4.5.1 Syracuse

1029Eric

Yet another set of posts made by a couple of takers who want something in a version of RoR obviously not supported by any of the content creators of this site. Why don't you two try to figure out how to make/convert tracks to 4.5? Obviously no one else is going to do it for you. Figure it out yourselves instead of spam posting on this site and being a general nuisance.

• Upvote 2

Why do you guys have to be dicks to them? I understand that you guys don't think that we should move on to the better version of RoR because of the established platform we already have on .37/.38, but that's no reason to say "go figure it out" and not offer any help on where to find this information. Be courteous and try to help instead of bashing people. Would you like it if you had no clue what you were doing and someone treated you the same way?

Perhaps you're right. The difficult part is that it's quite hard to want to commit to helping someone learn how to do something, when they've shown very little willingness to learn in the first place. Nearly every post from these two have concerned them demanding tracks be made/converted for a different version of RoR since their arrival. Little interest has been made on either's part to learn the process, or even get acclimated to the site/community before making such demands or "requests".

There's been at least two users discuss with them the process of making/converting tracks, even noting how difficult it is to do so. One has even provided a link to a read-me discussing the process. So, they have been told on where to obtain information, and have gotten some manner of assistance on the subject.

Unless I'm mistaken, at this time, the majority of creators on this site have yet to divert attention to making tr?cks in 0.4.5., yet these two continue to spam these forums with requests for tracks to be made/converted in a version of RoR that I've already stated is "
obviously not supported by any of the content creators of this site." Since these two are the only ones being so vocal on trying to get conversions of tracks in to the version they are using, they should be more than capable of figuring it out. No one here is going to meet their demands. No one here going to do it for them, and quite a few here may actually know the process of doing the conversion to begin with.

When I started in MTM2, I read the read-me's, and taught myself how to make tracks. Only then did I start to get approached by users who offered some guidance and instruction to further my track making ability. In RoR I sought help, and while a few did their best to give me assistance, I once again had to figure it out on my own. I showed a willingness to learn, and to become a constructive member of the community.

Stomping in, demanding tracks be made for the version of the game you're using, and spamming the forums on the topic is unfortunately not the best way to make friends or have people assist you. Especially when it's a topic they've already showed some level of ignorance in.  

Perhaps you're right. The difficult part is that it's quite hard to want to commit to helping someone learn how to do something, when they've shown very little willingness to learn in the first place. Nearly every post from these two have concerned them demanding tracks be made/converted for a different version of RoR since their arrival. Little interest has been made on either's part to learn the process, or even get acclimated to the site/community before making such demands or "requests".
There's been at least two users discuss with them the process of making/converting tracks, even noting how difficult it is to do so. One has even provided a link to a read-me discussing the process. So, they have been told on where to obtain information, and have gotten some manner of assistance on the subject.

Unless I'm mistaken, at this time, the majority of creators on this site have yet to divert attention to making tr?cks in 0.4.5., yet these two continue to spam these forums with requests for tracks to be made/converted in a version of RoR that I've already stated is "
obviously not supported by any of the content creators of this site." Since these two are the only ones being so vocal on trying to get conversions of tracks in to the version they are using, they should be more than capable of figuring it out. No one here is going to meet their demands. No one here going to do it for them, and quite a few here may actually know the process of doing the conversion to begin with.

When I started in MTM2, I read the read-me's, and taught myself how to make tracks. Only then did I start to get approached by users who offered some guidance and instruction to further my track making ability. In RoR I sought help, and while a few did their best to give me assistance, I once again had to figure it out on my own. I showed a willingness to learn, and to become a constructive member of the community.

Stomping in, demanding tracks be made for the version of the game you're using, and spamming the forums on the topic is unfortunately not the best way to make friends or have people assist you. Especially when it's a topic they've already showed some level of ignorance in.  

I have already asked if there was a way and I read that link a long time ago. I have no idea whats its talking about. I have no experience with making trucks or tracks. I have also not demanded I first made a post suggesting we move to a newer and much better version of ROR. I was turned down so I made this request asking if someone was willing to convert track files for me. Even though few users agreed with me. Trucks work in 4.5., When I just downloaded ROR a few weeks ago how am I suppose to figure this out by myself. I asked for a tutorial (not on this post) but all I get is the "help" of a link showing coding and advanced files. If I just joined a few weeks ago how am I suppose to even know where to start. Just to be clear, I'm not familiar with 2 posts being spamming.

"Track Request"

Would like a certain track to be made? Ask here and maybe someone will be able to help you out"

The user made a simple request in a request forum. If you don't want to help, then don't respond. If anything in this thread is spam, it's the rude responses to people who have no business being here. I don't see a rule prohibiting content made for .37 and above.

The reason why it seems like no one wants .4.5 content is because people keep shooting down the idea of upgrading to post-.37 versions and making it seem like it's not possible, when in actuality it is VERY possible with a minimal amount of work (for .4.5, a small amount of conversion work is needed for terrains, while trucks are absolutely compatible). I believe the lack of progress here is down to stubbornness and laziness. For anyone who has used any version post-.37, you'll instantly realize how ridiculous it is to be using such an inferior version (to even .38 and especially .39.5 and above) when it requires such a tiny amount of effort to make things function correctly for post-.37 versions. And as I mentioned in another post, the lack of truck compatibility isn't down to the version of RoR, but rather trucks not being standalone (good example of a lazy shortcut that ends up causing a massive amount of "help me" posts on this site that could be prevented), and relying on a system that requires the V4 pack which is largely obsolete -- parts, textures, even truck physics -- it needs to be killed off and future releases should be completely standalone. At the very least, there needs to be download subcategories for different RoR versions. As for .4.5 tracks, there are about 5 new text files that need to be created, it's not hard and there is no reason why future tracks couldn't include both terrain systems so they are compatible for every version.

