First Traxxas Stampede

bkelly

So I got a Traxxas Stampede 2WD and I'm a bit 'out of the loop' with upgrades and whatnot. 

So I've been looking for a front bumper and apparently the Stampede 4x4 bumper doesn't fit the 2WD, and I should get a Slasher front bumper, is this correct? As well as the slasher light kit?

Also basic maintenance and cleaning?

Never owned a Traxxas vehicle so I don't know exactly what would be compatible, but as far as cleaning and maintenance, a hose down of simple green and a wipe off with a good towel should be a periodic thing. The electronics (battery, speed control, receiver, servo and motor) should be removed when this is being done. Every 6 months to a year you should inspect the differential outdrives for the rear (where the dogbones connect), as well as the spur gear which can easily have the teeth stripped out of it. Also check for cracks in the front and rear control arms, as those are what you will more than likely break the most often. I would also go ahead and order some front and rear control arms along with spur gears, and you will also need a set of hex wrenches to remove most screws on the truck if you ever have to replace something. 

Absolute first thing you need to upgrade is the castor blocks.  They're the weakest point of any traxxas truck and have been for years.  Go aluminum.  Next go for the control arms both front and rear.  Dont get aluminum and you want those parts to have a little give.  Go with RPM.  After that if you plan on just bashing maybe look into better tires as the stock ones are hard as a rock and offer little to no grip.

5 hours ago, Jack Merkle said:

Absolute first thing you need to upgrade is the castor blocks.  They're the weakest point of any traxxas truck and have been for years.  Go aluminum.  Next go for the control arms both front and rear.  Dont get aluminum and you want those parts to have a little give.  Go with RPM.  After that if you plan on just bashing maybe look into better tires as the stock ones are hard as a rock and offer little to no grip.

Agreed on the RPM parts. My Slash Brushless 2WD has most RPM parts and those parts have never broken.

I would say RPM A-Arms and Caster Blocks then from there just bash it till something breaks and when something does replace it (With RPM if possible). as far as cleaning with a Traxxas you can pretty much just hose it down really. I usually only clean my Traxxas vehicles if they get really dirty if not i just leave it. Will say on a brushed slash the motor will die out of the blue. i have gone through idk how many stock motors in my 3 over the years i have had mine and now none of them are running waiting till i finally put brushless in all of them.

27 minutes ago, DDT said:

I usually only clean my Traxxas vehicles if they get really dirty if not i just leave it. Will say on a brushed slash the motor will die out of the blue.

Brushed motors are designed to be cleaned frequently. Dirt and debris get in between the north and south magnet, the rotors and the brushes and cause them to lose connection completely after a while. 

23 hours ago, Jon Cannon said:

Brushed motors are designed to be cleaned frequently. Dirt and debris get in between the north and south magnet, the rotors and the brushes and cause them to lose connection completely after a while. 

Should just go brushless :D. I had a brushed bandit that went through 3-4 motors for no reason, wasn't getting dirty or anything. Luckily my friends dad (who got me into RC, as he and his two sons all had 4WD Slashes) hooked me up with a brushless 2wd slash for $100 plus the bandit. Brushless is nice because it's mostly water-resistant, and all the other electronic mostly come water resistant. Plus, you don't have to worry about dirt and mud as much.

11 hours ago, LordFrosting said:

Should just go brushless :D. I had a brushed bandit that went through 3-4 motors for no reason, wasn't getting dirty or anything. Luckily my friends dad (who got me into RC, as he and his two sons all had 4WD Slashes) hooked me up with a brushless 2wd slash for $100 plus the bandit. Brushless is nice because it's mostly water-resistant, and all the other electronic mostly come water resistant. Plus, you don't have to worry about dirt and mud as much.

I'm not trying to say brushed motors are better than brushless, I'm saying that that is why he went through so many motors. You don't have to run it through any kind of thick dirt, the brushes will be contaminated anyway after a while on asphalt or concrete. I would be the first to say brushless is the way to go if someone asked, I've been racing since before they came out and witnessed the benefits first hand when I bought one of the first Novak 6.5 turns in 2005. The Traxxas electronics may be water resistant, but most Reedy or Tekin motors today are not. All the enclosed casing does is protect the magnets and stator from contamination, not from water, as the shaft that the pinion goes on top of has holes that are still completely exposed, on any brushless motor.

59 minutes ago, Jon Cannon said:

I'm not trying to say brushed motors are better than brushless, I'm saying that that is why he went through so many motors. You don't have to run it through any kind of thick dirt, the brushes will be contaminated anyway after a while on asphalt or concrete. I would be the first to say brushless is the way to go if someone asked, I've been racing since before they came out and witnessed the benefits first hand when I bought one of the first Novak 6.5 turns in 2005. The Traxxas electronics may be water resistant, but most Reedy or Tekin motors today are not. All the enclosed casing does is protect the magnets and stator from contamination, not from water, as the shaft that the pinion goes on top of has holes that are still completely exposed, on any brushless motor.

My apologies, I read something that wasn't there, got the wrong idea.

On 12/27/2016 at 6:31 AM, bkelley said:

So I got a Traxxas Stampede 2WD and I'm a bit 'out of the loop' with upgrades and whatnot. 

So I've been looking for a front bumper and apparently the Stampede 4x4 bumper doesn't fit the 2WD, and I should get a Slasher front bumper, is this correct? As well as the slasher light kit?

Also basic maintenance and cleaning?

From what I'm reading and looking around for, the RPM Slash Front bumper fits perfectly to the Stampede. For Traxxas products, just make sure you clean the areas around the screws and try to keep dirt from the motor. Most stock slash parts will last you a while, I'd just upgrade as you break like  @DDT Said. 

On 12/27/2016 at 9:14 PM, Jon Cannon said:

I have actually had one or 2 brand new from the back get installed, run it in  the street in front of my house for 20 minutes, put it away then couple days later pull it out and motors are dead. All well all 3 of my pedes dont run currently due to dead motors or ESCs.

I'll give a little update on what I've done so far:

• I got an RPM Slash front bumper, and it's held up to some collisions on the front end. It's scuffed up but I don't care; as long as it protects the truck I don't care how scuffed up it gets.

• I did get some RPM control arms but need some camber/toe links to install them correctly.

•I think I stripped a gear; there's a clicking noise and I looked into the spur gear. There isn't anything in between the teeth that caused the clicking and the teeth look kind of worn where the clicking is occurring.