On purchasing a monster truck

CarCrusher

3 hours ago, RKM said:

Only thing I have to add is I'm mildly disappointed not a single mention was given to Racesource but that's more of a personal preference. :) 

Actually, I was meaning to ask about them this morning. That’s Pablo’s shop right? I haven’t heard their name mentioned in years. What’s up with them?

Hey guys, I’m not sure if you caught it in one of my last posts, but I was asking about this computer game you guys play here. I know nothing about it. It looks like you guys build trucks on there and compete with them or something?? I was wondering if that program could also be used to design trucks you actually intend to build in real life?

1 hour ago, CarCrusher said:

Hey guys, I’m not sure if you caught it in one of my last posts, but I was asking about this computer game you guys play here. I know nothing about it. It looks like you guys build trucks on there and compete with them or something?? I was wondering if that program could also be used to design trucks you actually intend to build in real life?

Maybe this would fit better in the Rigs Of Rods main thread.

Guys, I hate to keep resurrecting this thread, but I just went back a re-read this thread because it was a lot of information to digest. Ultimately, my goal is to build a truck 100% with racing in mind. 

Having said that, I would like to see if I have the information straight.

Okay, so... it seems the biggest suggestions as far as chassis go were CRD, Cohen, and another one called David Smith (have no clue about this one). There’s also this “Eddy Makija” that keeps being mentioned. Let me see if I’ve got this straight:

CRD = Tim Carrol’s chassis, very high quality, low-CG, good for racing.

Cohen = Similar, but different chassis, also low-CG, high quality.

Eddy Makija = Clone of Cohen, also high quality.

PEI = High quality, but high-CG, not optimal for racing.

I’m not sure about Concussion or Racesource. They don’t seem to be mentioned very much.

I just want to ask this question, if you had to choose one of these with the criteria I mentioned in mind (i.e. racing being #1 priority) and money was no issue, which of these would you choose?

And as far as money goes, it’s no issue, but if there happens to be a cheaper option that is just as good a candidate for my criteria, and just as high of quality, I would like to know what that would be too. I do intend to purchase this chassis and begin building this truck at the end of this year.

Thank you guys so much!

There’s not many Racesource trucks out there, really none of them are competing much these days that I know of. There’s not many Concussion trucks either- Bigfoot 21, Monster Patrol, Wild Thang, the new Bear Foot, and Midnight Rider are the only ones I know of. They are good trucks, but high motor/highCG. The new gen PEIs- Stinger Unleashed, Pretty Wicked, and the new Jester- are lower CG but still not quite as low as the others I don’t think. Personally design wise I like the new CRDs/Cohens/Edys the best, and that’s probably what I would buy and they’re all basically the same truck,  not sure the price difference tho. The new PEIs are pretty stout too, Zane rolled his like 100 times last year and it still looked to be in good shape 

6 hours ago, CarCrusher said:

Thanks @NitroMenace

Okay, one more question and I’ll let this thread rest a while. Does anyone have any contact info on Paul Cohen or this Eddy Makija guy? Do they have actual businesses or businesses emails/phone? Thanks.

That I don’t know of, you’d just have to do some research on that one. 

15 hours ago, CarCrusher said:

For anyone who wants to know. I just spoke to Paul Cohen and Richard Midgette. Paul’s chassis are $23k and Midgette charges $38k for his 540 big block chevys.

38 is pretty stout for a motor. Steve Schmidt has a blown 540 for around 31. Not sure what changes would need to be made in order for the motor to run as long and as hard as the monster jam guys do, considering Schmidt is a drag racing engine builder.

5 hours ago, leggster said:

38 is pretty stout for a motor. Steve Schmidt has a blown 540 for around 31. Not sure what changes would need to be made in order for the motor to run as long and as hard as the monster jam guys do, considering Schmidt is a drag racing engine builder.

That’s the thing about Midgette that I think really sets him apart. He builds motors for MTs, and longevity. I actually had the chance to meet and work with Richard himself this week while we were at Diggers, and he is excellent. He builds great motors, and is an awesome person to work with and really cares about his customers and is basically the only one out there building motors to do what MTs do, so honestly it is probably the best bet if you ask me. 

2 hours ago, NitroMenace said:

That’s the thing about Midgette that I think really sets him apart. He builds motors for MTs, and longevity. I actually had the chance to meet and work with Richard himself this week while we were at Diggers, and he is excellent. He builds great motors, and is an awesome person to work with and really cares about his customers and is basically the only one out there building motors to do what MTs do, so honestly it is probably the best bet if you ask me. 

I’ve already decided to go with him. Money is no issue with me. I want the best, and I’ve been to enough MJ events to know that those engines are downright amazing. They sound strong and powerful, and like you said, built for longevity and reliability. I will almost certainly go with Cohen’s chassis too.

Midgette said his 540 chevys spec at 1400 hp at 10% overdrive (which I guess is what you’re limited to?). That sounds like one killer big block Chevy to me! I think with the Cohen chassis putting that power to the ground and the right setup that’s probably a lethal combination.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:27 PM, CarCrusher said:

I’ve already decided to go with him. Money is no issue with me. I want the best, and I’ve been to enough MJ events to know that those engines are downright amazing. They sound strong and powerful, and like you said, built for longevity and reliability. I will almost certainly go with Cohen’s chassis too.

Midgette said his 540 chevys spec at 1400 hp at 10% overdrive (which I guess is what you’re limited to?). That sounds like one killer big block Chevy to me! I think with the Cohen chassis putting that power to the ground and the right setup that’s probably a lethal combination.

Yeah you’re only allowed to run 10% on the super chargers which with MTs is plenty, and so is 1400 HP lol

On 2/12/2019 at 7:50 AM, NitroMenace said:

There’s not many Racesource trucks out there, really none of them are competing much these days that I know of. There’s not many Concussion

You know it’s interesting, coming from an r/c racing background, and having spent 18 years competitively in the hobby, I’ve come to really know a lot about balance, setup, and such. I’ve paid attention to the way certain monster trucks handle in racing, and certain chassis tend to hook better, but be a lot more tippy, while others seem to generate less side bite but stay planted. This is noticeable when you watch trucks race on turning courses and when they try to do donuts. For instance, I notice that Bigfoot 21 does some things very well (better than any other truck actually), but it struggles in other areas. Where it shines is in jumping and landing. It is probably the most plush landing truck I’ve ever seen. But it struggles in tight corners. That truck and trucks like it seem to have a very high roll center that makes them get tons of side bite, which prevents them from flat tracking well. I think the trucks that seem to handle all around the best from what I’ve seen are the new Hall bros trucks. The low-CG and long wheelbase seem to help them stay planted but generate tons of corner speed. I’m hoping to have a truck that handles this way. I’m all about the racing and trying to go fast!

And also, I think there’s no question that you have to give monster jam credit. They really do seem to have the best trucks. Their equipment is top notch. It’s just unfortunate that it’s all an inside job and those trucks cannot compete on other circuits. It would be sweet if trucks like Monster Energy, blue thunder and Digger could race on other series. But they’re not private teams. Kind of a bummer.

17 hours ago, CarCrusher said:

The foot trucks also run heavily cleated firestones which also changes the way the trucks handle in the corner.  Chassis CG is a component but you also have to take into consideration wheelbase, tire combo/cleat, shock set up/ride height