Justin Wilson

Crazyboy335

While yes this is a serious matter, this was a freak accident with a very low chance of happening. Canopies are definitely needed, but we need is a CEO who isn't a brain dead dumbass who obeys only one corporation and a car built by Dallara that doesn't break into a million pieces when you look at it wrong. While the cars still need to break apart, maybe they should do so but in smaller fragments. It might take more time to clean up on every caution but at least we don't have drivers dying from getting hit by car parts.

It's definitely sad any time a life is lost but sadly it seems like that has to happen before anything to do with safety is improved upon. I watched a majority of the race because there wasn't anything else on that interested me and several of the crashes before Karam's I noticed an absurd amount of debris coming off of the cars even going back to Kimball's qualifying crash. I didn't like the feeling I was left with seeing that in all honesty. Yes the debris is helping dissipate the energy that the crash causes but the chance of someone driver or even spectator being hit with something are far more likely than they have been in the past. The one concern I do have moving forward if they decide to bring some form of canopy for driver safety is that no matter how strong they make it and how many things they test on it is that at some point it will give or break, how much that will take to cause will hopefully forever remain unseen outside of testing facilities. The energy always has to go somewhere, if any of you take a look at some of the crashes in the past that have claimed the lives of race car drivers you will notice that a large portion of them do not seem to be severe but you need to always keep in mind that a collision of any kind results in energy transfer and more often than not the damage we don't see is what claims lives. I may be in the minority but even I'm not sure a canopy would have saved Justin Wilson, it's possible he may have lived but with severe brain damage but one thing I am quite sure of is that he did not suffer at all and I do in fact think that he was killed on impact. We're left with a lot of questions that have yet to be answered but one day they will be answered and racing will be a little more safer but you can't make it injury or death proof. Rest in peace Justin, you will definitely not be forgotten.

051615_NASCAR_DickDamage_PI_JP.vadapt.62

Hate to be "that guy" but windshields will not prevent deaths but it MIGHT prevent some injuries, Jamie Dick (driver of the car above) was  hit in the helmet visor with a piece of tungsten doing half the speed of an IndyCar.  If it was an bigger track, I don't want to think of the outcome.  Racing is dangerous, it always will be. 

051615_NASCAR_DickDamage_PI_JP.vadapt.62

Hate to be "that guy" but windshields will not prevent deaths but it MIGHT prevent some injuries, Jamie Dick (driver of the car above) was hit in the helmet visor with a piece of tungsten doing half the speed of an IndyCar. If it was an bigger track, I don't want to think of the outcome. Racing is dangerous, it always will be.

This is true, but something should be done. Nothing will be "Death-Proof" but even like some sort of see-through debris catcher or windshield will help. One thing that has been brought up is making a car that doesn't explode into millions of pieces. But, as already stated, these things are unfortunately needed to open peoples eyes and show that things need to be changed

It's kind of like a waiver. When a person gets into motorsports, especially NASCAR, IndyCars, etc., they're basically saying that they understand the risks that come with racing, and that they'll take those risks. And sadly, sometimes it takes a death to prevent more.

It's kind of like a waiver. When a person gets into motorsports, especially NASCAR, IndyCars, etc., they're basically saying that they understand the risks that come with racing, and that they'll take those risks. And sadly, sometimes it takes a death to prevent more.

The biggest death in motorsports besides Senna's was Earnhardt's, I think Earnhardt dying finally made a lot of motorsports bodies realize that change was needed.  Thus mandatory head and neck devices (which should've been there a while before that) full containment seats, newer designed chassis/cars..  It's amazing to see how much safety technology has changed since 2001.