Official Monster Truck 2K19 Thread

Nick Migues

11 hours ago, Outlawed said:

@Robertson Racing I have been noticing a trend that the first truck to put in a decent run gets scored in the 9's almost immediately. Then the fans boo themselves when other drivers put in just as good of a run if not better and do not take the lead.
I am thinking that FELD needs to figure out the possibility of introducing a multiplier to the scoring algorithm based on how much time is filled. Until then, people are dumb so the scoring is going to continue being dumb.

I've noticed that too. Probably why a group of 50k people don't make the best judges. There's quite a few ways Monster Jam could go with this. I don't think they've ever had professional judges, at least not as a regular thing, since freestyle became scored nearly 20 years ago. They should definitely try that, having hired judges, so the fans don't have to boo themselves and so it would be more fair to the drivers and their points. Also, I remember at the Back to School Bash last year they scored on criteria, rather than just an overall number. That might be worth trying out, too.

20 hours ago, Outlawed said:

@Robertson Racing I have been noticing a trend that the first truck to put in a decent run gets scored in the 9's almost immediately. Then the fans boo themselves when other drivers put in just as good of a run if not better and do not take the lead.
I am thinking that FELD needs to figure out the possibility of introducing a multiplier to the scoring algorithm based on how much time is filled. Until then, people are dumb so the scoring is going to continue being dumb.

It is a real problem. Either incorporate professional judges again or a multiplier like you suggested. Don't get me wrong, Becky has a few good moves but nothing overly spectacular, Cory went hard for 90% of the run and got a 6.8 which I don't understand. Hell, even with Todd nearly clearing the track with that leap he came up short. I like the fan scoring system but when someone gets a 9.5 VERY early on because all the kids gave them that score because its their favorite. I argued with a clueless family about Cory/Todd deserving to win while their only argument was "Becky went hard and she's a a girl so that's why she deserves it" 

2 hours ago, steiale said:

FELD and Mattel are having some fun times right now:

https://jalopnik.com/monster-jam-is-going-to-war-with-mattel-1831623802

I'm gonna give the unpopular opinion here. I think Feld is in the wrong for doing this. First of all, if I understood the article correctly, Feld ended the relationship with Mattel? When Mattel has been there for 20 years producing solid (at worst) products? The only year where Mattel's products were bad was 2015, when all of the trucks just looked lazy but 2016-2018 was some of the best years for MJ toys. Also, the Hot Wheels tour is significantly less than MJ. It's not like Bigfoot and Hollman and whoever else runs those bodies is going to be backflipping, I mean, it's a concrete floor show and the tickets are about $30? It's not a shot at any of those teams, I'm glad to see them competing and whatnot, it's just obviously more of a Thunder-Nationals-esque kind of thing when Feld has pretty much abandoned that type of competition. 

The only truck that the HW tour runs/sells toys of that I think resembles anything close to a Feld truck is the tiger shark truck. I believe the toy version uses the shark body that Mattel has owned since it produced the Great Bite truck in 2002, not the Megaladon body that HW used in 2018. But I can see where Feld is coming from with this part. Boneshaker has been a Mattel entity since about 2010, and that's just the monster truck. I'm pretty sure the Boneshaker concept has been with HW for far longer than that, and Boneshaker is definitely not a rip on Grave Digger. I think Feld shouldn't rip on Boneshaker because they've never had that actual truck. I've always associated Boneshaker as a HW thing. Again, I can see why Feld is upset over this but it's not like they copied an actual truck Feld runs.

Not really trying to start a war or anything, but Feld dropped a loyal partner after 20 years and now they're trying to take them out? If I was Mattel I'd be equally upset and wouldn't sell a product for a company that just dropped me. And I know Feld wasn't entitled to stay with Mattel, its just that after so much success where the toys have literally formed their own fanbase, I thought Feld would stick with them. 

