Compatibility Issues or Something Else?

tenpoundburrito

Hello, everyone! I've been around here for a couple years now, and I've been having little to no trouble with this site or the game itself. However, I now find myself in need of help or advice on how to fix an error that has cropped up in the past couple weeks. I've tried looking over the forums, searching via Google, and looking into different methods myself. I'm close to a fix, but I don't seem to have the final piece. This will be a long introduction, but please read through to understand what I've already tried.

What's going on is, I had been playing Rigs of Rods .37 and .38 with the Sim-Monsters Versions III and IV and Taurus Racer 13's Leafer packs, along with a couple others, with practically no issues. I liked the better compatibility of .37, but the ability to choose other trucks without exiting via the top-screen menu and much better framerate was nice in .38 but some of the trucks have invisible tires some of the time. However, .37 suddenly quit working. I've done no updates beyond adding some trucks and tracks (and no computer updates as I don't have internet), but .37 wouldn't get past the load screen. It just crashed with the generic "unhandled exception" error. I tried removing the more recent updates, with no change. I ended up reinstalling .37 and was able to load any track I wanted, but any truck I tried instantly crashed the game when I tried to load it, throwing an "OGRE" error. I tried redownloading the packs on a jump drive thinking there might be an update to them, but no change. I can't get anything to load, even other .37 Rigs of Rods cars from people like Gabester and Squishy.

I tried moving on to .38 with much better success. All the trucks from Version III and Version IV work fine (except Destroyer, which is using a 2004 Ford F-150 body instead of the 1990s Chevrolet S-10 body it used to have for some reason), and the framerate is even better than before. However, there are still two nagging problems. I tried adding a couple custom trucks, like Little Tiger, Saigon Shaker, and Reptoid, and they crash the game just like in .37. Secondly, all of Taurus 13's leafer trucks load, but about three quarters of them have invisible tires. None of the other trucks from V3 and V4 do this. I know this was an issue with .38, but I can't get .37 to work at all anymore, so that isn't really an option, and they worked before, so why have they suddenly stopped?

I even tried moving up to .42, and all the trucks load fine and work great. A couple had white tires, but I can deal with that. However, practically none of the tracks have been updated to the terrn2 system, so that's also out of the question for now.

I really love the older monster trucks that I grew up on, so I tried a couple different methods to fix this, and found a few more interesting bugs that may help solve this issue. If I try to load a leafer truck first, before loading any other, the game instantly crashes to the desktop with that "OGRE" exception like in .37. If I load a V3 truck or V4 truck first, they will all work, but again, most with invisible tires. The ones that load perfectly seem to share a unique tire design (Goliath, Michigan Ice Monster, Stomper Bully, etcetera). I keep them in a separate zip file. If I put any of them into the V3 file, none of them appear on the menu screen to choose. If I put them in the V4 menu, only the Leafer Pack II trucks show up.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this. I apologize in advance for any gap in my replies as, like I said before, I have no internet at home and am conducting this on a library computer. I will reply as quickly as I can with results from ideas I am given. Thank you!

Thank you. I'll check it as soon as I get back tonight. I've pretty much given up on .37. I still can't load a single monster truck, and when I load any other vehicle it shows up with no tires or wheels sitting on the ground.

While using .38, I tried unpacking the V4 trucks into a separate file and unpacking the leafer trucks into that same folder with a little more success. All of the leafer trucks are working now with no crashes, but about half still have invisible tires, evenly split among Pack #1 and Pack #2. Is there any way to link their files to another tire in the pack to ones from a leafer truck that works?

Also, one V4 truck did crash the game. It gave me a missing file error: BLKSwaybarlink.meshh. I checked, and I'm pretty sure a lot of other trucks I was using use this file, so I don't know why this one can't read it. When I get a chance tonight, I'll double check the folder to make sure it's there and report back.

• 8 months later...

Okay, I got incredibly busy for awhile. I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling, one at a time, Rigs of Rods .37 and .38, and testing the monster truck packs last weekend. First off, the V3 and V4 packs work fine with both versions, no issues whatsoever yet. I'm using the .38-compatible version of V4.

However, when loading the leaf sprung trucks into .37 by either adding them to V4 or as a standalone file, they all crash Rigs of Rods. I tried the same thing with .38, and they all work, but most of them still have invisible tires. What am I missing? There are no errors popping up, no missing files according to the database. These are some of my favorite trucks from the era when I used to watch Monster Smash on TV and I would really like to try them. Any help would be appreciated.