My thoughts on the monster truck industry

CarCrusher

Hello Sim-Monsters community,

I apologize up front for potentially sounding monumentally ignorant, but I have some opinions I would like to share with you. Many of you might not agree with what I have to say, but perhaps you’ll be able engage in good discussion about it, and your feedback is certainly desired, even if it’s just to inform me that I’m a moron.

So to start, I must say that I’m not the biggest fan of Monster Jam. I’ve always held a certain level of disdain for it that was directed at its “Disney on Ice”-like approach, but even recently I’ve discovered more reasons to detest Monster Jam/Feld Entertainment. But I don’t want to make this thread about bashing MJ. This thread is instead about what I  would like to see happen with the monster truck industry.

So, you’ve probably heard this opinion uttered before, but I’m one of those people (however many there are) who would love to see a legitimate national points series racing league for monster trucks. I understand that this has been tried in the past with the likes of ProMT, MLMT, and MTRS, which all ultimately failed. However, I don’t believe that this means that a true racing series could not work.

I get that most people like Monster Jam, and the current format of freestyle-centered shows. I just simply don’t share those opinions. I’m a racing addict. I love true and fierce competition. I believe that monster trucks lack it.

It is my opinion that monster trucks are not viewed as a true motorsport, nor ARE they are true motorsport. I believe that the format for monster truck events that is widely utilized today diminishes the validity and credibility that this sport deserves. I alubelieve that the current format has jumped the shark. Monster trucks are now doing stunts and tricks they were never really meant to do. Sure, backflips are impressive in 10,000+ lb machines, but I believe that the sport has moved so far away from being an actual sport, and so much towards just a circus and spectacle, that it’s getting ridiculous at this point.

I would love to see someone succeed in making a successful national points series for monster trucks that contains racing-only, open-qualifying, purse money, a large truck field (16-20 trucks per race), and real racing. I would actually like to do this myself one day if I’m lucky enough to have the opportunity. I think racing can be just as, if not more, thrilling than freestyle if the tracks are built right. If the trucks are really given a chance to get opened up and really rev their engines, push them too the limits, and have big photo finishes, it is more exciting than aimless freestyle. Having good sized jumps helps this too. 

At the end of the day, I’m a huge and lifelong fan of monster trucks. I absolutely love them, but I find the industry frustrating. I feel like for people like myself who want to see a serious racing league for monster trucks are just let down. It’s nothing but sparse little tours where teams get paid booking fees to do canned shows. It really is a bummer. 

I would love to hear everyone chime in on this. Is there anyone here who shares my opinion? Do you think a successful racing points series is possible now, or do you think it’s been tainted by the likes of MLMT and others? What do you think of the topic altogether?

Thanks for reading!

Since almost every other post I see that's critical of Monster Jam is usually pessimistic, melodramatic, or whiny, this is definitely refreshing to see. Honestly I think it's almost impossible to reminisce about the older aspects of monster truck racing without sounding like an oldhead haha.

I've also been thinking about ways to revamp the racing courses, since the racing in Monster Jam seems a bit too smooth and controlled, if that makes any sense, especially compared to freestyle. It's still "real racing", but doesn't feel like it's on the ragged edge. That might just be because of how much the trucks have developed in terms of handling and performance. Not that they should jump through flaming hoops, but I know there's people on this site who have come up with some great new racing ideas, Danny Mackey being one of them.

I think the common caricature of a monster truck show has almost always been that of a wacked-out, low-brow stunt show, rather than that image being something that's developed over time. As much as Monster Jam adds to that, I don't think they're solely to blame. I'd guess somewhere around 80-90% of the attendees are casual fans and usually expect those high levels of carnage that you'd see at a Monster Jam or Throwdown show. Monster trucks are kinda like NASCAR for people who only like the crashes. I've seen plenty of backflips, stoppies, moonwalks, etc., so I'm not really excited by them anymore unless they happen unexpectedly, even though they're always impressive. Most of the fans love them though, so I can't really get upset. I do think it's making things harder for independent promoters though, like you mentioned, and has for years. Since Monster Jam has taken the entertainment aspect so far, it's a lofty expectation for other promoters and drivers to be able to hold their own in comparison.

