Official Monster Truck "Silly Season" 2K16 Thread

Nick Migues

Tyler Groth and Double Trouble beat Jimmy Creten and Bounty Hunter in an amazing final at RMR, as well as winning the first donut contest they've held at RMR. (They don't do freestyle Sat to save the trucks, I guess.) Surprisingly (IMO) The Felon made it to the semis against Groth. Kamikaze did not race, but it was there. It's a white trophy truck body with a skull wearing a gasmask on the side. Pretty sweet imo. Would've taken a pic, but my phone died. I'll get one up tomorrow night after the show.

16 minutes ago, EightBitMS said:

So apparently the MJ trucks now have a blinking light on the back to signal when they are reversing. Anyone know anything about that?

Those have been around for a while... Most trucks have some sort of warning device when they're in reverse. Either a light or even a siren. 

3 hours ago, steiale said:

Those have been around for a while... Most trucks have some sort of warning device when they're in reverse. Either a light or even a siren. 

Not sure if its FELD or the USHRA but I read a handbook with truck specs and it's required for all trucks to have a back-up alarm, or a light, or both.

On 8/13/2016 at 9:16 PM, litl_e_fan said:

Bryan Wright in Hooked won both racing and freestyle in Charlotte. 

I consider Bryan to be an incredibly underrated driver. He's a great racer and  he can lay down a decent freestyle no just with these independent promoters, but even on the FS1 Tour this year. With Trent out of the sport, I'm starting the Wright for Young Guns bandwagon.

32 minutes ago, steiale said:

I consider Bryan to be an incredibly underrated driver. He's a great racer and  he can lay down a decent freestyle no just with these independent promoters, but even on the FS1 Tour this year. With Trent out of the sport, I'm starting the Wright for Young Guns bandwagon.

He certainly is quite a performer. Haven't in person seen a barn burner run (again I should've gone to Charlotte) but he knows how to throw down 

do you guys think bkts will be around for awhile or do you guys think they'll just die off because their so bad i mean i like the design but i hate the lack of tread and idk if its just me or seeing every single truck with the same tires is giving me a headache

1 hour ago, Charlie H. said:

He certainly is quite a performer. Haven't in person seen a barn burner run (again I should've gone to Charlotte) but he knows how to throw down 

I can easily see the proof that he likes to go big out there. Shame he broke early in MetLife, which is where I went with him in the lineup.

35 minutes ago, Imagine_Dragons_fan said:

do you guys think bkts will be around for awhile or do you guys think they'll just die off because their so bad i mean i like the design but i hate the lack of tread and idk if its just me or seeing every single truck with the same tires is giving me a headache

The reality is they are under contract with FELD so they will be around, period. As for the lack of tread, FELD wanted, or at least approves of that as there were numerous issues with floors being torn up and pebbles/dirt/small pieces off of cars or anything that may be on the floor being thrown far into the stands with the deeply treaded Ukraine/Eco Work tires. You could even see this change taking part slightly before the BKT's were introduced because the EcoWorks FELD still owned had their tread shaved heavily down to where they were barely treaded anyway. Teams that used Goodyears or other tires weren't allowed to run them if they were heavily cleated for the same reasons. Some people might say it's taking it too far, but honestly it's all in the name of safety.

They could be a bit thicker ply though, that'd be nice.

Jimmy Creten sweeps racing and freestyle tonight, again facing Tyler Groth and Double Trouble in the finals. A lot tighter racing tonight; there were a lot of guys getting loose and spinning last night. Travis Groth had a great run and should've been the winner, with probably the most ragged edge run I've ever seen at Rocky Mountain Raceway. I seem to recall that RMR judging is particularly bad, though, and there's a tendency for the big names to win over smaller indies (Bigfoot and Bounty Hunter have won the last few years' freestyle IIRC). Kamikaze ran tonight, it was pretty good for a truck making its debut. No major issues like we see with a lot of debuting trucks. 

30 minutes ago, litl_e_fan said:

I mean if the trucks having the same tires really bothers you then I guess motorsports in general just isn't your thing. But yes, they will stay around because they're a major sponsor and nobody wants to lose those. 

its just i miss the older ways when everything wasnt the same