Reference Picture Thread

NavySonicShell

If anyone has any shots of the El Toro Loco Werner truck. Preferably of the engine, transfer, and of the back half of the chasis

I would very much appreciate them!

Here's what I got. 

140_zps241dd8ed.jpg

144_zps5e4050bd.jpg

141_zpsdc707d21.jpg

142_zpseb71c6cc.jpg

143_zpsd2f3c9a2.jpg

Would you have any shots of the front as well? i've been meaning to convert el toro to willman dozer, and the front is a different mould

This is the only shot I got of the front. I would've taken more during the pit party, but it was way too crowded with the truck parked right by the merch trailer.

262_zpsbdacab83.jpg

Hope these help!

#LurieLovesElToro

i wouldn't call those good close up reference pictures. Might be an ortho of brutus in there but that's about it.

12826698403_c82105d884_z.jpg

Piles of high res close up shots of intricate surfaces that help you understand the shape is what you want. not murky photos taken from the other end of the stadium

that's pretty much what I meant. I used the wrong term because I thought the term ortho would be wrong for some reason..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey so it's vegas time again, and i'd just like anything and everything. Most importantly though, Titan, avenger, Max-d, zombie, 2xtreme, Captains Curse and El Diablo

really anything is always a help, but, reference pictures and nice pictures to look at are not even remotely similar.

I don't want to play the despot, but it's just true, people come to me with images they think are really helpful, and they're just not. I'm sorry, but unless i say something, that's gonna happen again, and i don't like wasted effort or eager helpfulness in vain.

So first, let's talk orthos.

Orthos seems to be a word i accidentally invented, but it comes from the word Orthogonal, which basically means a picture or drawing without perspective. Now to illustrate this, have two images.

13235508384_f16ac8bd54_b.jpg

13235510204_8db542eeab_o.jpg

Now obviously no image in the world is going to be a perfect ortho, but even then, the bottom image is as close as can be to a perfect ortho as can be, but the top one is all but useless. Why? Because it's not orthogonal. Two reasons for this, firstly, the truck is obviously higher than the photographer, and therefore at an angle and is not a perfect representation of the shape. Secondly, and more importantly, it's closer to the camera, meaning to get it into frame, he's using a very wide lens.

Which-Nikon-Prime-Lens-to-Buy-First-650x

In order for cameras to get close objects into frame, the glass in a lens is curved. If it was entirely flat, the camera would be useless at a range of less than 30 feet, so the glass is curved to bend more of the light coming at it, therefore fitting it to the frame. Now our eyes do this too, what with being round and such, so it's no problem at all, unless you want an image to be orthogonal. The distortion of the light distorts the shape. So, taken from far away, zoomed in as much as possible, that curve is now in physical terms, flat. So now any image taken will be pretty much the best representation of an object's true form.

13235154955_93e7f98068_o.jpg

Orthos can be rough, especially for scarce shots like a top down here. That's a pretty good ortho, certainly useable, but you'd have to knead out the perspective by eye, which is easy enough.

Now that's not to say all shots that aren't orthos aren't helpful, the first one there was so high res it gave me a lot of definition of the finer details of the body, but it's useless to work against.

Now onto reference images, which is what the first picture of max-d falls into.

13235729924_fcbf29dd69_o.jpg

13235454755_8200930632_b.jpg

13235799364_39a20451de_b.jpg

13235818714_cddbdfafdd_b.jpg

13235529104_85740f2485_b.jpg

These are all reference images. They're used alongside to better understand the shape. Orthos are for broad stroke shape, reference images are for stitching in the finer details. There's a million billion images of iron man from a hundred feet away in the air, not so many of the little triangle shape and how it flows around the embossed logo and into the fender. That's the good stuff, and there's no real formula to it aside from the fact that it's all focusing on the finer details. The max-d one is a good description of the little ridges along the engine bay, the louvers on the engine bay and the shape of the pauldrons, and all those are fleshed out by the fact that it's from directly behind the truck with little perspective, whereas the CC one is a great description of the headlight shape, the window sill and the relation between the hood and the fenders, and only works well because it's heavily in perspective.

so yeah, don't want to play the despot, but i think if the people with the camera know what's really the good stuff, i think there shan't be any wasted effort or disappointment. Also, take six times as many photos as you think you need. I always think i took loads, but i get back and oh, just seven pictures of kelvin reimer's cat. great.

But yeah, if you got something, i'm always happy for it, cheers

• Upvote 1