Share Your Rigs of Rods Story

Tom P.

This thread is for sharing how you got into Rigs of Rods, how you found it, your experience with it etc. 

I'll start with my story.

I had played MTM2 for the longest time when I was little. I stopped playing in about 2008 cause a lost of interest I suppose. In June 2010 I stumbled across a video that was uploaded by Nakuraz42, who you all know as Mark Colineri. It happened to be his first Rigs of Rods video. The video (which was just a camera recording the screen) was showcasing Box5's Maximum Destruction on Monster Jam Madness. I was really compelled by everything. I mean compared to MTM2, this was really legit. So I proceeded to ask where he got the trucks and so on. Fast forward, I downloaded the game and figured out how to install the trucks. Of course it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to actually start the ignition too. But I continued to mess around with the trucks offline. I then found Rigs of Rods Monster Jam by the summer, which was a league that Dave Cooley (aka Max) had started along with a bunch of other MTM2ers. I was late to the party but I joined in and ran as Bob and Tom. If you find the videos on YouTube, you can see I have no idea what the hell I was doing  :lol: . But it sure was a blast to be a part of. Mark happened to start the same event as I did, and even got top qualifier in El Matador. I finished out the rest of those events and by then, Brian (Liquidfire) had already begun his massive Sim-Monsters project. I remember the launch of Sim Monsters and joining the first day. 

Its pretty cool to see that some of the same faces from then are still here and its even cooler to see how far the little community has come since 2010.With nearly 100 members on the RoRMJ in 2010, to almost 3,000 members now.  I feel like the community has come a long way in the time it started, and I know there is more potential. And I do appreciate everyone that takes there time to create content for us.  

So share your story!

• Upvote 1

I CAME HERE FOR GOLDBERG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But in all seriousness, I always loved Monster Trucks. When I was literally born, we would always travel across the U.S. And there really wasn't much to go around, cartoons got boring, etc. Until i saw Monster Trucks for first time in 2003, and ever since then, I have been a huge fan. Now years go by, and its 2010, and I got bored, the game Urban Assault was O.K. in its prime time, but I wanted something better. I literally spent about 3 month's searching for a realistic/good Monster Truck game. And I finally found a video, of someone driving Escalade on an old Concrete track. It amazed me, because the body came of and everything, but unlike the Urban Assault game, I actually wasn't limited, and i could do what ever I want. Now I will admit, I had a few other accounts haha (about 10) on this site in 2010. Reason being, is that when i first joined. Someone posted Goldberg, and I really really wanted it. And since i was the stupid Peruvian that I am, I would not stop asking for the truck. Reason being I got banned for it. And again since i was stupid. I made about 10 accounts, they also got banned! Now I learned my lesson, and I rejoined the site in 2011. But since I still had the fear of being banned, the second I joined... I joined as a fake name. John Cavallini. I stayed as that name and ran as it for the 2nd Season of Sim-Monsters League. A lot of people knew me like John, except my good old friend Tom, who I trusted enough to tell him my real name and the story behind it. Ever since there, he convinced me to switch my name to my actual name, Johan Seminario, and now that's what basically everyone here knows me as.

I myself advanced a lot through the years. Going from being the annoying noob that got banned 10 times, to being a few of the well-known people on the site, An amazing painter (Thank to practice), and being Co-Owner on one of the biggest, leagues yet! It's been a blast being on the site, and I hope to be here for a few more years. Also shows how much we all advanced as a community. From only having people like, Myself, Brian, RKM, Roach, Kozak (Mainly the Mods) Making trucks, to now a lot of people being able to make their own custom trucks, and their favorite replicas! I even remember when it took more than a Year and a half to reach 1,000 and we celebrated the 1,000 Milestone, and only 2 years later we are 3,000+! Excited to see what else this place have to offer, and I sure hope this site keeps running for year to come.

-acdcfan56

• Upvote 1

*goldberg*

Aw, Thanks man.

Anyways, I joined after I owned basically all the Monster Jam games except Maximum Destruction and Monster 4x4, but then I kept watching MTM2 videos and I thought I should really get that game.

Fast forward two months later and I find myself having a free copy of it.

Fast forward a few months later and I see this video in my reccomendation box on youtube. I clicked it not knowing what it was, and I saw it and just got hooked into it even better. So then, I watched Season 1 and some of Season 2, of the SM league. I then join SM and then download ror, get V3, and just basically have fun with the pack. Then, I quit..

*Comes back year later. V4 didn't change, V5 cancelled, a hacker lives in the same area I do, I then do fun runs which leads me to Running ROR-MM! 

