Monster Jam Games...

erhminer

Ok Im sure a ton of people agree on this, but I find it ridiculous that here we sitting here with this super realistic simulator FOR FREE, meanwhile Monster Jam is charging people money to buy a cheap garbage arcade game that looks like it back from around the first game. The point is there is obviously technology to do it why hasn't Monster Jam made a game lkike this? Too cheap? Not there target audience? IDK, but as of current I despise every single game they make.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, erhminer said:

Ok Im sure a ton of people agree on this, but I find it ridiculous that here we sitting here with this super realistic simulator FOR FREE, meanwhile Monster Jam is charging people money to buy a cheap garbage arcade game that looks like it back from around the first game. The point is there is obviously technology to do it why hasn't Monster Jam made a game lkike this? Too cheap? Not there target audience? IDK, but as of current I despise every single game they make.

More to do with audience (let's face it, most mobile gamers are small children so the whole cool stunts big destruction flips and shizz is what appeals to them) and also the sport itself is way too niche to really get a strong developer on board

8 hours ago, Charlie H. said:

More to do with audience (let's face it, most mobile gamers are small children so the whole cool stunts big destruction flips and shizz is what appeals to them) and also the sport itself is way too niche to really get a strong developer on board

This is true but even the console games which have always been OK have become well garbage, its just disappointing.

Long post ahead, so brace yourselves.

It might have something to do with MJ and a developer being afraid to do it. They know that arcade games centered around monster trucks will work. When MJ made their first video game (Maximum Destruction-2002), three monster truck arcade games had already been released and done pretty well (Monster Truck Madness 1,2, & 64). They knew and had evidence that an arcade style monster truck game would do well because they did in the past. There isn't strong evidence that a full 100% simulator like ROR (which doesn't do the best job and has a less than ideal number of limitations) would do well. For one, there is only one simulator out there (ROR). If I wanted to try and put something on the gaming market I wouldn't feel confident if their is only one game of its type. Also, they do not know how well the game would be for different audiences. They could know that older monster truck fans would enjoy a simulator just from looking at this website's audience. But they would not know about the 4-8 year-olds. They would rather play it safe and have a secured audience (kids) than put tons of money into a game that might not do well. 

I would not mind it all if Monster Jam took after Monster Truck Destruction and made a game similar to that. MTD features a lot of realism in the sense of qualify-to-compete, round-after-round racing, a damage system, and timed freestyle. Not to mention most of the trucks are free and the game is easy to pick up. However, the game does suffer from poor graphics, glitches, lack of updates for different systems (they have problems finding iOS developers and their PC version struggles and barely functions), as well as unrealistic tracks. A game like Monster Truck Madness 1 would also do well, a mixture of arcade racing and realistic racing (staging, bracket-style racing, and qualifying). If a simulator comes out, like a full fledged monster truck simulator, another problem arises: you'll need the license from FELD to have fan-favorites (Grave Digger, Max-D) or have Bigfoot style trucks (which kids might not know so well since MJ dominates the monster truck industry in terms of publicity). Until ODD Games makes MTD more realistic and gets together a better developing team or MJ puts a simulator dedicated to monster trucks out there, we'll be stuck with ROR or whatever comes up next. I wouldn't mind a race between ODD and MJ to make the better simulator, because the technology is there and both groups would make amazing games.

The best thing about ROR is that we can have amazing tracks like Mt. Pleasant from Monster Truck Throwdown, every Vegas track that MJ puts out every year, and the tough-to-master Back To School Bash from Charlotte Motor Speedway all in one game. If you want to, you can pit Bigfoot against Grave Digger or see how Max-D would look at a 4-Wheel Jamboree. Ever since the idea of corporate owned trucks, the chances of seeing a simulator with what I just mentioned is very low. That's ROR's biggest advantage.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to reply to this a while ago, but it slipped.

Monster Jam 2007 will always be one of my favorite games. It had a great variety of both outdoor and stadium events with good graphics and interesting gameplay schemes. There were a decent lineup of trucks, basically the World Finals 8 contenders or most of them (but no repainted Avenger!!!), and some cool unlockables, like videos and trophies for doing certain things. The game takes a good amount of time to finish 100%, but the replay value could've done a little better. Unless you grab someone to do multiplayer with you, there's really nothing to the replay value.

Maximum Destruction was bought after 2007, and it was fairly decent for it's age. The vehicular combat franchise was already popularized with Twisted Metal, but Maximum Destruction seemed to take it right from them. It had the same exact concept: destroy the competition through physical interference. The graphics were a little rough, considering what Gran Turismo 3 did for it being released a year prior. The lineup of trucks was decent, and bigger than it's 2007 successor, and once again, included trucks geared towards it's time period. This means no Bel Air Avenger or Maximum Destruction. Shoot, not even a Team Meents because it was supposed to be released in 2001, but somehow they fit in GD 20th. Gameplay was a little hard, because if I remember right, trucks were controlled via joystick, not buttons. Replay value was better than it's 2007 counterpart because you could do minigames and exhibition matches that did not count towards completion.

