[Truck Sounds] Open-Headers/Zoomies (2000's-era Monster Jam trucks)

JackMProductions

This request isn't going to follow the traditional format because it really can't, so feel free to delete it if necessary, but this concerns trucks so it's being posted here.

We have some very high quality truck sounds out there to go with our very high quality trucks, but one type of truck sound hasn't been made properly. One that is extremely common but we haven't done justice yet, at least not in many years.

Here is what I'm talking about. Listen and weep.

This type of sound/exhaust goes by multiple names depending on who you ask, like open-headers, zoomies, etc. Regardless, they are specific and many trucks use them.
Now, just because a truck has similar looking exhaust, doesn't mean it's going to sound the same as another truck. Different motors, different tones. It will vary from truck to truck and team to team.
Also, that particular video and others from that same show can't be used due to the high amounts of mic distortion. That alone ruins the sounds.

Personally, I have tried at least 4 times to make my own versions of these sounds since March of this year, but I've never gotten it right once. I've spent entire days researching and sampling trucks like Time Flys, Stone Crusher, Predator, and Wrecking Crew, and they all sound off. Every time, they either sound too nasally or they sound like a VTEC engine. You can blame Rigs of Rods, you can blame recording quality, you can blame my audio editing skills, but regardless, it still doesn't fit the bill.
https://streamable.com/k2mqh6
Here is my latest and final attempt, using sounds from Team Scream trucks. It sounds decent for those trucks, but not what you hear in that El Toro video. Also, I only used Arctic Shock because I needed a truck to modify and that happened to be the one I chose.

Back in 2012, xunlex worked on truck sounds similar to these and, for the time, they were very good. You can hear them in this video. https://streamable.com/j2ecdy
In the year 2020, they are very compressed and distorted, and don't sound nearly as powerful as other truck sounds that are out there and I don't think they're up to today's standards.
There exists a sound pack called ZoomiesV2, also created by xunlex, and while they're fantastic sounds, they aren't what we need. Those sounds work best for a truck with long-pipe zoomies like Dennis' Grave Digger or Overbored. They have more of a treble-y growl to them and sound very coarse and gravely. The sounds we need are a lot more bass-y and have this massive roar to them, but are a bit smoother while still sounding rough and serrated.

This is a request to all sound makers out there, and those who are willing to comb the YouTube landscape to find what we need. We need these sounds.
This will not be easy, but so many trucks use these sounds and to have them once and for all would be a massive blessing to the truck making community.

• Upvote 1