In all honesty it all just looks a little childish. Feld drops Mattel, Mattel stops production of MJ trucks, this pisses off Feld who just dropped them, Mattel starts up production of their own line of trucks, keeps the trucks that they created, hires former Feld employees, and then gets Bigfoot. And this all started because Feld got upset over a mold made for trucks you can hold in your hand.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, bkelly said:

I'm gonna give the unpopular opinion here. I think Feld is in the wrong for doing this. First of all, if I understood the article correctly, Feld ended the relationship with Mattel? When Mattel has been there for 20 years producing solid (at worst) products? The only year where Mattel's products were bad was 2015, when all of the trucks just looked lazy but 2016-2018 was some of the best years for MJ toys. Also, the Hot Wheels tour is significantly less than MJ. It's not like Bigfoot and Hollman and whoever else runs those bodies is going to be backflipping, I mean, it's a concrete floor show and the tickets are about $30? It's not a shot at any of those teams, I'm glad to see them competing and whatnot, it's just obviously more of a Thunder-Nationals-esque kind of thing when Feld has pretty much abandoned that type of competition. 

The only truck that the HW tour runs/sells toys of that I think resembles anything close to a Feld truck is the tiger shark truck. I believe the toy version uses the shark body that Mattel has owned since it produced the Great Bite truck in 2002, not the Megaladon body that HW used in 2018. But I can see where Feld is coming from with this part. Boneshaker has been a Mattel entity since about 2010, and that's just the monster truck. I'm pretty sure the Boneshaker concept has been with HW for far longer than that, and Boneshaker is definitely not a rip on Grave Digger. I think Feld shouldn't rip on Boneshaker because they've never had that actual truck. I've always associated Boneshaker as a HW thing. Again, I can see why Feld is upset over this but it's not like they copied an actual truck Feld runs.

Not really trying to start a war or anything, but Feld dropped a loyal partner after 20 years and now they're trying to take them out? If I was Mattel I'd be equally upset and wouldn't sell a product for a company that just dropped me. And I know Feld wasn't entitled to stay with Mattel, its just that after so much success where the toys have literally formed their own fanbase, I thought Feld would stick with them. 

In all honesty it all just looks a little childish. Feld drops Mattel, Mattel stops production of MJ trucks, this pisses off Feld who just dropped them, Mattel starts up production of their own line of trucks, keeps the trucks that they created, hires former Feld employees, and then gets Bigfoot. And this all started because Feld got upset over a mold made for trucks you can hold in your hand.

Some of what you said is correct, but there are other legal issues that FELD is taking action against.  I read the suit and it's deeper than FELD just being mad at Mattel.  Yes FELD ended the contract (not sure if it was terminated or not renewed), in 2018 but the contract they had between each other was that the products would be produced until the end of the calendar year (2018).  Not only were there accusations of Mattel reporting false statistics when FELD asked about distributors and other business metrics, but Mattel didn't restock suppliers when they reported shortages of products, Mattel also cut supplies of Monster Jam molds, and other properties to manufacturing in replacement of their own Hot Wheels Monster Trucks line, thus violating the contract between Mattel and FELD.  So now not only are less Monster Jam/FELD products on the shelf (during the fourth quarter which FELD reports as their biggest and most important quarter for selling products), but Mattel replaced what they should have been producing (FELDS/Monster Jam products through the end of the year) with their own Hot Wheels Monster Truck branded items, in a way stealing profits from FELD as Monster Jam products should have been on the shelf.

The lawsuit talks about Hot Wheels Monster Trucks Live but isn't taking action on that and doesn't really care about that tour from what I gathered.  They are upset over the loss of royalties they would have gotten had Mattel not violated the contract and finished out 2018 with the proper production and marketing of their Monster Jam products.  