The only other game I have is Path of Destruction for the Nintendo DS. It was okay for the DS, but replay value was at bare minimum without restarting the game, because you level up too quickly and it becomes easy to overtake the competition within the first minute. Graphics were a usual for the DS: they were horrible. Good for a DS, but bad in general. I literally only had to take an hour or two out of my day to beat this.

I do have a non-Monster Jam game, but it's MTM for the GameBoy Advance. It was decent for my first game EVER, but replay value is, again, at bare minimum, without restarting the game on the other 2 profiles left uncompleted. The graphics are standard for GBA, and they sucked. It took me less than 2 hours for me to finish this one, and after that, I didn't touch it until I was ready to complete the next 2 profiles.

Other than all those, the only game I've even seen gameplay for was Urban Assault, which is basically the 2007 game with different trucks and game modes, like that skee-ball thing. It looked okay.

I like Monster Jam games, to be honest. It may be because it brings back nostalgia from when I used to play them as a little kid, but I do enjoy picking up the controller and playing them from time to time.

47 minutes ago, LeMaddog said:

Urban Assault was my childhoold.

Path of Destruction ruined the franchise in my opinion.

The only thing the DS was good for was for the KNex that came with it, which ended up scrambled in my toybox somewhere and now somewhere in the Pacific Trash Vortex.

• 2 weeks later...

Well in my sense is that the developers could do a full simulator to where it has real tracks and trucks and the trucks can break and have real damage like broken axles, drive shafts, forlank bars, wheels, and blown tires but the could also include an option to where is has assists like stability to keep it from flipping over like they had in path of destruction, and have it to where the damage can go from sim to cosmetic, so to be honest it wouldn't be hard for them to do it and have happy customers on the older but also in the younger ages aswell.

36 minutes ago, Monster Maniac said:

Well in my sense is that the developers could do a full simulator to where it has real tracks and trucks and the trucks can break and have real damage like broken axles, drive shafts, forlank bars, wheels, and blown tires but the could also include an option to where is has assists like stability to keep it from flipping over like they had in path of destruction, and have it to where the damage can go from sim to cosmetic, so to be honest it wouldn't be hard for them to do it and have happy customers on the older but also in the younger ages aswell.

But lets be real. Video games cater to all ages, 3 to 103. But Monster Jam is different. The actual shows are no different, but the games are made like they are to cater to little kids, like stated before. Even if that isn't intended, it is so because the adults would rather have the full simulator instead of a game like Battlegrounds (most recent release, I have it now), which is actually really bad in terms of realism. It's bad in general, but the physics, control/controls, and pretty much everything is just poorly made. But it caters to kids who wouldn't give a flying crap about it because it's monster trucks and high flying, backflipping stunts and such.

I doubt that Monster Jam will ever make something that can compare to Rigs of Rods because it will always cater to the youngest generation. Whereas Rigs of Rods can cater to all ages because of it's physics levels being so high, with stunts and air time not being any harder to achieve.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2016 at 7:59 PM, Aeris Syrius said:

But lets be real. Video games cater to all ages, 3 to 103. But Monster Jam is different. The actual shows are no different, but the games are made like they are to cater to little kids, like stated before. Even if that isn't intended, it is so because the adults would rather have the full simulator instead of a game like Battlegrounds (most recent release, I have it now), which is actually really bad in terms of realism. It's bad in general, but the physics, control/controls, and pretty much everything is just poorly made. But it caters to kids who wouldn't give a flying crap about it because it's monster trucks and high flying, backflipping stunts and such.

I doubt that Monster Jam will ever make something that can compare to Rigs of Rods because it will always cater to the youngest generation. Whereas Rigs of Rods can cater to all ages because of it's physics levels being so high, with stunts and air time not being any harder to achieve.

Very true, I agree we will probably never see a good simulator like this out of cooperate, but as long as this works twords future games like beam.ng (already have metal mulisha over there) I think we don't have to worry about falling into there crappy games.

On 7/18/2016 at 10:40 PM, LeMaddog said:

Urban Assault was my childhoold.

Path of Destruction ruined the franchise in my opinion.

I felt that as Syrius said 2007 was the best, than shockingly as opposed to most I actually preferred POD over UA, but that was on a Wii. On a DS It would have to be 2007, than UA, than never even played it just saw game play and it pains me to put this on here, POD.

Another long post. Beware of spelling errors since a few of my keys are broken.

I personally find that since I use a Nintendo Wii that probably the two most realistic games made for Monster jam were definitely Path of Destruction and Urban Assault. The original Monster Jam game for Wii was a piece of crap (or maybe I think that since I'm solely a nun chuck control user) I find that neither of those two games look very realistic however one thing I notice is that on the Monster Jam Urban Assault disk case the Grave Digger is pretty nice looking. I was unfortunately not alive at the time MTM, MTM2, and MTM64 were released and would like to try out the full version of MTM2. So far I feel that rigs of Rods and Sim-Monsters is the best free Monster Truck simulator in the world (If you can find a better one that's free show me because If not I couldn't believe you). It simulates ho the trucks look, break, handle, etc... On android, I'm sure that MTD is the best one out there so far. Monster Jam mobile app sucks and the steering is very choppy.