Official Monster Truck "Silly Season" 2K16 Thread

Nick Migues

On 5/16/2016 at 10:04 PM, Mark Colineri said:

Different angle but sooooooooon

is it me or is there a big hole/dip in the ground

Edited by Jon Cannon
Don't quote images and videos.

As much as I don't want to stir a conversation that's most likely been worn out a million times, what I consider to be a save is when the truck is brought back under clear control of the driver

So something like Tom's save in Salinas would be considered a save, while something like this, even though the body stayed off the ground, would be a lucky bounce

Is there not an official definition? Because there should be one

Lets make one, 

Save /sāv/ - To put a truck in a precarious position, on which the driver manuvers the truck in order to minimize the damage done. The truck must be able to continue afterwards. The driver must use skill to return truck to all four wheels (or number of wheels remaining on truck before precarious position was in current state, i.e. 3 wheels). Body damage is allowed as long as a tire is touching the perfomance area at all times. If any part of truck other than tire is touching the ground and the driver no longer has control of what happens, does not classify as a save. If no tire is touching the the performance area,    truck can not be rolled onto its roof. 

In sentence- 

Neil Elliot in Anaheim 2015 had two great saves. 

Tom Meents in Baltimore 2013 had an epic sidewall dont, that resulted in the truck rolling and returning to wheels. 

Snooty sounding response inbound...
For monster trucks I have always looked to the dictionary to properly define actions. The definition of "save" implies to "keep safe or rescue from harm or danger". What defines harm or danger is subject for debate, is it when the truck rolls? Sustains damage? When the body touches the ground? I would like to think that the term save should imply that the driver is or has maintained control and keeps the truck for rotating more then 180 degrees on a given axis. Anything past that should be labelled as a recovery (definition of recovery being "the act or process of returning to a normal state after a period of difficult") as once a truck rotated 180 degrees it is basically up to the law of motion and whatever bounce the truck happens to take.

With that said I do not look at what Tom did in Salinas as a save but that does not detract from the fact that it was awesome.

• Upvote 1