Jim Jack flips off Tom Meents?

Tom P.

An interview i conducted with Tom Meents in 2007, shows that Jack was the first to start something.

JR- In the past, a lot of people have thought that you have came off a little cocky, and arrogant in some of your interviews. Also, some people don’t like the fact that you tap into other trucks during your freestyle runs. Do you have anything you would like to say to those people?

TM- I’ve never intentionally hit somebody’s truck. If anybody watches my runs, or sees them on T.V., or watches them live. I like to hit the floor with a lot of speed. Go back and forth with a lot of speed, get a lot of air and fly further than anybody. When I land, it’ll rebound, a lot of times it’s a matter of the floor not being long enough for me to get the truck slowed down. I like to have more floor speed than anybody if possible. I’ve never hit anybodies truck on purpose. I have tapped a few trucks. I’ve apologized to every one of the drivers. Perfect case would be this year in Atlanta. I hit the big jump, my foot actually slipped off the brake pedal. I missed a lot of valuable space, because I was going higher than anybody, and further than anybody, I bumped (Allen) Pezo and (Scott) Hartsock. I apologized to both of them. I didn’t mean to. I didn’t cause any damage to them. I can’t recall ever doing any damage to them, ever.

JR- Some of the people I’ve talked to, are more upset over what happened with Jim Jack and Reptoid in Jacksonville 2004.

TM- Well, if you actually knew the whole story about that. He came down to me. I backed back in my parking place. He drove down to where I had already backed in and parked. He pulled right up to my door and blew smoke all over me. *Laughs* Ok? Now since that point. He’s done a ton of complaining about it, and I really haven’t said anything about it. The fact of the matter was, I run over tires. I pulled up to his tire and went to run over it. He gassed ahead on me, that’s what hit the fender. It had nothing to do with me; I had a clear shot to go over his tire without hitting his body.

JR- I figured there would be a little bit more to that story.

TM- Yeah, he provoked me. He started it. Am I arrogant and cocky? No. I often get tired of being second fiddle to Digger fans. I’m out here right now, working on my own truck. I do that all the time. I haven’t gotten anything given to me in this sport, and I’ve worked really hard to get there. I worked from 8 in the morning yesterday till midnight. Is it hard for me to go up against a team that has 7 trucks when I have two? Yeah. If you look at any of the freestyles I win, very seldom do I have one given to me. I have to go a good 30% more than them just to win typically.

• Upvote 6

im old and set in my ways, i still see this incident differently than the way he (tom) explaned himself. i see the whole "blew smoke at me " then tom said" I pulled up to his tire and went to run over it. He gassed ahead on me, that’s what hit the fender. It had nothing to do with me; I had a clear shot to go over his tire without hitting his body." now the way i stil lsee it is that yeah Jim came to toms pit and blew smoke at him, gets the crowd roaring!, he went to move and stopped, that when tom came out to run over his tire and ran itno the fender. jim DID gas his truck but he stopped BEFORE tom ran up to and over his tire, and fender. i think it was just bad judgement on toms part.

THIS IS NO WAY A JAB AT JOSH RHODES, OR TRYING TO START A ARGUMENT WITH HIM.

IF ANY MOD FEELS IM OUTTA PLACE PLEASE DELETE THIS POST

• Upvote 4

Well tim, put yourself in Toms shoes for a moment. The smoke that Jim Jacks truck shoots out, at that time, was a halon fire extinguisher. So when he blew the smoke at tom, it filled the cab up with that stuff. I'd be a lil' irritated to if i were him. I think Tom really did try to drive up onto his tire, but just mis-judged it and that happened. Jim was interviewed at the wrong time, and didn't have a chance to talk to tom or calm down a bit. The whole situation was mis-read by everybody, and is still mis-read today 6 frickin' years later.

• Upvote 6

another thing to note is Jim drove over their directly his pits were on the other side with the rest of the indys and judging the way tom finished jim could have finished the race and parked but he chose not to, he decided to be a Pr*** and go mess with tom, which is never a good idea. He paid for it and tried to act all innocent but you can tell the way that interview went he was hiding the fact that it was his fault.

• Upvote 2

I remember seeing that on tv, Jim's got a real low temper, I would have probably exploded with anger :angry::angry:

Forgive me for lack of humor or whatever, but I believe that was something else. He was giving the thumbs up to a tech-offical that he was ready. Just looked off from the angle of the t.v. camera.

• 2 weeks later...