Oh, and I do not regret being in Reptoid for MROR Season 4.

When me and Adam Anderson were on Skype, he mentioned how Ryan was playing Rigs of Rods on his T.V. I asked what is was about, and he mentioned how it was this really cool monster truck driving simulator that he got off of Sim-Monsters. Well, a year later, I got around to looking into it more, then on August 13th, 2012, I played with RoR for the first time. Of course, wasn't good at it right away, but I got the hang of it after about a month. I competed in my first fun run later that month, then my first league event in the second weekend of September. 

Wow thats a good story Tom.

Reason i got into rigs of rods is because like Tom I seen some youtube videos so i tried one tine didnt know what to do so i got rid of it. Fast forward maybe either serveral months or a year I managed to give it a second chance and was able to work it. But it was .38 rather than .37 lets fast forward a couple weeks i finnaly started online went to random servers here and there finnaly i settled down in SPJESTERS off road server were there i met a person that had the same thing i did after that more started to come along like Monsterboss3 then finnaly jester decided to create a monster truck server for us were i became a admin. I started to meet other people like ams2000 or otherwise know as andrew sheets now and lots more but then when me and julian or monsterboss3 decide to move over to the correct version of ror for the trucks we found that it would be well worth it now a days we all try to do are own things eventally running into eachother in calls or comps. Well im gona wrap this up thats bassically my story

For me it all started two years ago I was just starting out my old youtube channel and did alot of monster truck related things so i of course like Goldberg6734 ended up getting a recommendation for Sim-Monsters King of the Hill Series video at the time i was still hooked on Monster Jam Urban Assault and Path of Destruction and seeing this new game where i could actually play with other people something just sparked! So i looked into it for about 2 more months and with my old dinosaur computer i decided to get Rigs of Rods .38 with the V3 pack and i believe the first track i got into was squishy stadium which was horrible i got maybe .0362 fps it would take about 3 minutes to get from spawn to a stack so i deleted it then last year my sister got a new laptop and i went over there quite a few times so when i was there i would play fast forward to last Christmas and i got my own laptop and the first things i installed were rigs of rods .37 and the v4 pack later that year i competed in RTR,SSRS,MROR,and Big Dawgs,i have only claimed one racing win and that was in Birmingham in Big Dawgs i do plan on staying for awhile and upgrading to a gaming computer.

I myself advanced a lot through the years. Going from being the annoying noob that got banned 10 times, to being a few of the well-known people on the site,

-acdcfan56

More like from noob to Sim-Monsters Messiah..

Anyhow, I was around during the last couple years of MTM2 in its prime, so I saw this in its infancy. It took a few months until I got a PC good enough for my birthday that could actually play RoR. I remember being so stoked when I finally got the V1 Pack to work, and how I could do what everyone else was doing at the time. Since then I've closely followed this site and even got my sole victory from this with my freestyle win at CFMTS Pocatello

I, Much Like Johan, Have Always Enjoyed MT's, and most other motorsports; I played some MTM2 when I was younger, but what I really enjoyed was 1nsane; I would play with people daily with Fat Alfie's Eradicator and MaxD, and thought that this was the best an MT Game would ever get; I found RoR Many Years Later, when watching one of DIG (Josh Rhode's) Videos, and he had the link to the YT Channel in one of his videos. This was right after All Monster's Eve 1 was finished, and after watching both the racing and the freestyle, I knew I had to get this game; What really got me was the far improvement of realism from 1nsane, and OBVIOUSLY MTM2; I found SM a couple months after Brian launched it, downloaded the V2 (Liquid Truck Pack) And would play offline with the already released tracks that were made for S1; I, for whatever reason, never got an account, and ended up not getting an account until March of 2012. I've enjoyed most of the people on here, met a lot of fellow motorsport enthusiasts, and have had fun racing in Fun-Runs, and league Events; I'm still looking for my first championship, but have 3 league event wins (2 Freestyle, 1 Racing), and 3 Top 5 League Point Finishes.

I saw the original photos and videos of Box5's Grave Digger back when I was still heavily involved with MTM2. That's what sparked my interest in the game. Once it was released and I could finally drive the truck, I was completely sold on it. Once the first league came around, I couldn't wait to race. Rest is history.

God where to start? I will keep this brief since I could write a short story on this subject.

