1029Eric

RockCrwlr Made this post over a year ago saying: "After constant crashing on tracks with no explanation in the RoR log, I have come to the conclusion that the extremely outdated version we are currently using does not support new materials as much (I cannot update SUD with new materials). This is a chance for many of us to move over to a more updated, more optimized version of Rigs of Rods. Sure .038 is stable but it does not like current engine settings and trucks are way too fast. There is so much potential for SM if we move (i.e breakables, adjust sky settings, ingame visual debugs for easier modding, more optimization). Express your comments and/or concerns." No changes were made.

I was thinking instead of going to 39.5 lets go to 0.4.5! I was testing it and everything works except for tracks. There is much more room for customization. There is a new beautiful new GUI which comes with many improvements for the user. Thargo said "I think your all just too scared to do it." And I think this is totally true. Lets update and make things better. Who's with me?!? 

Also, The first step to take the journey would be for someone to release a track for 0.4.5

And the best part!! You cant accidentally hit escape and quit your game! XD

Edited by 1029Eric

"Too scared to do it" huh? No offence but you are showing your clear lack of knowledge towards the subject. (Even further solidified by making two posts that boil down to you wanting a track in 0.4.5).
Actions speak louder then words and unfortunately you are going to have to show some actual substance rather then enthusiasm.  

• Upvote 2

"I think your all just too scared to do it." And I think this is totally true.

You're entitled to think what you like, despite your misguided claim.

Lets update and make things better. Who's with me?!? 

Lead the way, then.

Also, The first step to take the journey would be for someone to release a track for 0.4.5

I nominate you.

And the best part!! You cant

accidentally hit escape and quit your game! XD

Sorry, but that sounds like a problem unique only to you.

"Too scared to do it" huh? No offence but you are showing your clear lack of knowledge towards the subject. (Even further solidified by making two posts that boil down to you wanting a track in 0.4.5).
Actions speak louder then words and unfortunately you are going to have to show some actual substance rather then enthusiasm.  

This is not about wanting a track for 0.4.5 This is about the community switching to it. My other post is about that.

You're entitled to think what you like, despite your misguided claim.

Lead the way, then.

I nominate you.

Sorry, but that sounds like a problem unique only to you.

In the post a year ago there were tons of users wanting to switch to a newer version.

This is not about wanting a track for 0.4.5 This is about the community switching to it. My other post is about that.

But the end of your whole deal came down to your opinion of first needing a track in 0.4.5, which you already covered in another thread.

In the post a year ago there were tons of users wanting to switch to a newer version.

And there have been posts wanting an updated truck pack, but whenever there has been an attempt to get a group of people together it falls apart. Of course people want to move to the newest offering but they want it without having to be invested in it.

And how is my claim misguided.

"I think your all just too scared to do it."

Trucks and tracks would have to be completely overhauled to work correctly in 0.4.5 (and not in a half ass just get them working for the sake of having them). Enough work that it would be ludicrous to expect one or even a couple of people to do it. The fact that you have not offered to help (or in the case of you not knowing how to, learn to help) facilitate the move leads me to believe that you have very little knowledge on the inner workings of ROR or if I am incorrect in that assumption you are wanting someone else to do it for you. I wish it was just that simple, I have been working (with help from a few others) for almost a year on making a proper monster truck for ROR starting from scratch and guess what? It still is not close to being done. Stuff just does not happen overnight, trial and error is a time intensive part of ROR.

Edited by Outlawed
  • Upvote 3

Can someone give me a reason why we cant switch in stead of telling me everything wrong about my post?

Well for starters 4 posts in a row that could all be in one single one seems like a probable to me.

As for why we haven't switched? Because the majority of the threads suggest an upgrade to 0.38 or 0.39 which is absolutely pointless. Many of us are actually in favour of upgrading to a new version but almost everyone I've talked to agrees it needs to be 0.4.X+ to even be worth bothering with in the first place. Problem #2 it will make 99% of the content on this site currently unusable and I do not foresee anyone putting together a team to remake 300+ trucks and hundreds of tracks and just to be safe let's mention the thousands of other variables you need to factor in when using a recently released version of a game that was never optimized well from the first release, surely it's been improved but the only real way to fix it right is to start over and we all know that is not going to happen.