I'm going to convert the Syracuse track, and then I'm going to ask the creator if they will include the five extra files in their release so it's compatible with all versions, making it the first one on this site (that I know of). How does that sound?

• Upvote 1

The problem with this logic is, how is the request in this thread any different than someone requesting X truck/track to be made? In this case, it's not even a request to have something made, but rather a simple conversion (which is a million times less work). Request forums are going to attract only people who have no interest/time in learning to do it themselves, otherwise there would be no need for them. I too wish and hope that everyone attempts to do the work themselves before requesting, but sometimes it's not possible; and in this case, I want to see progress in this community and clearly others do as well while others want to prevent it.

• Upvote 1

You're correct. This request isn't any different from someone requesting a tr?ck to be made. The problem I have is from the very beginning: the seemingly blatant attempt to get a bit of content converted to a version of RoR that is largely unsupported by the content creators of this site, masked behind someone else words to hide their true intentions. This however is something that I allowed to stick in my craw, as I always tire of seeing people wander in with no contributions to speak of yet demand what they'd like to see in order for their requests to be appeased.

Outlawed AND RKM have both listed legitimate reasons as to why the conversions/upgrade is not viable at this time. They've both been creating content in the form of props, models, files, and physics for these trucks for a long time. I believe what they have to say a lot more than someone wandering in claiming “the trucks work in 4.5.”

Yet, Helen Weales, you seem that you know what you're talking about. Not only evidenced by the fact of what you've listed in this, and other topics, but by the content I've seen you share in the Show Your Projects topic. It always blows me away. If there is any one on this site more than capable of converting a track to 4.5., it's you. So, I wish you well with the endeavor.

In the mean time, I've had my fill with this whole discussion, and will do what I've should have done a while ago: shut my mouth and leave the topic alone. Good day.

Lets just finish this argument for good. In the near future we will most likely be switching to ROR 0.38 due to the fact that all tracks work and the trucks need minor setup tweaks to make them handle how we want them to in the newer version. 0.39 is out of the question due to its many bugs including not being able to lower the hud (huge problem for recording or streaming). The online system is also screwed where if one person leaves the server, everyone in the server crashes. 0.4 is barely considered stable and is about the same story as 0.38. The trucks will need major tweaks to keep up with the advanced truck setups for 0.4 since just putting the trucks in 0.4 doesn't mean the engine settings and grip are the same as they were in 0.37. As for the terrains, I have tried as well as a few other track makers and none of us have been able to get a track working in 0.4. 

We are left will really just 2 options. Switch to 0.38 for minor truck tweaks and continue to make tracks the way we always have or switch to 0.4 for major truck tweaks and completely changing the way we have gotten our tracks ingame. These reasons are why we are most likely switching to 0.38 in the near future and not making the huge leap to 0.4.

As a content maker for the past few years, this is my outlook on the upgrading situation.

Thanks. 

• Upvote 3

Here is proof that .3X content can work in .4.5 -- this is a track and truck I originally made for .38, along with DiggerFan's "Awesome Kong II" truck ("This vehicle has been tested to work with versions 0.37, 0.38, and 0.39" -DiggerFan), functioning fully and correctly. Seemingly no handling differences, either. I don't know about online playability for 39.5 and up (don't use it these days), but .38 has worked just fine for very large non-MT terrains with multiple users simultaneously. Sure there are occasional bugs and there always will be, even if this were an officially released piece of software. I understand that .37 has different vehicle characteristics than any newer versions (was under the impression there is only a +10 MPH difference), but it seems as if all versions after .37 are the same.

As far as I'm aware there are no rules against creating content for .38 and above on this site, and I will continue to do so.

EBAWH9w.jpgdi8rsZz.jpg
oTXQTDT.jpg

• Upvote 1

39.5 has online, plenty of servers. Use it mostly for 4x4/rock crawling. No matter what version you "upgrade" to there are drawbacks before you factor in truck and tracks. Admittingly the influx of 4.5 talk and requests has atleast brought to light both sides of the fence on the subject. Being honest, my first endeavour into content creating was for MTM2, only reason I even bothered learning how to do stuff was because nobody did it for me and nobody took my requests. So it is a bit annoying to have someone ask for something and make zero effort to want to learn how. I will atleast give Eric some respect in atleast showing some interest in learning how to convert tracks. That is how this whole content creating thing starts, change a texture or a simple mesh. I have been a crap modeller for almost 10 years now, still cannot texture worth a damn and beyond replicating things, lack the imagination to put what is in my head into substance but everyone starts somewhere.

The old cliche rings true: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

• Upvote 1

Learn* ;)

TJ if I stopped and personally helped every single person on here over the past 8 years (even if they did not ask for it), I would still be glued to my computer desk. I do not know exactly what else you expect members on here to do for people asking for stuff in 4.5, we do not use it currently for content nor competition, meaning that the majority of creators on here have maybe dabbled in 4.5 but do not to make stuff for it. People who have tried (Like Aaron) have posted information pertaining to what you would need to know/learn to do so.

• Upvote 1