Now don't get me wrong. Fans aren't only capable of enjoying the stunts and destruction, and can absolutely enjoy intense racing. I just don't think a racing-only monster truck show is viable in this day and age, especially since most people don't know that these shows even have racing to begin with. However, it would have to test the trucks in a similar way to how freestyle does in order to really work. I think you're right in that there's still much that needs to be done in order for more of the audience to enjoy the competition as much as the entertainment. There's got to be a happy medium somewhere between intense racing and entertaining freestyle, I would assume/hope.

2 hours ago, JackMProductions said:

Since almost every other post I see that's critical of Monster Jam is usually pessimistic, melodramatic, or whiny, this is definitely refreshing to see. Honestly I think it's almost impossible to reminisce about the older aspects of monster truck racing without sounding like an oldhead haha.

I've also been thinking about ways to revamp the racing courses, since the racing in Monster Jam seems a bit too smooth and controlled, if that makes any sense, especially compared to freestyle. It's still "real racing", but doesn't feel like it's on the ragged edge. That might just be because of how much the trucks have developed in terms of handling and performance. Not that they should jump through flaming hoops, but I know there's people on this site who have come up with some great new racing ideas, Danny Mackey being one of them.

I think the common caricature of a monster truck show has almost always been that of a wacked-out, low-brow stunt show, rather than that image being something that's developed over time. As much as Monster Jam adds to that, I don't think they're solely to blame. I'd guess somewhere around 80-90% of the attendees are casual fans and usually expect those high levels of carnage that you'd see at a Monster Jam or Throwdown show. Monster trucks are kinda like NASCAR for people who only like the crashes. I've seen plenty of backflips, stoppies, moonwalks, etc., so I'm not really excited by them anymore unless they happen unexpectedly, even though they're always impressive. Most of the fans love them though, so I can't really get upset. I do think it's making things harder for independent promoters though, like you mentioned, and has for years. Since Monster Jam has taken the entertainment aspect so far, it's a lofty expectation for other promoters and drivers to be able to hold their own in comparison.

Now don't get me wrong. Fans aren't only capable of enjoying the stunts and destruction, and can absolutely enjoy intense racing. I just don't think a racing-only monster truck show is viable in this day and age, especially since most people don't know that these shows even have racing to begin with. However, it would have to test the trucks in a similar way to how freestyle does in order to really work. I think you're right in that there's still much that needs to be done in order for more of the audience to enjoy the competition as much as the entertainment. There's got to be a happy medium somewhere between intense racing and entertaining freestyle, I would assume/hope.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the subject matter. You brought up some good points. However, I think you and I might be differing in what where talking about.

All I’m really saying is that I think that the sport of monster trucks is not a real motorsport, and I attribute this to the past 20-25 years of the sport increasingly heading towards a more “sports entertainment” format, but really culminating with Monster Jam pushing it over the edge. You’re right in saying that MJ isn’t solely to blame for this, but I believe thay’ve completely cemented the status of monster trucks as a joke of a motorsport. They’ve jumped the shark with freestyle and the big stunts. Also, nowadays it seems like Monster Jam has entered a new era of being basically like Disney on Ice with monster trucks. They own basically all the trucks that compete with them, and when you go to their shows, the drivers are always young, good-looking, cheeky, bubbly little millennials who talk like Disney princesses and princes. They are basically just actors playing monster truck drivers. Feld owns Disney on Ice, so Monster Jam is basically just Disney on Ice with Monster Trucks. I went to the show in Nashville at Bridgestone last week and the whole time I felt way too old to be there because it felt like a Disney show aimed at kids. The announcers speak in these cheery little voices, like they’re talking to kids. It was just kind of unbearable.

But more to my main point, I feel that the sport of monster trucks needs to break out of the format that is currently used and has been used for decades now, where it’s just a promoter promoting “shows”, and just a bunch of truck teams being paid booking fees to appear in the show. Monster trucks need a real racing league with open-qualifying, racing only, purse money, and real competition. If it were up to me, there would be no freestyle. As impressive as it is to see what the trucks can do via freestyle events, I think freestyle just diminishes the credibility of the sport. I’m tired of hearing people say “we’re going to the monster truck ‘show’”. I’m tired of it being called a “show”. I want it to be called a “race”.