Most of the crashing problems people have are actually memory errors which is again how lovely the game is optimized for performance (it isn't) and a fairly stable fix i and others have found was smaller texture sizes because let's face it, you should never have a 2048x2048 image for something you're never going to see anyway. As far as the upgrade goes you're looking at it entirely one sided which when it comes to a major change like that you can not do. You have to take in everything and evaluate where it stands and weigh the pros and cons of staying where we are or upgrading. If you don't like it that's fine but before you rush to asking people to abandon what many of us waited 10 years for maybe you should try to learn a few things about the current version we use.

• Upvote 1

Trucks work fine I tested them. And who said we have to remake hundreds of tracks? The is lots of pros to move to a newer version with many new features. Especially having a game that is not over 5 years old. The 4.5 version supports 1080p. 

And how is my claim misguided.

"I think your all just too scared to do it." And I think this is totally true.

You claim is misguided because of agreeing with another person's claim that the reason for not wanting to move to a different version is because of some "being too scared to do it." Fear does not even factor in to this. Not to mention the fact that this year old post you're referencing was talking about a different version of the game than the one you would like to see development of a track in.

While we have been down this road before at this site, and I've posted something along these lines before, do you even begin to comprehend the commitment, time, energy, and effort it takes to create content for this game? The creators of this site do it out of their own desire and want to contribute and further the development of the specific medium in which we utilize this game.

From what I have been seeing/reading, 0.4.5 uses a terrain file system that is different than that of the current RoR versions in use by us here at SM. The new file system has obviously caused problems for some. Even one user currently developing a track told me a new model he is working on crashes 0.4.5 and has yet to find the cause.

If this new system is indeed causing grief for some in the development of tracks, then that is a pretty good indication of why no one has chosen to move to the new version yet. While there are a lot smarter people on this sight than myself who have a fantastic understanding to the inner workings of this game that could probably tell you some other issues that may lie within 0.4.5 (such as the posts above mine made by Outlawed and RKM), that is at least one major issue that I'm aware of.

So what you are wanting to see is a sudden move to a different version of a game that is (as far as I know) unexplored of it's inner workings. Unfortunately, the good people of this site that create and develop content for this game, in between their busy schedules, circumstances, and personal endeavors might not be able to commit to trying to explore and test the possibilities of development within 0.4.5. Not to mention the lack of people willing to commit to helping re-create all the models, assets, physics, etc. in a different/newer version of the game.

Currently, the need to move to a newer version of RoR has not arisen yet, nor are people willing to commit to it, at least certainly not without having to invest/upgrade their computer specs, which would shut out a good majority of people who play this game.

The is lots of pros to move to a newer version with many new features. Especially having a game that is not over 5 years old.

A great many of us played/created/developed in MTM2 for years. That game was released in 1998. I played it, created/developed content for it up until 2006. Was it limited? Yes. Did we make it work? Yes. Did we enjoy ourselves? Yes. Was there an alternative at that time to gravitate to a better optimized/more capable game/engine? No. Not until later.

The same can be said with RoR. To restate what I said above: There may well be a desire to upgrade to a different version of RoR. The need however hasn't justified the means. The versions in use right now may be limited, but still work. At least mostly toward the desired outcome.

With each new change or upgrade, there is another learning curve. A new factor. A new problem to solve. If 0.39.5 had issues with people being able to play in multiplayer servers (don't know if the cause or factor therein was ever discovered), and if there hasn't been any tracks developed for 0.4.5, with at least one user's experience being that an asset crashes 0.4.5, yet works fine in 0.39.5 (which again had a reported issue with people being able to playing in multiplayer servers), then the perfect medium hasn't been struck yet. Not at least until another version is released that meets all of our criteria, and doesn't hamper or limit the continued development of what many are trying to achieve.