Goodbye Teamspeak...

Tom P.

So I have been running the (unofficial) Team Speak server for the site for almost 2 years now. I really love Team Speak, and it is a great platform. I have decided to no longer continue my Team Speak server, but I think I have found something more efficient for myself and hopefully for everyone else. The number one reason I am moving my server, is so I don't have to keep my computer running, especially when I am not using it. Most of you guys know I was using a TS hosting site for a year, but stopped after lack of donations and I couldn't afford to keep the server running at the time (17 year old kid without a job RIP). So now I have something that is free (for you and for me) and I don't have to keep my computer running all day. It is called Discord. It is very similar to Team Speak, but it has some very awesome perks. You can use the Discord client or use your browser (Chrome,Firefox. etc). From what I noticed, it takes up even less memory than Team Speak. The servers are IP protected and the audio codec is very consistent. In this situation for me, it doesn't make sense not to switch to this amazing, new platform. 

Discord doesn't use IP's to connect to servers. It uses invite URL's, which are unique and only work once for the user it is sent to. Once you are invited, you are permanently able to join that server (unless you are banned by an admin, or leave the server willingly). You can be invited by anyone who has access to the server. You must sign up on the site, or after downloading the client. Here is what Discord currently looks like...

b9419bd915.jpg

I am keeping the TS server up for a little bit longer, but will be taking it down in a few days.

If anyone wants an invite, please message me on the TS server, or PM me on Sim Monsters.

• Upvote 1

Invites have been sent all the people who PM'ed me on SM. For those who messaged me on TS, I went to bed. Sorry I didn't reply. Please message me later in the afternoon today and I'll be able to invite, in the mean time, anyone who is in the server currently can invite you. 

Also, I wanted to show how you can create multiple servers on this. For example. Lets say SSRS wants to use this instead of Team Speak. Danny can easily create a new SSRS server and invite all of the people running in that event. You can create invites that only last 1 day, even a few hours, so once the event is over, that person can no longer rejoin until Danny (or Moderating staff) sends them an invite. All of the servers you are a part of are listed in the left side on the window in the client. You can easily join the servers seamlessly.

35def3a850.jpg 

Here, the first box is Brian's server. The second one is mine. The plus button is create a new server, or join another server. So a league director or league racers could easily switch between the league server, and the lounge server. Just an idea.