9 Injured in Monster Truck Accident

bkelly

During a monster truck show in Finland yesterday, Vesa Kivimaki's truck, Raging Bull, went over a large dump truck jump, and he landed hard, resulting in the right front wheel coming off. The wheel rolled into the crowd and injured nine.

Here's a link to the article: http://yle.fi/uutiset/six_seriously_injured_as_monster-car_tyre_flies_into_crowd/8213028 Here's a video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=155_1439079254

1.jpg

Another case of unsafe barriers between the trucks and spectators. Unfortunatly, outside of the US, this type of thing is all to common. I remember reading a thread about a similar incident in Mexico where the whole truck ended up in the specator area.

This isn't the first time this has happened, I remember bounty hunter was in an arena and his tire came off and bounced over the wall into the stands, fortunately everyone moved out the tires way and everyone was fine. I know there is a video of it out there, if I find it ill post it.

This isn't the first time this has happened, I remember bounty hunter was in an arena and his tire came off and bounced over the wall into the stands, fortunately everyone moved out the tires way and everyone was fine. I know there is a video of it out there, if I find it ill post it.

I watched that video and spent a week trying to find it on youtube again, couldnt though. It was in a very very small arena.

Not sure why we aren't placing some blame on the driver as it looks to be very clear there are no wheel tethers on the truck. I'm interested in finding out if that is indeed the case as this truck has competed in Monster Jam before. If there are it's not impossible for them to break but they usually slow the tire down quite a bit either way. This along with the lack of proper wall protection are the biggest issues I see from the video although there isn't really much that is going to keep a 500lb+ bouncing tire and rim assembly from clearing some walls if they're not tall enough. I watched the video a few times and the tire is just no match for the flimsy fencing they used to section off the areas of the track as it simply ploughed right through the fence versus scaling it. Either way it's a freak accident and could have happened anywhere and I hope everyone recovers fully.