Statement regarding Goldberg 2001

John Dough

Now, I'm new here, so my opinion may not much. However, if this was a joke I beleive it was a stupid joke. Joking about a virus is not funny. People have very sensitive information on their computer(credit card numbers, bank accounts, etc.) they also have sentimental things such as photos and videos of their family. If that information were to get out then that could result in things such as identity theft among things, and you could lose the sentimental things I mentioned. You guys could have done a better April Fools joke like say you were shutting down or just Goldberg the site out.

For those of you familiar with reddit here's what a subreddit I frequent did: http://i.imgur.com/0m2GTIF.png

This is what the sub usually looks like: http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/

A simple layout change would have done. By doing this you are freaking people out, as evidence by this sub. So if this is a joke, I encourage you to come forth and stop it.

Of course if this isn't a joke, then sorry and hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

People have very sensitive information on their computer(credit card numbers, bank accounts, etc.) they also have sentimental things such as photos and videos of their family.

Back-up external hard drive bro....

Of course they make no sense to new users, they're just that, new. They don't get the jokes yet. But it also looks terrible to potential new users when they see a joke about a file infecting people. It discourages them from joining because they see they may become infected. It just doesn't look good to new users.

But whatever. It's a joke. Maybe I'm just too serious about it.

On any other normal day you would be correct. It will probably come across as an excuse but the reason for the jesting was of what day it was. We have done quite a few things over the years, first year we redid the whole site in a My Little Pony theme, the next was that the site was put up for sale and last year was a spoof truck pack update that had irked people. This year was kind of a last minute dealo, the site went down because of the payment needed for site hosting company to pay for the coming month did not occur properly (this has happens numerous times over the year), however it never happens as late as it did yesterday. This thread started a day before and it was too good of a coincidence to pass up. I originally posted on the facebook page for Sim Monsters that someone uploaded a malicious file which intent was to wipe the site clean. Just that alone got quite a few people but then to get the skepticals, there was a few members that rushed to make a free forum site (Sim Monsters II) so we could "rebuild" and this got even more people believing that the whole deal had merrit. The original site went back online and the joke almost completely died. But there was a quick brainstorm, what if we uploaded a file called Guldberg onto the site? Everyone was right back to being confused, what the heck? Where did that Guldberg truck come from? How did he upload it and approve it without a moderator or admin allowing it? Oh my!

Really people just need to take a step back for a split second before jumping onto conclusions, do you really think we would allow a malicious file to be uploaded, approved and left up to download? Even as a new member I do not think you need to guess what the answer is for that. But if this instance really bothered you that much to the point you no longer want to visit here, I cannot control that. Reality is you are going to run into malware,spyware, virus or other wonderful stuff on the internet eventually, the more time you spend on it the more your chances increase.

• Upvote 1