4th in Battle of the Bands!

Metallica530

On Sunday, my band Exempt played a concert at a Battle of the Bands and did fairly well.  We've played hundreds of similar things before but, never really did that great, and knew we wouldn't because we'd always be before some really big band in my area. 

As for this show, we had a pretty good set, everything went according to planned, and people said they really liked us.  We learned later that night, we ended up placing 4th, one point out of third!  A band named My Thoughts In Color, really good friends of our got third, which was asstounding since they're one of the bigger bands in the area, and it's very suprizing we finshed so close to them. 

The top three bands got invited to "Zanafest", which is a festival for a former school teacher who taught chorus and band when my parents were in school.  Unfortunatly, the band who won the Battle of the Bands was already in, was already in Zanafest, so why they were in this, we're still trying to figure out.  As I said, they take the top three bands to the festival, but if one of them is already in, wouldn't it be logical to take the next three: second, third, and fourth?

Granted we were disappointed not scoring in the top 3, I think we did really well, probably one of our best shows to date.  Only thing the judges said we needed to work on was stage presence.  Really can't complain about fourth place, one point out of third.

Just felt like sharing.

Last time I did a battle of the bands it pretty rigged. Bands would be judged on how many people show up, so they would invite 100 people, and then make them all leave so that everyone else has no audience.

Good job though, and yeah, stage presence is 90% of the reason ill go to see a band. And 55% of communication is with the audience is done through what they see.

Not necessarily..

For point 1: Your supposed to "dance" as best suited for the music playing. Let's say the difference between Stage Presence on "Good Riddance" and "Brainstew." Both are but the same band, but you dont see Billie Joe Armstrong jumping all over the place in "Good Riddance" as much as in "Brainstew"...

For point 2: I play in a heavy grunge band and a pop/punk band. I always wear the same T-shirt and the same black jeans when performing. same can be said for many bands... the only "idiotic clothing" i can think of comes from Nikki Minaj and Lady Gaga.

Well go back through time and look at some people considered the best frontmen:

Freddie Mercury:

Maybe not jumped around like an idiot, but his clothing was... interesting.

Axl Rose:

The dictionary definition of jumping around like an idiot here. And his clothing choices were rather unique to say the least.

Mick Jagger:

Same as Freddie's.

The list goes on, but I do see the difference here is that I'm speaking of classic rock bands, you guys are probably talking only of punk bands. Punk notoriously has been casual-looking clothing and not a ton of movement on stage.

My music taste is mainly a mix of metal and punk. pretty much the only concerts I go to are Disciple, The Letter Black, Thousand Foot Krutch and few others of the sort. At least in that type of music dress-code gets maxed out at a leather jacket.

And what I was saying on the Jumping around like an idiot part, yeah there are times for that... but not really all the time. And if your set is like that all the time then you may want to write at least one song that doesn't require that. (I sure as hell couldn't do all that for a hour)

And your point is? Whenever I'm stoned, I don't feel much like moving around on stage. Molly on the other hand, I'm all over the place. Drug use in music is really a toss up. It can either help the performance, or hurt it, depending on the type of drug used and how much. For me it also depends on the lype, location, and size of show.

When I'm on stage I go complete ape $hit. I'm the singer/guitarist in my band. We play punk, rock, emo, acoustic etc. I write my own music and we also do covers. We've covered bands like Foo Fighters, Yellowcard, Nirvana, Set Your Goals, A Day To Remember, The Wonder Years.. etc. If you want attention, you have to move around the stage other than when playing acoustic. I'm pretty comfortable on stage so I'm totally use to it and I never get nervous, which is a huge plus. Just spin your guitar around your neck and posi jump and move around the stage and stuff like that. And encourage moshing.