I was part of the original group of mtm2er's that moved over to ROR, back when Box5 and Squishy's stuff was considered amazing. Granted my computer sucked and could not even run ROR at that time. I kinda ended up in purgatory but found Blender and began modelling tube chassis's. When Max and Liquidfire had a falling out, I moved to Sim Monsters, ending up with a Moderator position from helping with the V3 truck pack. Cannot really remember how long my tenure was but I stepped down to my belief that moderator's should not be chosen because they make content. However Brian (LiquidFire) became a pretty good friend that has helped me alot over the years (even helping me piece together and build my current computer over Skype) so I told him that if he ever needed help with the site just to let me know. I think I was a normal member for a few months, ended back as a Moderator and I guess over the years of conversing he felt comfortable enough to give me a "junior" Administrator spot.

Other then that I am just here because I enjoy being around people that share the same passion for this sport. Wish I was more active in event participation but those beginning years but computer limited me badly and in the same light, I would have probably not had gotten as good with Blender as I have gotten.

tl;dr i race, make tracks, meet people, and make good league (in that order)

/start longstory.exe

Well to start, I've been following Monster Jam since 2001 on TV and have been going to events since 2002.

When I first heard about the original Maximum Destruction Video Game and got it for PC.  I was bored and was upset that there wasn't any real racing or freestyle (criticizing and dissatisfied at 4, great start eh?).  Eventually I got Monster 4x4: Masters of Metal for PS2 and I liked it far better since it had more realistic racing brackets and racing tracks that resembled a real life course just a little bit.  Time went on, more games passed, and I was still wanting something realistic.  Indirectly I passed MTM2 videos on YouTube a few times, which I think lead to me finding RoR eventually in 2010.

I got the truck packs and everything, and eventually found RORMJ.  I never raced, just followed along all summer, getting the tracks when they came out and watching the videos of the events.  I moved over to Sim-Monsters with everyone else and continued to follow the racing in Season 1.  When Season 2 came around, I finally decided to try racing.  And I did pretty good for a rookie.

I got into every event I attempted to except for maybe 3 or 4.  Early on I was alright and was still adjusting to playing online for the first time, but I eventually got comfortable.  My first ever racing round win was back in the San Diego event against Tim Smith, I think.  Mid summer Fall Madness was announced and I signed-up.  Not expecting much, I qualified fifth into the field and progressively moved up the brackets, until I found myself in the finals against Casey Graves.  I managed to get the win, making my first ever racing event win Fall Madness.  To follow it up, I won the S2 Anaheim freestyle event the next night.  The rest of the season went by, and I managed another racing win at Tampa.  I got a qualifier flag at Sacramento, locking myself into the Sim-Monsters World Finals 2.  Looking forward to racing more than freestyle, I spent much of my time practicing for that.  I made it pretty far into the brackets and lost to Eric Myers.  With only one freestyle win so far I tried as hard as a I could to get as good of a run as I could.  I somehow managed to get a 30 in freestyle and held the lead until Josh Rhodes came out and topped me by 1 point.  Season 2 was over and I was being recognized as one of the newest up-and-comers to Sim-Monsters, leaving me very excited for Season 3 in the beginning of 2012.

Of course, truck packs and plans changed, leaving Season 3 cancelled and V4 released late in 2012.  In the mean time, I learned how to make tracks with Sketchup.  I was pretty okay at making tracks, and was asked by Mark Colineri to make a track for, at the time, Rigs of Rods Outlaws (ORL).  Unfortunately, plans fell through from the problems Sketchup tracks caused (DM Stadium), but I soon picked up modeling with Blender.  From there I was asked to use my track for Fall Madness II.  With my win at Fall Madness I, I guess I was considered a favorite going in.  I managed to get to the finals, where I defeated Chris Hamilton, making me undefeated and the only Fall Madness Racing winner (in Rigs of Rods).  A month later, I was given the honors of getting to make half of the AllMonsters Eve 3 Track with Mark Colineri.  The event was a dud for me, but I was still proud of the track.

With Season 3 cancelled, the announcement of more leagues being put on the site brought about Outlaws Racing League.  The season came and went, and I picked up a few wins, and got to make 3 tracks for the tour.  Following ORL, I got bored one day and wanted to see if I could write up a league rule book.  After getting some positive words back from some people, I asked Johan Seminario to help me out in running a league that upcoming summer.  Bring the Summer Stadium Racing Series into existence.

SSRS is probably my most favorite project to date.  The first season ran exceptionally well.  As a racer, I got a few wins, but my main focus was hosting a good, fun league for everyone to participate in.  I think Johan and I did a pretty good job at that (with the help of many friends).  Currently, I'm getting ready for SSRS Season 2, which I hope is bigger and better than the first one.

So, nearing 4 years of playing this game, I've picked up some friends, racing wins, track making talents, and a league that's approaching its second season, not bad for some kid with some free time.

