Minecraft Servers down

BobJones23

Not at all a car game at all, but I figured I'd start a discussion about it.

AS of about 24 hours ago or so, a person/group by the name of "HOICSquad" tweeted "At 2am GMT @Hypixel (a minecraft server for those who don't know) will be punished via DDoS." The page has been suspended from Twitter since. For those who don't know, DDoS stands for Disributed Denial of Service. What happens is a server is overloaded with information sent by the DDoS'er, causing it to crash. The "HOIC" in "HOICSquad" is a reference to the program most likely used to launch this attack, "High-Orbit Ion Cannon" (Google it if you want information.) It started with the 2 biggest servers in Minecraft. Hypixel, one of them, was DDoS'ed and crashed. The majority of server traffic went over to Mineplex, crashing that. It was an unintended side effect of the DDoS. As of 4.5 hrs ago HOICSquad somehow took down the main Mojang (Minecraft's developer) authentication server, shutting down every server in existence.

Thats all that has really happened since.

Sorry for shoving a lot of info into one post, but if anyone semi-actively plays Minecraft, what are your thoughts?

Well then.

Either way, if no one cares, I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

Screw it, I'm gonna keep posting info as i get it.

As of about 5 minutes ago, somehow the entire website was brought down too,

The sad state of the matter is that even if they get caught the punishment for DDOS'ing is basically nothing. Even a couple of the idiots from Lizard Squad that got caught were punished with a slap on the hands. 

Well, as no one on this website seems to give a s*it about Minecraft...

I care about it...just never used the servers. Seems like I'll be waiting a bit longer now. I appreciate Minecraft immensely. Helps relieve stress on finals weeks. It really is unfortunate that at the end of the day, no real punishment will be handed out, as stated before.

Demko, did someone leave you in a salt shaft? :P

except when you BLOW UP MY HOUSE 3 TIMES

Turn it into a trap that only you can work around.

Minecraft can be fun but for me personally it's a game I play for a few months and then forget I have it for a few months. Just about every major game seems to get DDoS'd these days, I wouldn't be shocked one bit if they went after Valve at some point in all honesty. It's pure stupidity at work, thousands of people possibly hundreds of thousands or even millions in some cases are being punished by these idiots for no reason, it's not going to hurt the game/company for anything longer than a short period and then after that they will grow from the free publicity that they'll get from news of them being attacked spreading. If they really want to play the hacking game I can think of hundreds of places they could start although if they get caught by them they likely will never be heard from again.