Past, Present, Future

Hornetguy97

I'm ok with opinions, that's the whole idea of this thread, just seen a few threads get locked for that kinda stuff and don't wanna see that happen. Since it's on the topic, I'm ok with backflips so long as they are treated like a normal stunt and not every ramp is a backflip ramp (WF15). As for Feld, I'll take the USHRA over them any day.

A new worry for the future, something will happen like recent accidents like Mexico and the Netherlands will ruin it all. That a careless small promoter could make the mistake and it will be ruined for the business. This is one of the safest sports there is as long as people aren't careless. Also worried about Vegas becoming to dangerous. It's the best place to have it in terms of income but it needs to be redone in some way. Worried that if something goes terribly wrong at a monster jam show or X show will be the end of it.

I have thought this same thing. I love Monster Jam (all other monster truck events as well), but the size of the obstacles has been worrying me lately, especially this year. The fast J-style track is cool, but when you look back at the events where Captains Curse as well as Titan, slamming into the wall (going over into the stands in CC's case), any malfunction and that can happen. The officials can't catch everything before it happens. Sometimes they just can't tell or don't know. Monster Jam has been a major offender of safety violations and hazards for the past few years and it's really starting to concern me. I think it's time they scaled back on the obstacles (especially in Vegas), and stop cluttering up the WF track and move the obstacles further away from the stands. On that note, put the "sick air" jump on the other side by the scoreboard to give more room in racing so they can thin the track a bit. 

I have thought this same thing. I love Monster Jam (all other monster truck events as well), but the size of the obstacles has been worrying me lately, especially this year. The fast J-style track is cool, but when you look back at the events where Captains Curse as well as Titan, slamming into the wall (going over into the stands in CC's case), any malfunction and that can happen. The officials can't catch everything before it happens. Sometimes they just can't tell or don't know. Monster Jam has been a major offender of safety violations and hazards for the past few years and it's really starting to concern me. I think it's time they scaled back on the obstacles (especially in Vegas), and stop cluttering up the WF track and move the obstacles further away from the stands. On that note, put the "sick air" jump on the other side by the scoreboard to give more room in racing so they can thin the track a bit.

Explain the safety violations.

Though they are not considered "safety violations" by the company, the sport, or the fans (I won't speak for the SM community), and say this as my opinion, not something to be considered a definite truth, I think that the height of the obstacles, along with where they are placed (particularly at WF) can be a bit dangerous. Though the fans are always kept out of reach of the trucks, incidents like Jim Kohler in 2006(?) where he rolled over the fountain onto the dumpsters, Captains' Curse in 2010 (Idk how that one happened) and he almost made it into the stands where the crowd was. Those are a few situations that had me scared when I 1st saw them. The speed of the trucks in racing, the height they gain in FS, it's all cool, but a little extreme and has caused some crazy situations. Crazy things will happen in this sport no matter what, but I think it's gotten kinda ridiculous. Mind you these are my opinions. I'm not trying to force them on anyone, and you don't have to agree. I don't want to start an argument with anyone either. I just want to enjoy the community. I'm not going to discuss this anymore because I want this thread to keep it's intended topic. 

After i think blackwell going into the stands, luckily no one getting hurt. They put dumpters up and it showed how well they worked. Im not worried that anymore. But i am worried about a tire. Meents in atlanta 2005, massive air over a racing jump and tire goes flying off, safety did its job. They are professional drivers. Alex jerking the wheel and flipping the truck saved lives. They know the limits, koehler wasnt close to the fans thiugh.

Everyone says that vegas is small but it doesnt really seem that small, quite large looking to me.

After i think blackwell going into the stands, luckily no one getting hurt. They put dumpters up and it showed how well they worked. Im not worried that anymore. But i am worried about a tire. Meents in atlanta 2005, massive air over a racing jump and tire goes flying off, safety did its job. They are professional drivers. Alex jerking the wheel and flipping the truck saved lives. They know the limits, koehler wasnt close to the fans thiugh.

Everyone says that vegas is small but it doesnt really seem that small, quite large looking to me.

That's why there are wheel restraint systems in place. The tether system has its flaws, but the fixed disc restraint has proved to be the best option. Travis Petri and Steven Thompson are prime examples as to why the fixed disc is starting to outshine the tether. 

That's why there are wheel restraint systems in place. The tether system has its flaws, but the fixed disc restraint has proved to be the best option. Travis Petri and Steven Thompson are prime examples as to why the fixed disc is starting to outshine the tether.

Can you explain the disc, is there any video of it working? Or anywhere i can read about it?

Can you explain the disc, is there any video of it working? Or anywhere i can read about it?

Here is the setup:

There are 3 metal rings together in a row. The middle ring is attached to brackets which are attached to the top and bottom of the knuckle. The outer 2 rings are bolted together underneath the middle ring so they can bolt to the wheel hub and spin with the wheel.

DanPatrickWheelTether_zpsd9a379b5.jpg

Here is the setup:

There are 3 metal rings together in a row. The middle ring is attached to brackets which are attached to the top and bottom of the knuckle. The outer 2 rings are bolted together underneath the middle ring so they can bolt to the wheel hub and spin with the wheel.

DanPatrickWheelTether_zpsd9a379b5.jpg

So how does this keep the wheel on better? More to break I assume? I thought the tether thing worked but prohited driving the truck.

So how does this keep the wheel on better? More to break I assume? I thought the tether thing worked but prohited driving the truck.

It's just the fact that there's pure steel involved. Instead of a braided ring that could easily break or sheer due to the amount of pressure and abuse it can be put under when a spindle does break clean off, the steel plate has been proven to be tougher. As I said, look at how hard Travis Petri and Steven Thompson run. Testimonials to how tough this newer system is. Dan Patrick uses this system when building axles. Petri got this system from Patrick because Dan built Petri's whole truck.