Return from Hiatus/Most Common Version of RoR?

Helen Weales

Hello all,

I've been away for quite some time, and am getting back into the swing of things with RoR. I left off with the POWERTRAX electric series close to completion, but I recently had a setback when I accidentally deleted some of my newer track ZIPs. Not a huge problem as I still have the actual files to recreate them, but before I do I would like to know which version of RoR is now most common -- 0.3, or 0.4? I see lots of new content being made for 0.4+ (compared to when I was last here), so I can only assume it has finally become the norm? 

I also see there is a new version of RoR (0.4.7) -- is there anything I should know about this before diving back in to editing?

-HW

P.S. -- did anyone ever figure out how to add mud to terrains in 0.4+? I remember this being the only issue I had with it. (EDIT: nevermind, was finally able to solve this)

P.P.S. -- I meant to post this in the Help and Support forum -- feel free to move this (sorry, it's been a while! :lol:).

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Helen Weales said:

Does this mean 0.4.6 is the standard version here, even though there is a newer version available?

That is correct. I'm not exactly sure the reason why, I've never tried .4.7 but it may have some stability issues if I had to guess.

Welcome back to the site! Can't wait to see your future projects, loved your past stuff.

To my knowledge one of the reasons we haven't tried moving to 4.7 was the fact that the way online servers work is completely different from what we have now; it's pretty much just a learning curve thing for the most part I would imagine. But when you get down to it I think it's more along the lines of the fact that we've got most stuff figured out for 4.6 and it's pretty stable for the most part, I'm personally not against moving to a newer version but I don't necessarily see the need atm unless it's just incredibly superior to what we're using now.

But yeah 4.6 is pretty much the version all of the leagues are running, there are some people who are still using .37 but there's honestly no reason to as 4.6 fixes so many issues that plagued .37 for pretty much the entire time we used it. There's also been talk of mandating that all content be made for 4.6 and getting rid of the .37 part of the site, but we've yet to make any decision on that yet.

TL;DR: 4.6 is the way to go, don't bother with .37.

10 hours ago, tyrannos said:

0.4.7 (at least in my experience) has weird issues with turning radius. you might turn faster and tighter in one direction but slow and wide in the other.

Good to know, thanks! I've gone with 0.4.6.

I feel like the trucks behave somewhat differently than in the old versions (0.3X), or maybe it feels different due to such a higher FPS? I've had to adjust my trucks and give them more grip and adjust the brakes. I don't recall these issues when I was pushing for the community to move to 0.4+ a few years ago. Have other truck makers noticed this, and if so what kind of changes have you made?

3 hours ago, Helen Weales said:

Good to know, thanks! I've gone with 0.4.6.

I feel like the trucks behave somewhat differently than in the old versions (0.3X), or maybe it feels different due to such a higher FPS? I've had to adjust my trucks and give them more grip and adjust the brakes. I don't recall these issues when I was pushing for the community to move to 0.4+ a few years ago. Have other truck makers noticed this, and if so what kind of changes have you made?

i haven't made any. i switched from 0.4.7 to 0.4.6 due to the issue

• 3 weeks later...