Down Voting Poll

Roach

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want down votes available?

• Yes, I want down voting
    • No, I don't want down voting

Because down voting is a way of saying you disagree with something instead of posting, that's the point of it. And if you can upvote, and praise/agree with someone, but can't do the opposite, that's a bit of a hobson's choice isn't it?

I should probably shut up before this gets into a free will/censorship for 'good' discussion, but the point's there, why have one without the other, it's genuinely a stupid thing. And i can't tell you how many other forums get along really well with plenty of 'dumb' ratings. Facepunch has five bad ratings, one of which is for when someone insults someone else, and you agree. And it seems to be doing fine, and has done for seven years now.

It is pretty damn obvious how the up/down vote system is supposed to work and the simple fact is was abused be several people on this forum meant it was removed. Simple fix and it worked.

We all know how much you love to rail on this community Harlow, like an angry teenage daughter, but you never seem to make it to the door to leave...

• Upvote 2

Okay here is what I think will happen if we allow the down vote system. We see a project someone spent some time on and we down vote without saying why and how do you think this will make the person feel? Well of course not all of us are such novices at making things but we should applaud those people for spending their time on that project. Am i saying we should upvote everyones project? No, Im saying the least we can do is not have a down vote section for those people who bust thier ass to at least contribute to such an evolving community.

Okay here is what I think will happen if we allow the down vote system. We see a project someone spent some time on and we down vote without saying why and how do you think this will make the person feel?

Like he's done something poorly, that's the point of telling someone he's done something poorly

And how is the general theme of this thread "we can't tell people they're poo because that'll hurt their feelings." That's just encouraging awful things to be made, and if you tell a dog who's just shat on the floor that he's a good dog in consolation, suddenly the dog thinks that that's how it gets praised, so it'll do it more. That's exactly what's happened here

So you think by putting a damn down vote system is going to help them get better? if anything it will tell them to stop making it when they see 16 or so downvotes. The main reason people dont post stuff in SYP is because of people like you, who think it is acceptable to post "funny" images of saying how horrific it is and not telling them or spending some time out to help them with the project because yeah they can learn on thier own but they can learn faster when they have someone who knows so much about said project giving them pointers.

• Upvote 4

Yeah but the same way, praising people for making awful things is far worse, and seems to be a waypoint of today's culture, the best example being the slow march of skinner box and other gratification mechanics edging their way into literally everything we interact with daily. And if people are scared of making things because they're bad at it, then that's probably a clue they should think harder about how to do it

and when i do go on a massive 1500 word post critisisng things i get yelled at for being a bastard, and not nearly as many people complain when i go "well that's a bit crap innit mate" with a stupid image, and nobody listens anyway so i think i'm just going to yell at the wall for not being a load bearing structure forcing the other walls are making fun of it, and the wall civil war of walls should probably be diffused anyway.

No i think all the people saying downvote or no vote system are just mad because you cant downvote a person you dont like. Its either a yes or no for downvote. Dont start making other decisions because you cant have what you want. Ror forums doesnt have any dislikes and they are doing fine. Now thats just my two cents.

No i think all the people saying downvote or no vote system are just mad because you cant downvote a person you dont like. Its either a yes or no for downvote. Dont start making other decisions because you cant have what you want. Ror forums doesnt have any dislikes and they are doing fine. Now thats just my two cents.

Im not mad at all. Won't change my life if there is a downvote button or not on a website. It's just my opinion. I think a lot of people are taking this a tad too seriously.