RoR services down for tonight, migration to another server next month.

ShawnVallance

As the title states, today, Rigs of Rods's main website/forum (http://www.rigsofrods.com/) went completely offline. This means the multiplayer option in the configurator no longer works for tonight. Luckily, there is a GitHub site that still has the source code and the mp list still intact. If anyone is to play mp, I recommend using this site: https://github.com/RigsOfRods/rigs-of-rods/issues/795

*STATUS EDIT*: After a few hours watching replies, the site is coming back tomorrow and over the course of 31 or so days, all of the information from the original server will be migrated into a new one, so no one should be panicking anymore about this.

There was a thread on the beam ng site that was almost immediately taken down after a few posts, last post I saw was saying that the forum on there is not for ROR (even though it was put in off topic) and to "Stay tuned to the ROR website for updates", so I guess they are updating some stuff?

Not necessarily Outlawed, the services are being shut down for good. One of the people I know on skype told me that the site will be brought back up for a month for everyone to make backups of their belongings. As stated, after this shuts down again, GitHub's RoR page will be the only thing left.

From what I know, it's because the forum's activity has declined to a point where only a few dozen people were left, and the majority of the rest moved on to BeamNG. TDev noticed this and decided to just end the forum's life after all this time. The forum community there used to be massive, but again, as years passed by, the popularity declined as well. It was only a matter of time before this would happen, but I did not expect it to happen today.

Another update regarding this entire event: The RoR site now states this quote.

Hello everybody, this is only_a_ptr writing.

Things got settled with TDev, the server is being restored from today's backup, so nothing will get lost.

Stay tuned and be patient, things are going to be back to normal tomorrow. Don't stay up late though, the backup will take a few more hours.

Cheers.

No one knows if TDev decided to stick with the month-long restore decision or not, but time will tell.

EDIT: Things are going to be okay everyone. The recent GitHub notice from Hotrod55 (the same guy who's been keeping me up to date with the entirety of this roller coaster of a day via skype.)  states this:

We arranged a deal: I got admin access to rigsofrods.com. We have month of time to move our data to a different server. Then, TDev will pass me the rigsofrods.com domain so I can redirect it to our new place.
From @only-a-ptr on Gitter :smile:

Rigs of Rods is not dead, it still lives.

8 hours ago, ShawnVallance said:

From what I know, it's because the forum's activity has declined to a point where only a few dozen people were left, and the majority of the rest moved on to BeamNG. TDev noticed this and decided to just end the forum's life after all this time. The forum community there used to be massive, but again, as years passed by, the popularity declined as well. It was only a matter of time before this would happen, but I did not expect it to happen today.

I'm surprised something like that didn't happen sooner with how against new members everyone on their forum was ever since I first joined it. You can't really expect to have a long lasting community when they're main goal in almost every thread was to drive away any new members curious about learning and god forbid you tried to ask someone for help. Not saying SM is any better but at least some of us try to welcome to new members and gently push (or sometimes violently shove) them in the right direction for what they're looking for.

I don't think RoR is going to actually die though... not just yet at least.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RKM said:

I'm surprised something like that didn't happen sooner with how against new members everyone on their forum was ever since I first joined it. You can't really expect to have a long lasting community when they're main goal in almost every thread was to drive away any new members curious about learning and god forbid you tried to ask someone for help. Not saying SM is any better but at least some of us try to welcome to new members and gently push (or sometimes violently shove) them in the right direction for what they're looking for.

I don't think RoR is going to actually die though... not just yet at least.

Yeah, I'm surprised too that it held on for this long, and I agree with you on that.