my own; then I'll feel like I've truly done something as a racer in this deal. One other thing I've had a hand in that I take a good bit of pride in doing were the Hump Day Shootouts, a series of fun runs that Mark Colineri and I hosted. They were a huge success and some of the most fun I've had during my time in this game, and I hope to do more of them someday. Now I will say that with all of the good times, they were a fair share of bad as well; FM3 being the worst that I can remember. But all in all, I've really enjoyed my time around here and I've made a bunch of friends as an added bonus; and I hope to contribute more to the community as time moves along, if I can ever freakin' figure out blender.....

• Upvote 1

Hm lets see...

I found out about the game when Dylan and Dalton started uploading videos of it on youtube back in 2010. I downloaded the game but since i was fairly new to everything PC I had no idea what i was supposed to do since the game did not have any monster trucks in it... I didn't find out about sim-monsters until January 2011 and I downloaded the pack and all the tracks right away. I messed around alot offline before I found out that I could play online where I met several people that I still talk to today... My first event was in the KOTH Summer Heat series in the summer of 2011. I bearly didn't make it in, but because Kozack couldn't make it I got in as a fill in. I rolled in the first round of racing, but the since the guy I raced fell asleep I got into round 2 and lost by half the track. I was pretty happy with my freestyle tho finishing 4th. The next event was in Hagestown. I crashed hard in the first round of racing and jumped over the wall in freestyle... so... yeah. After that I did not manage to qualify into any events. Tried a couple times in season 2 but was just way to far behind to even be close to making it in. 

Going a little back again, allready in March of 2011, me and a guy called Justin that i met on the server started a competition a few times a day where we ran in the same trucks in racing and freestyle at a bunch of different tracks. Justin decided to call our tour for Rock the Road and soon other people joined in and the rest of that is pretty much history...

Back in the early times of RTR we got alot of critic for not using our own tracks, so I got started and made som crappy sketchup tracks that we ran trough season 2. 

My first event victory was a freestyle win during the RTR World Tour in 2012. My first win outside of RTR was MROR season 3 Racing in Bloomsburg.

Been trought alot of different things here... So what's next? I don't know... 

O man this is going to be interesting. 

Well I started playing ROR when it was 0.35 had no knowledge of how to edit anything. Just loved toying around with the trucks that the game had at time. Then the monster trucks came along, and it was not until 2010 that i decided to join RORMJ after finding it in a random search. Ran my first event in a KOTH race with Dig and Max hosting. Ran as Bigfoot under the name Dan runte. Little after being around I began to figure things out with ROR and toying with things, found out how to port a mtm2 truck over to ROR although that almost got me ban for not giving proper credit at the time. (woops). Anyway after sticking around and getting the hang of blender learning alot from Brian Langford and who ever else came along that knew some stuff. Savage X came along (yes that is right Savage was made in 2010), Ran in All monster eve which was the only event to be larger than 40 some trucks.

Eventually I moved over to Sim monster and been here since. Raced in season 1 and 2 of sim monsters. A few koth events. I have one of the biggest heart breaks in a season. Just had to score well in vegas to win the Freestyle Championship and Derped hard in 2 hits. Dashing all hopes of a championship. So up until last year I never won a racing event and finally did in ROR MTP. Freestyle on the other hand has always been my game, and is one place to fear me if I put in a full run. (playful boasting aside).

As of now I only race when I get a chance, as I work a lot, and don't race much so running in leagues don't really happen for me unless they are mid week. From what I gather I am still a threat as I came out of my hiatus to race a fun run and tied for freestyle. So the Vet still has it. I have come to enjoy hosting events rather than competing in them. Also enjoy making things for ROR whenever I have the motivation to do so.

I may have forgot stuff, but o well. Its has been a long time, since I joined