It's time for a change

acdcfan56

Hey. Mr. P.P. If you don't have anything good to say, then say nothing please.

Well said Mr. ac/dc. I'm a total floater with this game, I'll admit that. Since the jump from MTM2 to RoR, I have contributed nothing. Before the change, I was getting good with BinEdit and PSP 7 for MTM2 modding. I have very slowly started to get a grasp of Blender and plan to use PSP 7 for modding this game. Started some truck repaints, but tracks are really what I want to get the hang of first.

Is there a common version of blender that everyone uses around here? I'm running v2.49.

Just started incompetently dabbling in blender the last two weeks or so, I'm going to keep trying.

Green.

So you are the Greeny from MTM2.... you may see some old names from those days floating around here. B)

If you're interested in learning and are afraid of posting it publicly you can always show it to a few people privately and get some opinions but remember we ALL started with very basic things to get to the point we're at now. I haven't really posted in SYP as of late because to me nothing I make will ever be good enough. Is it easy to learn how to make things for any game? No. It almost never is but if it is truly something you want to do then the only thing that is going to stop you is yourself.

RKM:

I can still paint, but blender is all new to me. I'm thinking I might release some of my paint files as I practice. Open to the public, so anyone can use the textures to practice or take the projects to the finish line.

My goal right now is to get a small track together. I am working through RockCrwler's tutorial and I'm about 60% successful. I remember BinEdit took awhile to get used to, but it wasn't so bad once I put the time in. Hopefully, the same happens with blender.

Thanks for encouraging words,

Green.

Look i started a few years ago when sketchup was a thing. I was on ALL the time trying to get better. Then blender became a thing and i moved to that. and i started out just terrible. I got better from Custom World Finals 1 to whatever one i released last. yea i pretty much only did world finals but whatever. the reason i got away from making things is because everyones tracks got better and mine just was the same old same old. Id ask for some pointers and id get "mess around with Photoshop/Blender, thats what i did" so id spend hours just clickinng and trying everything. looking up things. nothing really helped my tracks. So id ask whoever if they can help me more in depth, well everyone would say they would and it would never happen. so then i just simply stopped making stuff, and i barely even come on the site anymore. I dont even have RoR anymore, just blender. If you guys are finally willing to help, id love to get back into making stuff. I dont have as much time anymore because i grew up a lot. (Job, School, Driving, Etc) but i do still have some time every now and then. 

Im glad you guys are doing this, makes me think there is a future for this site again. 

Man, where do I start? I guess I'll just start by showing some of my personal progression, it's quite astonishing when I go back and look at it.

These are some of my earliest tracks. The first being completely made in Toolkit.

screenshot_11.jpg

Very terrible, but it got me started.

After about 9 months of practice, I had progressed to this stage.

This is the first track I ever released on this site.

6242695690_d3dfca6f21_b.jpg

This was the first track I ever got in-game from Blender.

6392193215_68aa53c210_b.jpg

Jumping to now, these are some of my latest tracks.

23995168a3.png

82098d76a0.png

705c4898db.png

baadda8bd1.png

Quite a big difference, as you can see.

I also did a bit of truck work back then too. This is the first real truck I can ever remember finishing and competing in; I actually got my first solo win in it.

6479494693_6874c4f0f1_b.jpg

These are the first trucks I made for V4.

6386155.jpg

Jumping to now, the change in quality is quite astonishing now that I look back.

956184.png

231981.png

bc9c8bcdf6.png

84ae997147.png

693827.png

Basically, this is a very round-about way of me saying that this all takes time. It has taken all of us who you see making what the community considers great content years of trial and error, failing, scrapping projects, and just overall improvement to get where we are. If you want to start creating content, don't expect it to be perfect the first time. Not only do people who want to begin creating content have to keep that in mind, but the community does as well. Not everyone can make their first truck like Johan. We all started somewhere, so be more understanding of the fact that some people just starting out now will be a little behind the curve on quality until they improve.

Don't be afraid to start making something! Importing a chassis and body into blender is how we all started! Find a simple paint scheme and try to recreate it without just copy and pasting a photo of the truck. There are plenty of people here who are willing to help you get started. I, for one, really try to help those who come to me on AIM asking for help as long as I have the time. There are a bunch of others who are the same as me. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We are the reason people are afraid to post a new project they are working on, because they see that unless it is perfect, people don't give it or the creator the credit they deserve for just simply trying. 

Don't ever be afraid to show us what you are working on, most of us are willing to give constructive criticism! As long as members of the community are willing to learn, we will be willing to help!

• Upvote 2

So an update to this. 

I am not gonna make a tutorial on how to make a truck for .37. Since we are probably moving to .4 I'm gonna wait until then.

I'm also gonna be piecing the new n/b trucks in terms of props together, so everyone can have it easy. Pretty much 1 CRD truck aligned will do for the majority of the rest and so forth. For now I'm just gonna make tutorials on how to wireframe, and whatnot so people can learn to model.