The Musician Thread

Tom P.

Yeah, high school jazz band was one of the greatest times of my life. Been trying to find some kind of ensemble to play with in college now, but having no luck. Guess I'll just have to wait until after I transfer.

By the way, for any other woodwind players here, I'd highly recommend using Vandoren reeds. They're a bit more pricey, but damn do they have way better quality than Ricos. Also, if you're a sax player that likes playing jazz, I'd also invest in a metal mouthpiece. Great for jazz.

I can help. Ernie Ball sucks. I used them for years. I play everyday and the would start rusting within 3-4 weeks. Use Elixir strings. They are a few bucks more, but they last so long. I just changed my set that I had on for 6 months and they just started rusting. And I play every single day. Trust me, they last. They are coated and are super smooth. I use the .11's. But they obviously come in various gauges.

I have a set of Elixirs on my acoustic, and I haven't had any trouble with them.  I take the thing to acoustic shows, camping, and just leave it sitting on the guitar stand most of the time.  With all the movement and sitting about it gets, I haven't seen a singe bit of wear on them.  Just need to find the right gauge (think I use 18s) and I'm set.

As for the whole Jazz Band thing, I just went back to school today, and I happened to sign up for Jazz Band.  My guitar player in my band got me to sign up, and so far, I'm really enjoying it.  We mainly had a free day, so we just goofed off of the guitars, bass, and drum set.  Should be a really fun class.  Best part about it: at our Christmas concert, I get to wear my fedora!  :lol:

Looking for a decent Bass guitar for cheap. If anyone has any recommendations let me know.

Fender has a line of guitars called Squier, and they are cheaper models of their upper end models. They look very similar and are affordable. If you look on the guitar center site, they have a bunch of choices. Guitar Center is one of the the most popular stores in the country for Guitars and Bass. If you have one near you, you can walk in and they can help you fit your price range and stuff. You can also look on their website. 

Here are some of the Squier basses.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier,Bass.gc?ipp=25

• Upvote 1