V5 cancellation, new version of ROR

Jpez1432

I just read about the cancellation of V5 for R.O.R, it is a shame some people just think they are better then others. I was completely unaware of version 39.5 gonna check that out now. I've kind of drifted away from monster trucks over the years due to life, job, girlfriend and whatnot. I'm going to check out the new version and take a look at the code. Is there any programmers whatsoever that is interested in helping with updating R.O.R? It is most definitely more then a one man job, but it needs to be done. I've looked in to several graphics engines. Unreal 3, and Cry3 are both free to use if there is no profit made. I'm not looking to make money by no means, I want the most realistic monster truck game there is, and I think with participation we can obtain that. The physics would probably be the only thing to carry over... and even that can be updated from what I have already dug in to the source code. Any takers?

-James

I just read about the cancellation of V5 for R.O.R, it is a shame some people just think they are better then others. I was completely unaware of version 39.5 gonna check that out now. I've kind of drifted away from monster trucks over the years due to life, job, girlfriend and whatnot. I'm going to check out the new version and take a look at the code. Is there any programmers whatsoever that is interested in helping with updating R.O.R? It is most definitely more then a one man job, but it needs to be done. I've looked in to several graphics engines. Unreal 3, and Cry3 are both free to use if there is no profit made. I'm not looking to make money by no means, I want the most realistic monster truck game there is, and I think with participation we can obtain that. The physics would probably be the only thing to carry over... and even that can be updated from what I have already dug in to the source code. Any takers?

-James

You'd probably need new physics. The ones we are using now aren't that great.

I've said it multiple times to numerous people that if there was to be a group put together to build a new game or build off of an existing game to give what we have all dreamt of at some point. I hate the large project packs that put together but I think if it were for an actual game everyone would take it a lot more seriously rather than just a content pack. It can be done, the question is. Who wants to be involved with such a monstrous task?

The fact is waiting for another game (I chuckle to even call the mess BeamNG is a game) that has no commitment to Monster Trucks means the same issue we are in currently. There had been a few talks about moving to the game engines you listed a long time ago but the reality is that most of us on here have zero idea how to code. I mean there are maybe 3 guys on here that know how to make scratch built trucks for ROR. 

I am thankful to see there is some interest in updating ROR. Once I am able to isolate the physics code from the rest of the "game" I'll be able to better assess what needs to be done. I've been brainstorming on a whole new physics engine, soft body of course. There is so much that goes in to making a game. I am going to also read up on the Cry 3 engine and also the Unreal 3 engine. See which one is better suited to our needs. When I wrote MFR: Monster Freestyle Racing way back in the day I used ODE: Open Dynamics Engine for the physics, worked well for what I wanted at the time but it is not going to be enough for a new monster truck game. 

-James

Looked in to each engine previously mentioned. The Cry3 engine as well as Unreal 4. Both look absolutely amazing but to be honest I think it would be overkill. Both. Don't get me wrong, I want to make it look as real as possible but I would like to focus on the physics for now. Freestyle and stadium racing will be the only things supported, probably just a sandbox mode as well were you can place crushables and whatnot. What does everyone else around here think about that decision. It isn't set in stone, suggestions are always welcome. I also mentioned on my site about using Alias Wavefront *.OBJ files for models and stadiums, crushables, whatnot. It is easy and strait forward, even easier to parse, and even easier to render in OpenGL. I never really tore apart a truck from R.O.R. I have read up on the file formats but it was pretty lengthy, being the weekend hopefully I will be able to accomplish a lot. Keep on truckin'

-James

a few things come to mind as I put more thought about this possibility:

Which option would a majority of the player base be able to run without needing a super computer? Kind of pointless to move to a new engine when nobody will be able to play on it and I know there are a quite a few that can barely handle 

I might be a minority here but I believe that physics should trump visuals in terms of importance. Or atleast a balance of both. If if is possible to carry over physics from ROR I have a few testbeds I was making with another member to be more accurate then what we have now. I believe it is entirely possible to get what would be close enough to make most people happy. 

And lastly, which option offers the easiest modifiability? ROR is far from fun to put stuff into game but what kind of difficulty would we be looking at moving to a different game engine? I would love the ability to be able to piece together trucks kind of like BinEdit/Traxx were (being able to see things rendered ingame before exporting).

I am installing Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 right now. It is very, very, very difficult to get ROR to compile. At least it was for me, but I have the know how to make stuff work. I was using Code::Blocks for coding for several different reasons but it isn't important, mainly redist runtimes. I am going to move to VS because debugging is on the fly so I can look at values of variables at once. One of the nicest things about VS. Not sure which version of Ogre they used. Your saying that people are having a hard time running ROR as it already is without a "super computer" haha. The source for ROR is pretty in depth but shouldn't be terribly difficult to isolate the physics code. The reason I asked about the 3 people that can make trucks from scratch, get some insight to the file formats. Then maybe write the physics engine over. I know about nodes and beams and all of that. Don't know if you ever messed with MFR: Monster Freestyle Racing, a project I abandoned back in 2009 when I went to prison. I've learned quite a bit since then and completely believe in myself for writing a rendering engine as well and better then what is used in ROR. The one major difference would be it would only use OpenGL for rendering, as I have maybe 5% knowledge with DirectX. API is much cleaner also. Maybe if we can get the ball rolling on this people would be more willing to help out. Have something to show them at least. Like I said it isn't a one man army. Hopefully keep this thread active or pinned if possible. 

James

AIM: jpez1432

jpez1432@gmail.com

<p>I have quite a bit of experience making maps on the source engine. It is far from idea when it comes to large/open-world racing games. Not that it's impossible, but it would be quite difficult to make new tracks for.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>Unity might be a good option, and I'm leaning towards that regarding the future of 4x4EvoR. Has a solid built in physics engine, and does a lot of the heavy lifting for you. However, &nbsp;I've been keeping an eye on James' work to see what he ends up with as I am pretty interested to see what he whips up.</p>

I was digging through an ole' projects folder and came across this. For lack of a better name it became Project X. It is a simple terrain engine, real time lighting, skybox, water, shaders, terrain variables can be tweaked. At the moment it only supports 4 texture splats but any size texture repeat details. I will definitely add support for more then 4 textures, probably 16. It took about 30 minutes to get it to compile, took out the truck because it was causing seg-faults (crashes) I'm tired... work on it some more tomorrow. Any feed back is welcome.

-James

• 1 year later...
On 9/18/2014 at 9:06 PM, RockCrwlr said:

I thought you were already working on one? Best bet is to just wait for more advancements in BeamNG. They are starting to to make some vast improvements compared to what they gave out last year.

I would use BeamNG but my computer won't open it...