Fraps can only hold so many videos?

Rcnut9

Question

O.k., so when I went to look at the videos for one of episodes I have on YouTube, windows explorer will freeze up if I right click on any of the videos. I was wondering if I have to many videos for fraps to hold, I think there are around 30 right now in windows explorer. My computer still had 125 gigabytes open, and I have the payed for version of fraps. Fraps has been working fine before and I haven't seen a problem like this yet. Help appreciated, thanks. Hoping some of you guys work with fraps in the first place.....

Also, when I now try to record something with fraps, it stops about 2 minutes through.

6 answers to this question

any windows computer runs on FAT32 filesystem, which was set in the early ninties, and at the time, computers had about 5 megs of storage at best when the standards were being laid down, so at the time, a gigabyte (one billion bytes) would've been myhtical.

as such, the FAT32 was coded with a filesize limit of four gigabytes, which would've been the stuff of bar room jokes at the time. since you're recording AVI at 20+ fps, there is no time to encode the video, so you easily hit the four gig limit for filesize.

as for windows freezing, you probably don't have enough RAM to hold said four gig files. my fraps will automatically skip to a new video file every time i hit four gigs, so mabye it's your version that's knackered, not putting down the ID3 tags when it hits the limit, which would render the file unplayable.

so trim down the quality, set an FPS limiter in "movies" in fraps, and odd on stop and start recording to save the ID3 writing.

O.k., so when I went to look at the videos for one of episodes I have on YouTube, windows explorer will freeze up if I right click on any of the videos. I was wondering if I have to many videos for fraps to hold, I think there are around 30 right now in windows explorer. My computer still had 125 gigabytes open, and I have the payed for version of fraps. Fraps has been working fine before and I haven't seen a problem like this yet. Help appreciated, thanks. Hoping some of you guys work with fraps in the first place.....

Also, when I now try to record something with fraps, it stops about 2 minutes through.

I have had this problem on many different computers. I'm guessing you have XP. If so meet up with me on aim and I'll send you the file I used to fix it.

any windows computer runs on FAT32 filesystem, which was set in the early ninties, and at the time, computers had about 5 megs of storage at best when the standards were being laid down, so at the time, a gigabyte (one billion bytes) would've been myhtical.

as such, the FAT32 was coded with a filesize limit of four gigabytes, which would've been the stuff of bar room jokes at the time. since you're recording AVI at 20+ fps, there is no time to encode the video, so you easily hit the four gig limit for filesize.

as for windows freezing, you probably don't have enough RAM to hold said four gig files. my fraps will automatically skip to a new video file every time i hit four gigs, so mabye it's your version that's knackered, not putting down the ID3 tags when it hits the limit, which would render the file unplayable.

so trim down the quality, set an FPS limiter in "movies" in fraps, and odd on stop and start recording to save the ID3 writing.

Well, the main problem that I was having was that the videos in windows explorer under the movies section on fraps would not let me adjust anything like deleting and watching them with windows media player. Also I have windows 7. What I was guessing was that maybe fraps can hold only hold so many videos? None of them were more than 4 gigs, and the ones that stopped recording halfway through didn't reach 4 gigs either. Thanks