IDS Announces: A Better Way to Qualify

runt9

12-27-12

IDS Offices

Dallas, TX

Ladies and Gentlemen, as the Owner and President of the International Dragging Series, I would like to take the time to make a special announcement.

As described before, I like to think of myself as an innovator of sorts. I had the first league in MTM2 to do weekly recap videos, and also the first to purposely hold events all over the world as an international tour. As an innovator, I hated the thought of telling everyone that if you are bad at this game, you're not allowed to race because you won't be able to qualify. So here I present the next innovation I'd like to bring to the virtual monster truck world:

The Randomly Selected Bottom Qualifier System, or RSBQS as I will refer to it from here on out, is a system that will give everyone a second chance if you didn't qualify for an event.

This is how it works:

- Each driver will qualify like normal for an event, running 2 runs and getting an average time.

- Half of the field will be selected from the top qualifiers list. This means, for example, that at a 16 truck event, the top 8 qualifiers are in.

- The bottom half of the field will be RANDOMLY SELECTED from the remaining qualifiers and seeded according to their qualifying time.

Because it's random, that means that EVERYONE has an equal chance to make the event, even if you didn't qualify for it. This also gives a second chance to people who are usually strong racers but botched a pass or two during qualifying. It offers a second chance to those who get nervous when the time comes to make a pass. No one should be punished for being bad at the game, and everyone should have a fair chance to make the event. Yes, you're still not as good as the people locked in, and you will still be put in the bracket against people who might be better than you, but at least you're given a chance.

That's what RSBQS is all about, folks. A chance. The excitement of knowing you screwed up a pass, but frantically refreshing the brackets page at 11:01... 11:02... 11:03 to see if the random number generator picked you, giving you that second chance to show the world what you're made of. You may be the worst racer in the world, but the best freestyler the game has seen. Great! Go out and do your best, and if you randomly get picked, now you can still go out there and show the world what freestyle means to you!

As for the questions and concerns I know I will get, I will address them:

"But Alex, the more people that qualify, the less likely each person is to get in!"

Yes, but isn't that the same with current qualifying standards? Except with current qualifying standards, you don't have a chance to get randomly selected. So isn't this better?

"But Alex, now those people who WOULD have gotten into the event didn't because of your dumb RSBQSFAWEHGASD system!"

First off, it's RSBQS... Second off, isn't it still the same problem as being the 13th qualifier for a field of 12? There will be unhappy people, but now you know that you not only had a chance at it on the track, you had a chance at it in randomness. So isn't this better?

"But Alex, what if one of these randomly selected people doesn't show up?"

Well, we do like we would do if one of the qualifiers don't show up: we grab the next highest qualifier who is online at the time.

I'm sure there are many questions and comments to be had, and I would love to hear them. I have sat down with my officials and they agree it's a great system, but I'd like to get the community's feedback before it gets written into the rulebook. So I ask of you, community: "What say you?"

• Upvote 5

I really don't see any downsides of this new system. I mean come on it gives you TWO chances to make the show instead of ONE. However, it will also be interesting and shake a few things up.

I see a downside of the #9 qualifier not making the field. I dont see how its fair that someone that made a good clean qualifying lap could get bumped out of the show by the lottery system by a person who flipped on both runs. Its your guys league, you do what you want.

"But Alex, now those people who WOULD have gotten into the event didn't because of your dumb RSBQSFAWEHGASD system!"

First off, it's RSBQS... Second off, isn't it still the same problem as being the 13th qualifier for a field of 12? There will be unhappy people, but now you know that you not only had a chance at it on the track, you had a chance at it in randomness. So isn't this better?

I see a downside of the #9 qualifier not making the field. I dont see how its fair that someone that made a good clean qualifying lap could get bumped out of the show by the lottery system by a person who flipped on both runs. Its your guys league, you do what you want.

Yeah, I understand your viewpoint. But think of it this way: Instead of there being 1 big window that you have to push and shove your way into, you have 2 smaller windows; one where you push and shove your way into, and another where you might get randomly sucked into. It's not really any different than just having smaller field sizes, except you still have a second chance. And yes, the bubble qualifiers can lose their spots to some random person who DNF'd both times, but at least you know you had the exact same chance to get in as everyone else.