Were Mattel could get into hot water with is that while Bone Shaker and Tiger Shark and other names are their own property, they were advertised and sold under the Monster Jam line of toys.  FELD is claiming that some versions of Bone Shaker, Rev-Treds, Stars and Stripes, and Mattel Hotweiler were purposefully made and designed using concepts from the FELD Monster Jam product line, violating not only the contract between Mattel and FELD, but FELD is claiming that Mattel did this purposefully when they quit giving suppliers FELD products, began to advertise and brand their own line (Hot Wheels Monster Trucks) based on trucks with FELD's trademarks to purposefully confuse customers and drive their own (Mattel's) sales.  The trucks in question of the trademark violation are a specific version of Mattel's BoneShaker with FELD's Grave Digger, Mattel's Stars and Stripe Rev-Tred with FELD's Stars and Stripes line, and Mattel's Hotweiler with FELD's Monster Mutt Rottweiler.

Not going to lie, FELD does have some basis here from what the suit is claiming.  Mattel did report false figures and didn't properly restock suppliers with what their contracts said they should have.  I think that has more basis rather than the trademark issues, but we'll see what the jury decides.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, maxdman said:

Some of what you said is correct, but there are other legal issues that FELD is taking action against.  I read the suit and it's deeper than FELD just being mad at Mattel.  Yes FELD ended the contract (not sure if it was terminated or not renewed), in 2018 but the contract they had between each other was that the products would be produced until the end of the calendar year (2018).  Not only were there accusations of Mattel reporting false statistics when FELD asked about distributors and other business metrics, but Mattel didn't restock suppliers when they reported shortages of products, Mattel also cut supplies of Monster Jam molds, and other properties to manufacturing in replacement of their own Hot Wheels Monster Trucks line, thus violating the contract between Mattel and FELD.  So now not only are less Monster Jam/FELD products on the shelf (during the fourth quarter which FELD reports as their biggest and most important quarter for selling products), but Mattel replaced what they should have been producing (FELDS/Monster Jam products through the end of the year) with their own Hot Wheels Monster Truck branded items, in a way stealing profits from FELD as Monster Jam products should have been on the shelf.

The lawsuit talks about Hot Wheels Monster Trucks Live but isn't taking action on that and doesn't really care about that tour from what I gathered.  They are upset over the loss of royalties they would have gotten had Mattel not violated the contract and finished out 2018 with the proper production and marketing of their Monster Jam products.  

Were Mattel could get into hot water with is that while Bone Shaker and Tiger Shark and other names are their own property, they were advertised and sold under the Monster Jam line of toys.  FELD is claiming that some versions of Bone Shaker, Rev-Treds, Stars and Stripes, and Mattel Hotweiler were purposefully made and designed using concepts from the FELD Monster Jam product line, violating not only the contract between Mattel and FELD, but FELD is claiming that Mattel did this purposefully when they quit giving suppliers FELD products, began to advertise and brand their own line (Hot Wheels Monster Trucks) based on trucks with FELD's trademarks to purposefully confuse customers and drive their own (Mattel's) sales.  The trucks in question of the trademark violation are a specific version of Mattel's BoneShaker with FELD's Grave Digger, Mattel's Stars and Stripe Rev-Tred with FELD's Stars and Stripes line, and Mattel's Hotweiler with FELD's Monster Mutt Rottweiler.

Not going to lie, FELD does have some basis here from what the suit is claiming.  Mattel did report false figures and didn't properly restock suppliers with what their contracts said they should have.  I think that has more basis rather than the trademark issues, but we'll see what the jury decides.

Ah, I didn't catch the part about Mattel reporting the false statistics. I just still see it sort of weird for Feld to come out and end the relationship and still expect Mattel's full loyalty back. Feld had obviously decided to go with Spinmasters well before 2019 started and while Mattel was still expected to produce toys for them. I guess that with how contracts are set up (and how this probably had to be decided months before 2019 anyways) it was going to end up being ugly or awkward for one of the parties. 