So in summary, I just want there to be a true monster truck racing series, and I want to see monster truck teams really compete, rather than “put on a show”. I want to make it like NASCAR or NHRA or any other true racing motorsport. I want to see teams have to hire the best driving talent available. You know, it’s really difficult to become a NASCAR driver, because these teams are serious. They’re looking for the best of the best. I would love to see monster trucks enter that territory. I would love to see them have to open-qualify. Pure, no-holds-barred natural selection. No booking fees, no freestyle or cheap stunts, just real racing, real passion, and real competition.

My dream is to one day host a single event each year that is a large open-qualifying race that has a large truck field, a large purse, and real racing. Probably at a large motor speedway like MLMT did. Then I could build it up from there.

And p.s. I don’t think wanting to establish legitimacy to the sport by introducing real racing makes one an “old soul”. I’m not proposing to bring back steel-bodied trucks. I’m just proposing to make monster trucks great again with real racing.

1 hour ago, CarCrusher said:

All I’m really saying is that I think that the sport of monster trucks is not a real motorsport, and I attribute this to the past 20-25 years of the sport increasingly heading towards a more “sports entertainment” format, but really culminating with Monster Jam pushing it over the edge. You’re right in saying that MJ isn’t solely to blame for this, but I believe thay’ve completely cemented the status of monster trucks as a joke of a motorsport. They’ve jumped the shark with freestyle and the big stunts. Also, nowadays it seems like Monster Jam has entered a new era of being basically like Disney on Ice with monster trucks. They own basically all the trucks that compete with them, and when you go to their shows, the drivers are always young, good-looking, cheeky, bubbly little millennials who talk like Disney princesses and princes. They are basically just actors playing monster truck drivers. Feld owns Disney on Ice, so Monster Jam is basically just Disney on Ice with Monster Trucks. I went to the show in Nashville at Bridgestone last week and the whole time I felt way too old to be there because it felt like a Disney show aimed at kids. The announcers speak in these cheery little voices, like they’re talking to kids. It was just kind of unbearable.

You have to remember who the target audience is. Families with children are the main revenue draws for Monster Jam, so they’re going to make a show that reflects that. That’s why bodies nowadays are kinda getting farther away from being trucks and now are character oriented. Older fans, while still present and important, aren’t the biggest piece of the pie, so that’s why we’re seeing this shift from Motorsport racing event to theatrical performance. 

1 hour ago, steiale said:

You have to remember who the target audience is. Families with children are the main revenue draws for Monster Jam, so they’re going to make a show that reflects that. That’s why bodies nowadays are kinda getting farther away from being trucks and now are character oriented. Older fans, while still present and important, aren’t the biggest piece of the pie, so that’s why we’re seeing this shift from Motorsport racing event to theatrical performance. 

Yes, I 100% agree. I’m not suggesting to do away with Monster Jam. I just wish there could be a new series for racing, that’s all. The problem is that trucks like Grave Digger and Max D and all the other trucks on the MJ circuit could never compete in it because Feld owns them all. 

Not to rag on Monster Jam too much, but this article details another reason why I can’t, in good faith, support them anymore https://www.theblaze.com/news/all-gun-images-ordered-removed-from-monster-trucks-at-florida-show

It appears that MJ, just like lots of other companies I no longer support, has taken the PC route. Once companies engage in this kind of cowardly affront to human dignity known as political correctness, I’m done with them.

In fact, I was completely turned off by the show I went to last week. I noticed that the entire show was overtly politically-correct.

To start with, the chick driving the Zombie truck was given so much face time by the announcers, and she never shut up about how “girls are just as good as boys” and how “this is not just a man’s sport anymore” yatta yatta... I was fine with it the first time or two, but this annoying chick never shut up about it.

Then I noticed that the announcers kept saying something to the effect of “here at monster jam, we allow people of all genders to compete on the same field”, or something to that effect. Again, it was okay the first time, but they had to remind you every five minutes during the show by saying it again and again to show you how “inclusive” they are. It got so cringy that me and my buddy turned and looked at each other like “wtf is this crap?”. 

The other thing that happened was when they interviewed the driver of El Toro Loco, a hispanic man, they did the entire interview in Spanish, despite the fact that he could speak fluent English. This was in NASHVILLE TENNESSEE! 

