If you suffer from any kind of depression, please read...

Doomed User

I recently just pulled my friend out of a suicidal black hole. Metaphorically. She was very depressed and was contemplating suicide, and me and her boyfriend had to push her to remember what was good and that suicide does more bad then good. Her home situation is FUBAR, and she feels like her obligation is to make everyone happy, which is breaking her down.

I had to pull her out of that hole, along with her boyfriend, and it was no easy task. I've done this before, and have even done it before myself, because I've been to that place, and once you're in too far, the darkness consumes you to no exit.

I started using metaphors of what would happen if she took drastic measures, and that didn't seem to work. I talked to my parents about it (my mom is bipolar and my dad has tried to kill himself before), and they both said to urge her to find help.

I started talking to her about telling her family, but she started explaining the situation to me, and I could really understand why she refused to tell only me and her boyfriend.

I told her she could either A. tell her father or B. tell the school guidance counselor. She didn't trust any of them, even after I told her that the counselor legally can't dispose of any information she is given unless it breaks the law.

She tells me she didn't trust anybody at all, and I had to name off one last person: our Gifted teacher. We're both in the Gifted program, and our Gifted teacher is extremely nice and he promises to never let anything out of the room, no matter what. He's just like a therapist, but doesn't give off that atmosphere like it's a mental institution.

We're arranging to meet with him before school on Wednesday so she can talk to him. Me and her boyfriend have already done our part, and now that she agreed to find help with the teacher, it feels like a huge weight off of our shoulders.

So just know that if you suffer from any kind of depression, suicide is not the answer. You can always find help from someone. If your family is non-caring, find a good friend. If that won't do, find a school guidance counselor or arrange a session with a therapist, call a depression hotline, or anyone who will listen to you. Don't go unheard.

Thank you, and don't self destruct. Leave that to me.

-Mr. Self Destruct

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline Phone Number
  • 1-800-273-8255
  • Upvote 3