Can a modern Monster float?

rockgod88

Tons of other leafers could float.

In this video, they drive a few across a pond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOm_dYs8-78

Technically this is still floating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwwddWg08Nc

Now as for floating a modern monster truck? According to the 2011 Monster Jam yearbook, "Old School" trucks weighed in at about 15,000 LBS. Obviously with the many different shapes and sizes truck were in those days, we could probably argue that that estimate could give or take about 1,500 LBS, maybe even more. Now, we all know monster trucks weigh 10,000 LBS, but from what drivers have told me, FELD's fleet currently weighs about 12,000 LBS on a CRD, and sometimes about 13,000 LBS on an Inhouse/Cohen chassis where more things have had to be added to keep it up to date. So with weight being an issue I suppose it possible. I won't look into tire pressure because technically you could just inflate the tires more if you planned on doing this. So, in theory, yes, Modern Monster Trucks can float. The real issue comes with how modern trucks are designed notice in those videos how much the trucks using single tires sink in before floating? They can only survive that because in those trucks the engine is really high up above the frame. In a modern truck it would be very likely that the engine would be submerged.

It has nothing to do with the weight of the truck. More like the buoyancy of the tires. Since tire technology has made them light, they would more buoyant than the older trucks. They are essentially outriggers. Physics 101. Also as long as the exhaust and intake are above the waters surface, the engine would still be able to run.

It has nothing to do with the weight of the truck. More like the buoyancy of the tires. Since tire technology has made them light, they would more buoyant than the older trucks. They are essentially outriggers. Physics 101. Also as long as the exhaust and intake are above the waters surface, the engine would still be able to run.

Yeah, but I figured not really much has changed with the tires, they can be made more buoyant by inflating them more, so what I was saying is that if the tires can be just as buoyant, then the truck easily would be able to float. I honestly have my doubts about whether or not the intake and exhaust would be above water on most trucks today. I suppose you could really gas up the shocks and over-inflate the tires, but that'd probably make the truck really unstable and it's probably flip, but it could work. Overall, probably not going to see a modern truck floating any time soon.

With the direction that modern chassis design has gone, I highly doubt that you'll be seeing a monster truck do any type of floating any time soon. As Mason said, the exhaust will more than likely be submerged and the intake could potentially reach the surface of the water. If the exhaust gets changed to upwards facing pipes, then there's more of a possibility there. And, I do think BKT tires would be good for a situation like this seeing as they can take as much as 35 psi whereas a Goodyear can go as high as 20 psi, a Firestone going as high as 25 psi, and an EcoWork reaching around 25 psi. The buoyancy of the BKT tire could help with floating, but it does pose more of a risk of tipping because of it being very buoyant. I guess you can never say never, though.

Lol yeah

Bob chandler sayed that his bf 1,2 and 3 could float because they where stage 1 monsters (stock frame) and the rest couldent because they were too 'heavy' stage 2 (heavy strait frame)

So i guess a modern truck could float but be submerged cause it sits too low.