Look, I’m not saying that it’s bad to be inclusive or whatever, but this was not genuine. It’s a way of pandering to the current zeitgeist that exists in America today. They want to show everyone how “woke” they are because it’s the safe way to go. But I’m tired of seeing companies capitulate to this stupid trend, which is actually a very dangerous form of authoritarianism. I’d like to see some companies grow a damn backbone and stand up for freedom of thought and expression instead of caving into this thought-policing and censoring horse crap.

I’m very sorry for getting political. But I’ve been needing to vent this for the past week regarding Monster Jam. It really irritated me that monster jam of all things has been sucked into the PC bandwagon. It’s freaking MONSTER TRUCKS! If you’re looking for something soft, cuddly, and nice, you’re in the wrong damn place! These are big trucks with big tires and big motors that make lots of noise. It’s no place for political correctness.

Okay, rant over.

4 hours ago, CarCrusher said:

To clarify, I never actually called you an oldhead. It's just that there's a lot of people out there who constantly talk about the "old days", and those who are sick of hearing about it. There's good points to be made on both sides though, and that tends to get lost in the mix.

You're right about Monster Jam having this Disney-esque gloss coating on it. It feels kind of patronizing, and I don't think most people are going to care about how pretty the presenters and drivers are at a monster truck race. I think most people like an announcer who is knowledgeable and actually has information to give, instead of someone who is very zany and doesn't offer much insight or knowledge. This goes for all sports. You don't have to be cynical or pessimistic to notice that, either. Obviously little kids won't mind, since they don't have that critical eye yet, but I learned a lot listening to the announcers when I was a kid and people who aren't that knowledgeable about the sport can as well.
My dad was watching the NBC debut show, and noticed that all the drivers at the Monster Jam University were all being trained to perform the same moves; all the stoppies, moonwalks, backflips, etc., and how they're being trained to be homogenized performers. Kind of takes the uniqueness out of the many different competitors we can have. That being said, I think the playing field in Monster Jam is the most even it's been in almost 20 years.  The trucks now are stronger than ever, so if we're pushing them harder and harder in freestyle, why not do the same in racing? Your idea of a put-your-truck-to-the-test racing show is great for that. Like I was saying before, the trucks are much tougher and stable under pressure now, so the racing would have to accommodate to that in order for it to really be as entertaining (generally speaking) to watch as it was in the past.

Monster Jam bringing back the points series makes things much more legitimate, instead of all those time in the 2000's where we'd wait for all the company trucks to be announced for the World Finals and find out which indy trucks were going to make it in the final 5-6 spots.
It makes sense how the freestyle overtook the racing in terms of interest, where the more generally entertaining aspects took place there (aside from the World Finals racing). It's really fascinating in hindsight, because I think people have felt the same way you do for almost two decades. Not just people who are allergic to change, either. I was going back and reading all of the old Truckworld articles from the early 2000's, and after World Finals 2, there were plenty of people who didn't want Monster Jam to become a stunt show where it was all about destroying the trucks, which is when ProMT was in their heyday. This was also when Monster Jam was starting to build their own trucks, and there were worries about every truck becoming homogenized and the company trucks getting the best parts and the most money. We've been seeing the effect of that ever since.

Really, most of my gripes are about the presentation, and less so about the competition. None of it makes me hate FELD or Monster Jam, unlike how a lot of Tim Horn's out there love to do. steiale is right in that the events are aimed primarily toward kids and families, and has been for many years now, but I don't think it's impossible for that audience to enjoy something that takes itself more seriously or has more legitimacy. Meaning, it doesn't have to strictly be appealing to them in order to get their attention and money. Even if 90% of the audience doesn't care about the presentation or legitimacy of the sport, why alienate that 10%? I don't think the 90% will mind if things are a little more professional, while still keeping the main aspects of a great and entertaining show/experience.

