Do You race? Trackday? Autocross?

Jmchenry

• 3 weeks later...

After my internship this summer, I should be close to another build up. This time an 06 Tacoma 4door shortbed. Going to start out small this time and build up in stages. Going to start with Camburg LT, and DMZ's race proven spring under kit instead of 4-links. Fox coilovers and bypass shocks. Ran into a bit of an issue with King. They burn up oil too quickly. Also going with a DMZ bed cage and duel vertical tire carrier and front bumper/skid plate. The plan is to make the Ranger a dedicated Baja truck and the Taco will be more for prerunning events.

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

I've been out of the game a couple seasons now (rebuilding car)
but locally we run events at the fairgrounds, at Papajohns Cardinal stadium, and at UPS's main airport lot and a couple times a year we get to run on the runways at Ft.Knox

Spectators are welcome and its all free to watch. (tho sometimes its hard for spectators to gain access to knox without being with one of the racers.

just find the website for your local SCCA chapter and find their schedule. It'll be obvious where you shouldn't be...
Make a couple friends and talk to the event officials and you may get assigned a spotter who will take you out to the worker stations ON TRACK to get some pictures in.

also... if you get good shots (or video is better) and post them you WILL make friends...

& @Demko,

we have A TON of regulars out giving their family 4drs all they got, everything has a class. H-Stock *civics corrolas, sentras, neons, is probably our biggest class on average... STS and STX *subarus,evos,BMWs, audis, etc are big turnouts aswell.

it doesnt matter if you have a VW bug or a 911 twin turbo. I've seen everything from pintos to legit Shelby Cobras run.  pickup trucks are welcome too as long as they are not lifted 2wd or awd (4x4 offroad not exactly welcome most of the time due to rollover potential) .

& @Demko,

we have A TON of regulars out giving their family 4drs all they got, everything has a class. H-Stock *civics corrolas, sentras, neons, is probably our biggest class on average... STS and STX *subarus,evos,BMWs, audis, etc are big turnouts aswell.

it doesnt matter if you have a VW bug or a 911 twin turbo. I've seen everything from pintos to legit Shelby Cobras run. pickup trucks are welcome too as long as they are not lifted 2wd or awd (4x4 offroad not exactly welcome most of the time due to rollover potential) .

Interesting. Might have to take Amiees M3 out to an event. I was talking more along the lines of building a prerunner again. If you know me, you know that I love my desert racing. Would love to get back into it and build a new truck, but with a baby and a wife that's about to go back into surgery for the umpteenth time, building a 40+ thousand dollar truck just isn't feasible atm...

no I understand your issues, most of my former competitors are in the same shoes.

but M3s are probably the best out of the box package for autocross next to a miata of all things.

SCCA solo II and rallycross competitons (not usually any jumps just dirt/gravel tracks) are pretty much the cheapest way to get back in the racing seat.  all you need is a DOT approved helmet, seat belts, solid wheel bearings, good brake pressure and a throttle return spring (and take the floormats out)
after your rookie stent is over (depends on driver skill) you can take as many passengers as have seat belts if you want (as long as their 10+yr old) for some family fun.

a membership will run you about $150/yr ish and each event will run you about $50.... scca also gets some serious discounts for stuff you wouldnt expect....

I haven't raced much in my life except Go-karts pretty much but I don't like to count that lol. For those that know me well though, I have worked with multiple monster truck teams and went on tour with Straight Up Racing as a crew guy for a short time last year. Currently I am the crew chief of a jet train racing team known as Team Steam. I do plan on continuing to pursue monster trucks though as that has been my dream since I was only 5 years old. I have been fortunate to have driven 2 ride trucks around during my adventures and even start up and ride in a few race trucks, but I'm still working for my chance to race.