Monster Jam: Path of Destruction

SilverWolf

<_< the "commentators" completely wrecked my concentration on the gameplay. i have nothing more to say.

Which is why I said "you can put it on mute while you watch" above the video. Besides the stupid comments the gameplay footage is actualy helpful, I thought.

I promise I will do a no-bullpoo demonstration of this game, commenting on everything I see the first time.

Joking about the Tacoma death, knowing full well the only people watching the video are monster jam diehards who hated how it and the Dan Patrick accident made our sport look, is the dumbest poo you could do. Imagine if you made a video expressing your thoughts about the latest NASCAR race, and you made a joke about Alan Kulwicki. The only people watching it are NASCAR fans, and they will rip your buns to pieces. I will admit, I have very little compassion for almost anything in my life, but when you joke around about a serious incident and the only people listening to you were in tears when they heard about the death for the first time on mayhem, that's a no-no. It may be funny to some people, and I get that. Holocaust jokes are funny. Tell one of them to a jew, however, and you'll be lucky to get three meters before your head is kicked around like a soccer ball.

The game runs on the same physics engine as Monster 4x4: Masters of Metal. It's clear as day. I played it on my emulator a few times, and when I saw the first legit gameplay footage of PoD, I almost poo my pants. That's right, they just re-used an 8 year old game engine. Even the career mode hub and truck select screen is the same.

On the plus side, we have chicago style racing. And Grinder's "home track" is as close to a real layout as we asked for. Some arcade features, they kind of did it right.

On the negative side, there was a lot of bullpoo. The trucks just don't land right, almost the way they did in Masters of Metal.

I'm starting to think they took Masters of Metal and updated it a bit.

They are still getting my money, and I will still play it and complete it, and it'll be a game I'll play when I'm bored.

Posted this over in RORMJ. Some exclusive people in here, so they might want to see it

--------

Impressions. Ask me anything you want to know.

POSITIVES

- Truck models look beautiful on my 1080i monitor. Major graphical improvements everywhere else.

- Chicago style racing in a few stadiums, J-Style everywhere else

- "Stadium Circuits" are ok. Nice that they still kept the MJ event feeling and not LOL ONTO THE STREETS FOR AN ALL OUT RUMBLE WITH YOUR FAVOURITE MONSTER JAMS bullpoo like UA/07

- Obstacles are creative, and I wouldn't mind if someone imported the FS tracks in PoD into Rigs of Rods just to dick around with. San Diego FS is wicked, I don't care how unrealistic it is.

- Truck setup screen isn't much, but can make freestyle realistic. Pick the "throttle out" setting for freestyle, much more realistic handling. You won't win any events, but I like it.

- Stadiums are accurate. Not sure about the surroundings, but everything looks generally like it should. Main highlight being Orlando.

- There is no generic skin for the stadiums, the boss truck logos are still there. I personally don't mind them.

- Minneapolis looks incredible, and IMO, it should be converted asap. The three tier jump in the middle would be nuts in ROR, and it's the perfect scale.

- MaxD looks a lot better ingame than in the screenshots. The body looks miles better than the past games

- Scott Douglas commentates a lot more. There's an annoying guy comparable to a spotter or crew chief like in nascar, but he's tolerable.

NEGATIVES

- Vegas racing layout isn't entirely accurate. Reminds me more of the Orlando setup a few years ago.

- Freestyle is still driving around randomly and hitting poo without thinking much. Always liked the scoring system the games have had, but winning still requires 10 backflips and barrel rolls.

- Some ramps throw the truck into a corkscrew automatically. Not bad for freestyle, but in Stadium Circuits, it becomes a pain in the buns.

- Truck creator features about 50 decals in all. Huge potential (I was still able to whip up something average in like five minutes), but there's not even any letters to put on the truck

- Why is the game promoting Mohawk Warrior so heavily? He's the goddamn boss truck for Vegas!

- Stadium racing takes all of 30 seconds to complete. Two races, 10 seconds each, plus another five for having to mash A or X when the bracket comes up

- Took just under four hours to get Gold Medals in every event on hard difficulty. Bought the game at five, started at 5:30, finished at 9:00, got picked up for the black ops launch 20 minutes later cause my bud wanted to finish career mode too. So if you want to rip all the models, spend an afternoon playing it and you've finished the game.

- You can't pull a sky wheelie off of cars.

- Certain ramps make you do certain tricks. You can only do backflips on certain ramps. You can only do sky wheelies on ramps painted like an american flag. You can only do slap wheelies on two or three FS maps in the game

- Truck settings consist of three presets. Top Speed, Great Acceleration, and "Crowd Pleaser" (freestyle setting, absolutely useless in racing).

- No difference in handling of the trucks, unlocking upgrades (which are automatically applied) don't do poo.

- There is a turbo button. Not a big deal for me, as it doesn't increase top speed. Only acceleration. Use it when you're in the low gears.

- My biggest issue: It is impossible to roll the truck over. It sits on the side until you mash the turbo button, and spin it around until it magically uprights itself.

- There is a respawn button in Freestyle. Past games didn't have that. Wonder why it made it in now? If you use it, you're not allowed bonus time.

- Can't find a camera view I like. Chase Far has a loveed up FOV, Chase Near has a good FOV but is a bit too zoomed in on the back of the truck.

- No XBOX Live support.

Any more questions. Won't do a video, cause ^ sums it up pretty well.

well then. in this case im glad im going to spend time on a way more decent game. well again this game if nothing else will give us a few good trucks to rip. as well as a few possible new obstacle ideas for fs tracks.

Talked to patriotic canadian about it, it's going to be impossible to rip from the Wii version, unless LF finds a different way. The truck models really are 100x better. FS layouts are batpoo insane, but they would be fun just to dick around on. Minneapolis is a legit layout though.

Give it a rental. You'll run through it in three hours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...