As far as your political argument goes, the gun debacle is over two years old, and I don't think it was done to be PC as much as it was done to not seem in poor taste after the Orlando shooting, considering they go to Florida every year and Gunslinger is from Florida. It's not like they had a truck called "Gun Nut" or "Mass Shooter", but they decided to prevent any possible controversy before it happened, even though it's now having the same effect from the opposite crowd. It can get annoying when anything is hammering you over the head with morality, but I don't really mind it because it doesn't effect the main product, and it's coming from a good place regardless. I mean, them saying that there's great male and female drivers isn't factually wrong. We just get cynical about it. It's not like the sport has to be offensive in some way, either. Also, El Toro Loco is huge with the hispanic audience, so doing an interview in Spanish isn't completely illogical.

42 minutes ago, JackMProductions said:

To clarify, I never actually called you an oldhead. It's just that there's a lot of people out there who constantly talk about the "old days", and those who are sick of hearing about it. There's good points to be made on both sides though, and that tends to get lost in the mix.

You're right about Monster Jam having this Disney-esque gloss coating on it. It feels kind of patronizing, and I don't think most people are going to care about how pretty the presenters and drivers are at a monster truck race. I think most people like an announcer who is knowledgeable and actually has information to give, instead of someone who is very zany and doesn't offer much insight or knowledge. This goes for all sports. You don't have to be cynical or pessimistic to notice that, either. Obviously little kids won't mind, since they don't have that critical eye yet, but I learned a lot listening to the announcers when I was a kid and people who aren't that knowledgeable about the sport can as well.
My dad was watching the NBC debut show, and noticed that all the drivers at the Monster Jam University were all being trained to perform the same moves; all the stoppies, moonwalks, backflips, etc., and how they're being trained to be homogenized performers. Kind of takes the uniqueness out of the many different competitors we can have. That being said, I think the playing field in Monster Jam is the most even it's been in almost 20 years.  The trucks now are stronger than ever, so if we're pushing them harder and harder in freestyle, why not do the same in racing? Your idea of a put-your-truck-to-the-test racing show is great for that. Like I was saying before, the trucks are much tougher and stable under pressure now, so the racing would have to accommodate to that in order for it to really be as entertaining (generally speaking) to watch as it was in the past.

Monster Jam bringing back the points series makes things much more legitimate, instead of all those time in the 2000's where we'd wait for all the company trucks to be announced for the World Finals and find out which indy trucks were going to make it in the final 5-6 spots.
It makes sense how the freestyle overtook the racing in terms of interest, where the more generally entertaining aspects took place there (aside from the World Finals racing). It's really fascinating in hindsight, because I think people have felt the same way you do for almost two decades. Not just people who are allergic to change, either. I was going back and reading all of the old Truckworld articles from the early 2000's, and after World Finals 2, there were plenty of people who didn't want Monster Jam to become a stunt show where it was all about destroying the trucks, which is when ProMT was in their heyday. This was also when Monster Jam was starting to build their own trucks, and there were worries about every truck becoming homogenized and the company trucks getting the best parts and the most money. We've been seeing the effect of that ever since.

Really, most of my gripes are about the presentation, and less so about the competition. None of it makes me hate FELD or Monster Jam, unlike how a lot of Tim Horn's out there love to do. steiale is right in that the events are aimed primarily toward kids and families, and has been for many years now, but I don't think it's impossible for that audience to enjoy something that takes itself more seriously or has more legitimacy. Meaning, it doesn't have to strictly be appealing to them in order to get their attention and money. Even if 90% of the audience doesn't care about the presentation or legitimacy of the sport, why alienate that 10%? I don't think the 90% will mind if things are a little more professional, while still keeping the main aspects of a great and entertaining show/experience.

As far as your political argument goes, the gun debacle is over two years old, and I don't think it was done to be PC as much as it was done to not seem in poor taste after the Orlando shooting, considering they go to Florida every year and Gunslinger is from Florida. It's not like they had a truck called "Gun Nut" or "Mass Shooter", but they decided to prevent any possible controversy before it happened, even though it's now having the same effect from the opposite crowd. It can get annoying when anything is hammering you over the head with morality, but I don't really mind it because it doesn't effect the main product, and it's coming from a good place regardless. I mean, them saying that there's great male and female drivers isn't factually wrong. We just get cynical about it. It's not like the sport has to be offensive in some way, either. Also, El Toro Loco is huge with the hispanic audience, so doing an interview in Spanish isn't completely illogical.