I do agree that the trucks being looked at for trademark violation do look similar to trucks sold under the MJ name, but I just have a hard time really faulting Mattel over it. I honestly thought it was great for Mattel to do their own line of real trucks because again, the toys have a fanbase and this helps keep that fanbase. 

If anything comes out of this, I think it should really just be false figures and contract violations. I just have a harder time faulting Mattel when Feld expected loyalty back over those last few quarters when Feld was not really showing it back. I understand that business is business, and Spinmasters may have been more lenient with a friendlier contract. I just think Feld's timing/exit strategy was not really thought out. Also pretty safe to say that we will probably never see Hot Wheels and Monster Jam together again.

I'm at the show in Spokane, 3 of the 8 trucks are broken so far. We aren't even done with racing yet. Will update if anyone comes back.

Update 1: Tyler Meninga wins racing. Had a nice voice crack in his interview after.

Update 2: Colton Eichelberger was watching the track crew fix the track and shook his head in disappoint, they did a really bad job and left multiple ruts in the surface. Tyler Meninga wins ATVs with a last corner pass on the outside.

Update 3: 2 of the trucks are back, however a 4th, MaxD now has issues. Tyler Meninga wins the 2 wheel skills with a really cool wheelie into stoppie combo. I'll probably upload the video later tonight and put it here.

Update 4: No sweep for Tyler tonight as Tony Ochs in Soldier Fortune wins the donut contest.

Update 5: They just gave away tickets to the World Finals. So now this family needs to find a way to get from Spokane to Orlando.

Update 6: Colton wins Speedsters after Tyler rolled it.

Update 7: There is a dance contest. Every child is flossing. Send help.

Update 8: Tyler Menninga wins freestyle. I will probably upload that tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Okay so I just got back from Newark, which means it's time for my good ol' fashioned long awaited highly anticipated annual review:

btw i got front row seats this year....I felt like a VIP person after first arriving at my seat.

Racing: Nothing really special here, most matches were expected victories and the finals went down to Brandon and Coty, with the winner being Coty.

ATVs: Pretty much the same as Racing.....until something terrifying happened. In the Black Flag race, all was going well at first, until someone's ATV clipped the rear left wheel of Ami's ATV, sending both her and her ATV tumbling. The ATV rolled on and over her, then she crawled to the side of the track. The race was immediately halted, and officials and other drivers rushed over to her. After a few minutes, a stretcher was brought out, and Ami was strolled off the track. Ultimately the winner was Mark, but this was sadly the end of the night for Ami.

Two Wheel Skills Challenge: This was actually pretty interesting. Cory pulled off the rare incident of his truck being stuck on the rear end, which surprisingly scored him well. Mark did his typical "snort the bull while doing a popper" move, and almost won with it. The winner would be Brandon who did three poppers, one in which putting his truck on one wheel for a brief moment, then bringing it back down.

INTERMISSION CAUSE WHY NOT: Got me some dippin' dots, and....yep. They were good tho

Donuts: Eh....nothing too special outta here, either. Mark and Brandon looked like they were about to straight up slam their trucks onto their lids for a moment, but other than that, it was alright. Brandon made it two straight wins here.

Speedsters: A few upsets here, such as Coty losing to Matt, whose luck bit him in his next match as he rolled in the second turn. Brandon made it yet another win after taking out Justin in the finals.

Freestyle: Kinda interesting as well. Brandon had two nice saves, but was severely underscored. Kayla got some good air and a save as well. Matt wrapped up the night with a meh run. Kayla took the win in the end, and Brandon took the Overall Win.

Overall: 7.5/10 - Many interesting moments throughout the night; pretty good show overall, just about as good as it was last year, and certainly a LOT better than MetLife last year, as well. Speaking of MetLife, the long wait and hope for a better show than last year begins.....

Also, at the end when all of the drivers were walking around the track, I was doing the bull horns as Mark was passing by. He spotted me doing it and did 'em right back at me. Pretty cool moment.

#PrayforAmi