Advice for racing

Mistfire333

I'm god-awful at racing, so you can imagine the struggle I have in order to qualify for events. Tbh the reason why probably is because I don't care too much for racing, and I'm more of a freestyle driver. But I know that if I want to freestyle, I gotta qualify, so I'm willing to learn.

So does anyone have any advice for me so I can actually be a competent racer? Any control schemes, strategies, or trucks/tracks I can try to practice on?

Thanks for helping out a racing n00b

Its all in the time and dedication put in to practice, me for example, last year this time I was a keyboard n00b stuck in round one, now here I am, a "decent" racer and "decent" freestyler, another good thing to do is find a truck you like to drive, me and scooby for example, I know that truck backwards and forwards, its easy to use to me and it runs well, just find a truck you like and stick with it for a while constantly practicing and learning soon enough you will build confidence in the truck and begin to get faster and faster. 

IMG_3106_zpstbs1p4my.jpg

Seriously though, coming from a beyond mediocre racer, practice is basically all you can do (unless you sign up for a league like SMRA where you are "booked" for shows). A controller should help if you dislike the slow keyboard steering response but fair warning that the controllers have spastic front steering with them.

• Upvote 1

i may not be the best but getting a controller would be the best bet for you and what will said get a good truck u like and just practice and you will get better you need to stick with it though

Basically what everyone else is saying, invest in a Wired Xbox 360 controller. Myself and a few other people use controllers from a company called Afterglow, and they're very good and quite cheap. http://www.amazon.com/Afterglow-AX-1-Controller-Xbox-360-Blue/dp/B003ITY98O/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1431115015&sr=1-4&keywords=afterglow+xbox+360+controller

Also, learn throttle control. It'll help you in more ways than one in both racing and freestyle.

Get a controller or wheel, (I use an Xbox 360 controller) Start practicing by taking the corners easy, then once you get more confident drive them progressively harder till you have found the "sweet spot". That's how I learned