I very much appreciate your eloquent responses, and I respect your knowledge of the industry, which is vastly greater than mine. I’m slightly more than a casual monster truck fan as of now, but with an interest to learn more. I say that notwithstanding the fact that I grew up loving monster trucks as a kid and being obsessed with them.

I was not aware of how old the gun controversy was in MJ. Guess I didn’t pay attention to the date. It popped up as an article in my google feed and I assumed it was new.

At the end of the day, when I look at the big picture, I see in monster trucks a sport that has every bit the appeal, the awe, and technological sophistication to be a true motorsport, but has never fully achieved that status. As you alluded to, I almost don’t feel fully justified as an adult in being into monster trucks because of the way it is marketed to children. I would love to see monster trucks gain the due credibility they deserve with a true racing series.

I’m not so sure a true national points series is even possible at this point. I kind of feel that the MLMT kind of tainted it for most people. What do you think?

I think a legit racing points series will be harder to do now than ever because this generation has less interest in racing than previous ones.  Their nothing more than casual fans who are looking to take their kids out to do something.  They really don't follow racing and other stuff like my generation did because there are a ton more entertainment options out there these days.  I completely agree about Monster Jam not being a legitimate motorsport anymore, just a spectacle/stunt show.  Everything from the announcers to the drivers seems very over scripted and I hate hearing them called athletes like driver is some type of insult or low brow thing to call them.  Probably the best example of things being over scripted is Meents doing any type of advertising or speaking on these specials every year.  Compare that to the early 2000's and you'll see the difference.  Early 2000's he was being himself, now he is being told what to say and how to articulate it.  Everything just looks very fake and forced.  I really like the Toughest Monster Truck Tour and believe that is the direction things should be going but they like all the other small promoters will hit the ceiling and it's not a glass one.  Gone are the days of multiple promoters running in the same venue (Astrodome, Hoosier/RCA Dome etc).  Now there are exclusive contracts and venues that won't let Monster Trucks run in them due to Monster Jam letting trucks run broken and messing up flooring and hitting walls.  These MJ guys driving today would be in big trouble driving the way they do if it was the 90's where other vehicles were on the track.  Now they just floor it at everything in racing and hope for the best.  I've never seen so many trucks crash after the finish line as I have in the last several years.  The really sad part is they have much wider ramps to hit and better suspension and still can't manage to keep the truck on all fours.  As far as Monster Jam being to blame for the current destroy all product these days I would put them at about 90% responsible.  They are the ones who started that path when they started buying trucks that they sent out to crash.  Many smaller and independent promoters couldn't compete with that which let them grow to be the giant they are today.  Being that they have little to no competition they dictate which direction the industry goes because everyone is watching them.  Unfortunately they are the measuring stick.  Kyle Doyle was saying the number one thing he got asked doing SST is "why don't the monster trucks do freestyle?"  It's all people want and expect at shows now.  I would like to see it become more legit but I think we need a smarter audience more dedicated to racing before that will happen.  There are two types of Monster Truck fans out there.  The ones that watch Monster Jam on TV with their kids and take them to the shows thinking every show is Monster Jam and there are the ones who follow the history, go to multiple promotions knowing there isn't only 1 and follow everything MT related online.  Unfortunately us intelligent/diehard fans are in the extreme minority right now.

43 minutes ago, Bobamatic said:

I think a legit racing points series will be harder to do now than ever because this generation has less interest in racing than previous ones.  Their nothing more than casual fans who are looking to take their kids out to do something.  They really don't follow racing and other stuff like my generation did because there are a ton more entertainment options out there these days.  I completely agree about Monster Jam not being a legitimate motorsport anymore, just a spectacle/stunt show.  Everything from the announcers to the drivers seems very over scripted and I hate hearing them called athletes like driver is some type of insult or low brow thing to call them.  Probably the best example of things being over scripted is Meents doing any type of advertising or speaking on these specials every year.  Compare that to the early 2000's and you'll see the difference.  Early 2000's he was being himself, now he is being told what to say and how to articulate it.  Everything just looks very fake and forced.  I really like the Toughest Monster Truck Tour and believe that is the direction things should be going but they like all the other small promoters will hit the ceiling and it's not a glass one.  Gone are the days of multiple promoters running in the same venue (Astrodome, Hoosier/RCA Dome etc).  Now there are exclusive contracts and venues that won't let Monster Trucks run in them due to Monster Jam letting trucks run broken and messing up flooring and hitting walls.  These MJ guys driving today would be in big trouble driving the way they do if it was the 90's where other vehicles were on the track.  Now they just floor it at everything in racing and hope for the best.  I've never seen so many trucks crash after the finish line as I have in the last several years.  The really sad part is they have much wider ramps to hit and better suspension and still can't manage to keep the truck on all fours.  As far as Monster Jam being to blame for the current destroy all product these days I would put them at about 90% responsible.  They are the ones who started that path when they started buying trucks that they sent out to crash.  Many smaller and independent promoters couldn't compete with that which let them grow to be the giant they are today.  Being that they have little to no competition they dictate which direction the industry goes because everyone is watching them.  Unfortunately they are the measuring stick.  Kyle Doyle was saying the number one thing he got asked doing SST is "why don't the monster trucks do freestyle?"  It's all people want and expect at shows now.  I would like to see it become more legit but I think we need a smarter audience more dedicated to racing before that will happen.  There are two types of Monster Truck fans out there.  The ones that watch Monster Jam on TV with their kids and take them to the shows thinking every show is Monster Jam and there are the ones who follow the history, go to multiple promotions knowing there isn't only 1 and follow everything MT related online.  Unfortunately us intelligent/diehard fans are in the extreme minority right now.

You raise some very good points for discussion.

First, I agree that everything MJ does now seems overly-scripted. The “athlete” thing baffled me too. It had been a couple years since my last MJ show up until last week, so that was the first I had heard them say that. I agree also that there’s a big difference in guys then and now in terms of what they say. Honestly, I hate to keep hating on MJ, but after this last event, I left with a rough manuscript of a rant in my head. There are just so many things to criticise about it. But I’d rather keep it positive and instead use this thread to discuss possibilities for how one might create a true racing series. I still believe it’s very possible, and honestly, I would love to give it a go myself. I’ve always wanted to pursue a dream like this. It is quite possible I will have the resources and opportunity in the not so distant future to do it too!

I think the hardest part is, that there isn’t enough money in monster trucks to only run for purse money. Typically sponsors for indies are mainly just products or just good deals on stuff. It’s very expensive to run a monster truck so you have to get that base pay that we get to make it worth even driving to the event and unloading the truck, because there isn’t millions of dollars in the industry. Say you’re racing hard in the semis, you crash and destroy the truck, now you have no money and 17 different parts to replace because you folded up the front end. I just think modern monsters are just to far away from being a legit racing league to ever go back and be successful 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NitroMenace said:

I think the hardest part is, that there isn’t enough money in monster trucks to only run for purse money. Typically sponsors for indies are mainly just products or just good deals on stuff. It’s very expensive to run a monster truck so you have to get that base pay that we get to make it worth even driving to the event and unloading the truck, because there isn’t millions of dollars in the industry. Say you’re racing hard in the semis, you crash and destroy the truck, now you have no money and 17 different parts to replace because you folded up the front end. I just think modern monsters are just to far away from being a legit racing league to ever go back and be successful 

Yeah, but what about freestyle where guys deliberately break their stuff?

I see your point that there’s no money in monster trucks. Perhaps that’s because it is such a casual sport for casual “fans” and families that bring their young children to see the “big trucks”. There a very few die hards like with NASCAR. That’s why I think it must be developed into a real sport that people (i.e. adults) can really get into and follow. There’s nothing to follow in monster trucks now because there’s no real racing, or points chase or whatever. It’s just canned Disney on Ice shows for the kids.

I think the right start for a racing series would be to start small at first, with one or two really good races per year. Hold it at a nice venue with a 16-20 truck field. Then possibly add more races each year until you’ve got a real series going. I think it’s possible. I believe I myself could successfully organize a great race once per year that would be a large racing-only championship. Get good sponsors on board to put together a good-sized purse. Make tons of phone calls and get the top teams in the nation to come qualify. Advertise it heavily in the local area with a Jan Gabriel-esque voice actor - “The largest monster truck event in the country! TWENTY of the nation’s top monster trucks racing for the championship title! Don’t miss out on the high-flying, car-crushing action!”  or something like that. I think it would draw in the crowds. People would come to see 20 monster trucks.

