How does the trans work?

Hornetguy97

So I noticed around here people saying they stay in first gear a lot. But on all the onboard I watch, they shift up? So is it a 2 speed semi-automatic? What is the shifter set up like? Is it like a car or the ROR HUD?

Hopefully someone could help, it's got my head In a whirl.

its similar to almost all drag cars, most teams run a transmission based off the gm powerglide, which is a 2 speed automatic, but the have a manual valvebody to control what gear they are in, other manual valve body trans used in monster trucks are: th350, th400. C6, tourqueflite, but these are very uncommon, then there are trucks like the hall brothers that run a Lenco 2sp trans, not sure if they are running a centrifugal clutch or torque converter, and then xdp the diesel runs a single speed reverser box which all he has is forward, neutral or reverse nothing else.

I'll try to keep this simple. 

For a good portion of most runs in stadiums you run in second, obviously there will be times where you have to drop it down to first to keep the RPMs from dropping off to far and stalling the truck. 

As far as re-configuring the trans, what you'd be a lot more likely to do is change the gear ratio. 

Some trucks, including the ones on our team, run 3 speed transmissions. In most cases, 3rd gear is rarely used. I can think of one time that one of our team trucks has used 3rd gear, but that's it. 1st gear is a commonly used gear, but 2nd gear is used mostly when running in arenas, stadiums, speedways, fairgrounds, and even the beach. In wheelie contests, most drivers will roll up to the ramp in 1st gear then slam it into 2nd as they pin the throttle going up the ramp. Some drivers might just hit 2nd gear and roll up to the ramp with a little more speed behind them. In stadium Chicago style racing, it's 1st gear off the line, but most drivers will throw it into 2nd before hitting the first ramp, then keep it in 2nd the whole race.

Some trucks, including the ones on our team, run 3 speed transmissions. In most cases, 3rd gear is rarely used. I can think of one time that one of our team trucks has used 3rd gear, but that's it. 1st gear is a commonly used gear, but 2nd gear is used mostly when running in arenas, stadiums, speedways, fairgrounds, and even the beach. In wheelie contests, most drivers will roll up to the ramp in 1st gear then slam it into 2nd as they pin the throttle going up the ramp. Some drivers might just hit 2nd gear and roll up to the ramp with a little more speed behind them. In stadium Chicago style racing, it's 1st gear off the line, but most drivers will throw it into 2nd before hitting the first ramp, then keep it in 2nd the whole race.

Wow i never knew all that. thanks for the good info should help in reconfiguring the .truck file. giphy.gif

Knowledge is key! But what is point of 3 if never used?

It's just the type of transmission that Michael Vaters prefers using. It's a Ford C6 that runs in his three monster trucks, Black Stallion, Iron Warrior, and Higher Education (Black Stallion is currently running as Monster Mutt Rottweiler and Iron Warrior is currently running as Safety-Kleen Black Stallion). Mike is a Ford guy, so he runs a lot of Ford or Ford designed parts. Overkill Evolution is the only truck on Vaters Motorsports (it's actually owned by Marty Garza with Truck Toyz Performance) that runs a Coan Powerglide 2 speed transmission.

But even though 3rd gear is rarely used, it does help when it comes to reeling in the competition in a long race. I remember in Englishtown, NJ at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in I believe it was 2012 or 2013. It was a race between Jim Tracey in Higher Education and Mike Vaters Jr. was driving Iron Warrior at that show. Mikey was beating Jim the whole race, but after they made the U-turn, Jim threw the bus into 3rd gear and was able to beat Mikey by about two or three truck lengths.