Building MTM3...

Jpez1432

Hello all,

Don't know if any of you know/remember MFR (Monster Freestyle Racing), it used tracks/trucks from MTM 1 & 2. I've learned a lot of programming since well, the end of '09 when I "disappeared" for the last 4 years. Anyways.. I posted a similar message on MTM2.com and MTM2Draggers.us looking for help on modifying the source of RORs and actually building a new game. I've looked at the source to ROR and it is clean, efficent, and looks like a great game to base "MTM3" on. Physics mainly. If anyone is interested please message me back or email me at jpez1432@gmail.com

• Upvote 2

No, ROR is released under the GNU GPL version 3... it is able to make any changes we want but as long as the source code is released with it as well. Pretty much just like ROR is. It wouldn't be able to be sold as well. It will always remain open source so others could learn from it.  Some of the main things I would like to do is build an actual Graphics User Interface (GUI) no offense but the one from ROR is pretty bad. We could build a lot of the server/network code and the leagues into the game like MTM. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. I'm not going to take on this project by myself but if I can recruit enough people to help then we can move forward. I'll post some more stuff on my website natas8.com as I think of it. We need artists/modelers/track makers/truck makers/need better sounds.. and on and on.

Well, you pretty much have all the makers you need on this site. I'm pretty sure a few people would like to help out on this site. The people on this site have made stuff that I haven't seen done better by any non-professionals. Sounds like a sweet idea. Should be interesting to see this unfold.

No, ROR is released under the GNU GPL version 3... it is able to make any changes we want but as long as the source code is released with it as well. Pretty much just like ROR is. It wouldn't be able to be sold as well. It will always remain open source so others could learn from it.  Some of the main things I would like to do is build an actual Graphics User Interface (GUI) no offense but the one from ROR is pretty bad. We could build a lot of the server/network code and the leagues into the game like MTM. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. I'm not going to take on this project by myself but if I can recruit enough people to help then we can move forward. I'll post some more stuff on my website natas8.com as I think of it. We need artists/modelers/track makers/truck makers/need better sounds.. and on and on.

Love the idea. BUT I truly don't think RoR is the best for creating a new game. I think you should use some of the more advanced engines like Cryengine 3, Unreal Engine etc, if you trying to create a whole new game from scratch. RoR/Ogre3D is already outdated it self. I feel if you tackle the idea of building a NEW game, you should probably use a NEW engine.

• Upvote 2

I suggest doing this with a new system from the RoR creators called "BeamNG" using the Torque3D engine. 

It will allow you soon to create your own races and events or which ever within a game. Its game engine in a game if that helps you...

Its still in early Alpha and races being added shortly.

RoR however never actually had an planned release. RoR also didn't have an AI system, this does already.

This does, 

Game: $15 http://sites.fastspring.com/beamng/product/alpha

Recent Development:  http://www.beamng.com/blogs/

Its worth it really. 

We here are already developing monster trucks for the game.

The game is going to have an update pretty soon with:

-Core physics increased by 20%, those who lag will probably lag less unless you use integrated graphics. 

-New road textures

-Compatibility for heavy machinery (semis) *cough monster trucks cough* 

-Lua Coding, makes debugging and coding a lot easier

-Normal fixing, no more flickering textures on roads

-Racing system, create and edit races on any map by triggers, will work with AI soon

-You can edit the paint of the trucks within the game.

I'll look in to BeamNG. I've seen videos on YouTube and it does look impressive. I believe it is from the creators of RORs. As for the comment on the CryEngine , it cost 30% of revenue of x months/years... possibly being upwards of 1.2 million. Being most everyone would want to include "licensed" trucks "bigfoot, gravedigger, MaxD" whatnot we wouldn't be able to sell it. As for the UnrealEngine, it appears that it is free to use as a noncommercial product which is what we would want.. Make it open source and all. There is another engine called "Unity" I'll have to check into that also. The 3D engine could be done easily I think I could even take on writing a 3D engine, the guts of it is the physics. I would make it a must to use "Soft Body Physics" it is an absolute must after playing all the random monster truck games and basically they suck. ROR is by far the best anyone has even come close to. Looks like enough people are interested and wouldn't mind helping. I'll start reading up on soft body physics and digging deeper into ROR source. Comments?

I wouldn't suggest using BeamNG's coding yet. It is chalk full of errors that have yet to be fixed. Using it as of right now is a complete joke. Maybe when they fix all their faulty errors then you should consider it.

I completely agree with this. As of now BeamNG is a mess. Hopefully in the future they can fix it up.

I'll look in to BeamNG. I've seen videos on YouTube and it does look impressive. I believe it is from the creators of RORs. As for the comment on the CryEngine , it cost 30% of revenue of x months/years... possibly being upwards of 1.2 million. Being most everyone would want to include "licensed" trucks "bigfoot, gravedigger, MaxD" whatnot we wouldn't be able to sell it. As for the UnrealEngine, it appears that it is free to use as a noncommercial product which is what we would want.. Make it open source and all. There is another engine called "Unity" I'll have to check into that also. The 3D engine could be done easily I think I could even take on writing a 3D engine, the guts of it is the physics. I would make it a must to use "Soft Body Physics" it is an absolute must after playing all the random monster truck games and basically they suck. ROR is by far the best anyone has even come close to. Looks like enough people are interested and wouldn't mind helping. I'll start reading up on soft body physics and digging deeper into ROR source. Comments?

Like I said, I think its a great idea. I'd even be willing to help out and make content for the project. But before you jump and go straight to using Ogre 3D and Rigs Of Rods, I think looking into more engines would be a better idea. I see as though you already have and thats good, but the more research people do, the better. RoR is limited compared what is out there. Thats the only reason why I say try to find another engine. It will have a more lasting value, and it will probably create a better looking game.

I forget exactly what engine the game Spin Tires runs but it has deformable ground, mud and water. Could be worth taking a look at, also I'm not 100% sure on this but doesn't Microsoft still own the MTM name? If so that kind of kills off using the MTM3 name unless its planned to be freeware. I'm game to help with whatever I can.

I forget exactly what engine the game Spin Tires runs but it has deformable ground, mud and water. Could be worth taking a look at, also I'm not 100% sure on this but doesn't Microsoft still own the MTM name? If so that kind of kills off using the MTM3 name unless its planned to be freeware. I'm game to help with whatever I can.

Havok Engine. Yes. Look into Spin Tires. The graphics are beautiful and the deformable ground is amazing. Runs so smooth too. I'm gonna look into the Havok Engine.

Not sure how long a name can be copyrighted but, like I mentioned in one of the other posts.. people are going to want to have licensed trucks like "Grave Digger", "Maximum Destruction", "Nitro Circus" and whatnot... I'm pretty sure were not going to get those licenses. As I said it is going to have to be open source and freeware no matter how you cut it with having trucks like that... Pretty much free domain. Anything and everything can be done to it. I'm not sure on Havok. I did read it had soft body physics but not sure if it is free. I'm going to be working on getting a forum going on my site natas8.com and then we can go from there.