/end longstory.exe

Well as some or many might know I have had a live for die for passion for monster trucks ever since I first laid my eyes on one when I was a young child. Monster trucks are my entire life. One of the many thing I used to play during my childhood was Monster Truck Madness 2. I played that video game many days, and escalated to playing it almost every single day once I found out I could add custom made monster trucks and tracks into the video game. I then heard about this new video game called Rigs of Rods in 2011. I was intrigued by it because I heard many people say that it is the most realistic monster truck video game they have ever seen. I just wan't ready at the time to switch over because of all those years of playing Monster Truck Madness 2, I was to used to that video game to switch over just yet. But later that year in 2011 I tested out Rigs of Rods for the first time to see what all the buzz was about, and I played that video game all night long, I was immediately hooked. In 2012 I created an account here on Sim-Monsters so I could download many of the monster trucks and tracks posted to this website to play with, and also to see and be apart of the many discussions about Rigs of Rods and monster trucks in general. I never competed in any of the leagues hosted here because I was never exactly interested in them. When it comes to track and monster truck making I started out with Google SketchUp making a few tracks, then I eventually went to Blender where I on some occasions mess around with and build tracks and monster trucks. Ever since I began playing Rigs of Rods I improve a little every time I play, and right now I am good at playing Rigs of Rods.

So basically that's everything from me.

Just like everyone else, I've been a fan of everything monster trucks for almost my entire life. One day in early 2012 I was just browsing videos of Urban Assault on youtube when I saw an argument in the comments section. One of the guys was saying how this thing called 'RoR' was so much better and more realistic. In February 2012, I signed up for Sim-Monsters an downloaded my first tracks. I literally had no idea how to put V3 ingame and used Box5's stuff until about April, which is also when I started becoming more active on the forums here. I then met these two guys on CIFPO of all places, their names being Mason and Julio. We enjoyed doing these mini-funruns and quickly became friends. ORL Season 2 had said it was featuring teams and all of that, and thus, DJM Racing was born. Fast forward to Early 2014, and I had released my first ever piece of content that I had made on my own. I've met a lot of great people here in this community (and some not so great people). 

I'm sure I could make this longer and more detailed but uh...I'm not in college for writing skills.

As a bit of back story, I started playing Monster Truck Madness 2 after my family got our first pc. I was instantly in love with being able to race the trucks I was exposed to from Trucks and Tractor Power/Motor Madness Monster Jam, such as Carolina Crusher, Grave Digger, Bigfoot, etc. After having played MTM2 for a number of years, getting bored with the game, and trying to search for info on if there was a Monster Truck Madness 3 in the works, I somehow stumbled upon a site with a few links showcasing add-on content for MTM2. Most notably Garret Lockhart's replica Gunslinger truck and his computer raceable RCA Dome track. I then found MTM2.com, the Monster Truck Madness Guild (MTMG), and KC's MTM2 Place. Both MTM2.com and KC's site exposed me to the wealth of content to be had for MTM2. It was through KC's site that exposed me to online leagues.

I raced many leagues, won a few times, and got to know some of the best people in the MTM2 game. People such as Corey Davis, Robby Haught, Dustin Hart, Josh Rhodes, Mike Alston, Robbie Milburn, Kevin Kaffenberger, Dave Collard, and many others.

I also used the MTMG's helpful track making tutorial to build many a successful series of tracks and one-offs. Tracks such as my custom Tallahassee FL Monster Jam, Remington County Fairgrounds, Randolph Arena, New Liberty Stadium 3, Mankato Speedway, and San Marco Arena, just to name a few.

I played MTM2 from 2002-2006, before I finally left out of boredom. Flash forward till sometime in late 2010/early 2011 when I saw Dig post something on his Facebook referring to Rigs of Rods. I questioned him on this game, gained information on exactly what it was, and joined Sim-Monster in 2011.

Instantly I was blown away by the sheer detail not only in props, parts, and the paint of the trucks, but by the physics. I was able to pull off realistic monster truck maneuvers that we only ever dreamed of being able to do in the MTM2 days. The more I played, the more I knew I wanted to get involved. I wanted to build track so bad it burned within me. I finally got track making figured out with my earliest assistance coming from Tom P. Others helped me a bit. However, I finally figured out track making through trial and error, and by analyzing what others had done in creating their tracks.

In my short time with Sim-Monsters, I've participated in a number of run runs, leagues, made a number of tracks, and made great friends. Even discovering a number of people who actually played MTM2 sometime after my leave from the game in the process.

That's my story.