14 hours ago, CarCrusher said:

Yeah, but what about freestyle where guys deliberately break their stuff?

I see your point that there’s no money in monster trucks. Perhaps that’s because it is such a casual sport for casual “fans” and families that bring their young children to see the “big trucks”. There a very few die hards like with NASCAR. That’s why I think it must be developed into a real sport that people (i.e. adults) can really get into and follow. There’s nothing to follow in monster trucks now because there’s no real racing, or points chase or whatever. It’s just canned Disney on Ice shows for the kids.

I think the right start for a racing series would be to start small at first, with one or two really good races per year. Hold it at a nice venue with a 16-20 truck field. Then possibly add more races each year until you’ve got a real series going. I think it’s possible. I believe I myself could successfully organize a great race once per year that would be a large racing-only championship. Get good sponsors on board to put together a good-sized purse. Make tons of phone calls and get the top teams in the nation to come qualify. Advertise it heavily in the local area with a Jan Gabriel-esque voice actor - “The largest monster truck event in the country! TWENTY of the nation’s top monster trucks racing for the championship title! Don’t miss out on the high-flying, car-crushing action!”  or something like that. I think it would draw in the crowds. People would come to see 20 monster trucks.

Thing is, no one destroys their truck on purpose, I promise you. And when we do freestyle and get that flat rate pay, and most people adjust how they’re running based on what their being paid to run that show. It’s very easy to make a small mistake and destroy the truck and that entire show check and then some, so it’s just not worth running the truck hard, even if it’s just in racing show only, if you’re not getting paid and I don’t think MTs will ever get away from that. Yeah it’d be cool, but I don’t think it’s practical and don’t think many people will run their truck for purse money only 

2 hours ago, NitroMenace said:

Thing is, no one destroys their truck on purpose, I promise you. And when we do freestyle and get that flat rate pay, and most people adjust how they’re running based on what their being paid to run that show. It’s very easy to make a small mistake and destroy the truck and that entire show check and then some, so it’s just not worth running the truck hard, even if it’s just in racing show only, if you’re not getting paid and I don’t think MTs will ever get away from that. Yeah it’d be cool, but I don’t think it’s practical and don’t think many people will run their truck for purse money only 

I get it. That’s very unfortunate. I guess you’d have to have well-funded teams with good corporate backing. I always kind of figured that was why you see some guys not stepping on it at shows. They just kind of roll over the obstacles and you can tell they’re not putting their foot in it.

I still remain optimistic it can be done. Like someone said earlier, you’d have to find that happy medium. Like have a flat rate rate pay that everyone receives to make it worth while, even the trucks that don’t qualify into the field, then try to get the sponsors to provide a good purse. I still think there’s a way to make a real racing series happen. I will keep working and brainstorming until I come up with a model that works. It’s my dream to make monster trucks a legitimate motorsport with every bit the competition and passion that every other motorsport enjoys.

Hell, the people who race dirt oval stock cars don’t normally make jack squat doing it, but they still go all out for the victory, and its still real, serious racing. I will one day get a momster truck, and I will one day create my own racing series!

3 hours ago, CarCrusher said:

I get it. That’s very unfortunate. I guess you’d have to have well-funded teams with good corporate backing. I always kind of figured that was why you see some guys not stepping on it at shows. They just kind of roll over the obstacles and you can tell they’re not putting their foot in it.

I still remain optimistic it can be done. Like someone said earlier, you’d have to find that happy medium. Like have a flat rate rate pay that everyone receives to make it worth while, even the trucks that don’t qualify into the field, then try to get the sponsors to provide a good purse. I still think there’s a way to make a real racing series happen. I will keep working and brainstorming until I come up with a model that works. It’s my dream to make monster trucks a legitimate motorsport with every bit the competition and passion that every other motorsport enjoys.

Hell, the people who race dirt oval stock cars don’t normally make jack squat doing it, but they still go all out for the victory, and its still real, serious racing. I will one day get a momster truck, and I will one day create my own racing series!

Ah see I missed that, if you pay a flat rate, then it’s possible. Teams just need that flat rate to make it worth the trip. Would be cool to see it worked out