Texture Sizes

RKM

All right, I've been back and forth on whether or not this was worth posting because I know it will probably aggravate someone or probably cause some sort of senseless argument but it's really something that annoys me and lately I've found I'm not the only one. There really is no need to have every single texture for your truck or track 2048x2048 or higher, the only things I can completely understand being 2048x2048 are the body and other textures which you see pretty much all of whereas a small bolt or even battery texture shouldn't have to be more than 1024x1024. We all know how poorly optimized RoR is without any of this being brought up but lately some of the trucks getting released I've seen have several 2048x2048 single colour textures... there is no need at all for this. A 10x10 would easily suffice for a solid single colour, making it a massive size with do absolutely nothing to the quality of it. Spec maps are a similar thing, you don't need to have them superbly large, 512x512 or 1024x1024 should be plenty. I understand we all want good quality everything but as we have all found out at one time or another that doesn't always work very well when it comes to this game so while we don't have very many limitations there are things we can do to help improve performance for everyone.

• Upvote 9

Actually I am glad you brought it up, we (people who haver been running/hosting events) have been having difficulties with trucks with oversized textures causing ROR to crash. I am 99.99% sure SMRA will be enforcing a texture limit next year to deal with it.

Lol, imo bodys are the only this that should have a 2048 x 2048 sized pngs. On my trucks i have the bodys 2048 but the rest 1024.

Not even 1024, there's few textures that can be even smaller like plain colors, or that kind of stuff.

I think specs can be smaller than the original texture too! :3