Best Monster Truck Innovation?

bkelly

In your opinion, what innovation furthered the sport the most? It can be rollcages, freestyle, driver safety, 3D bodies, drag racing, big time sponsorships like Metal Mulisha and Hot Wheels, or anything!

I think drag racing from TNT to Penda to Monster Wars (these few series aren't the only) furthered monster trucks pretty far. When TNT rolled along, the craze for monster trucks had started, but now they raced instead of just crushing stuff? Actual racing with a points championship? Yep. Drivers now had to design their trucks for racing instead of exhibition car crushes. And this pushed monster trucks really to where it is today. The Penda series launched off with drag racing, showing off the power these newly designed race vehicles could make. Monster Wars followed with a more technical side, making drivers have to think their way around a course and maneuver it flawlessly to win. Before TNT and others such as HART Productions, trucks would slowly crush a car. When legit racing came around, drivers designed the trucks to race faster and lighter. Without racing, monster trucks could still be vehicles mainly used for a single one-and-done car crush, although this is unlikely with the way Bob Chandler continued to push monster trucks. Points championships like TNT and Penda sped up that process.

Post away on your thoughts!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fitted containment seats and ratchet belts! Last weekend I drove a monster truck and the seat was built for someone 150ish lbs heavier than me, two show weekend(arena) and I hurt my tailbone, second show was hell. I couldn't hardly sit down all week. This weekend I was in a much better fitting seat, survived a 3 show weekend no problem even with a hurt tail bone, even managed to get 2nd in freestyle during the 3rd show!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, CravenMoorhead said:

Fitted containment seats and ratchet belts! Last weekend I drove a monster truck and the seat was built for someone 150ish lbs heavier than me, two show weekend(arena) and I hurt my tailbone, second show was hell. I couldn't hardly sit down all week. This weekend I was in a much better fitting seat, survived a 3 show weekend no problem even with a hurt tail bone, even managed to get 2nd in freestyle during the 3rd show!

Who do you drive for? This sounds cool!

• 2 weeks later...

In my honest opinion I think tube frames was the best innovation. It's a design that basically put leafers out of order because they were much more durable, sturdy, and efficient. It was also more spacious so it could hold better parts (better shocks, bigger engines, etc). Its a design still used to this day and was a major innovation back in the late 80's and early 90's.